• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Library War.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I can't say I really understand how this conflict between the Media Improvement Act and the Kantou Library Corps works out however.

Hehe, I totally agree here, that has to be one of the most ridicioulous (Sorry, I always misspell that one) settings ever - but I don't think the show takes itself too seriously, so I don't care a lot Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The premise is a huge stretch and massively corny, but once you get past that it looks respectable. It did not impress me as much as some other series have this season, however; had we gotten this one into our Spring Preview Guide, I probably wouldn't have given it better than a 3.5 (out of 5).

I really hope this does turn out to be a more light-hearted series. With such a questionable premise the series might fall apart if it plays too straight.

Last edited by Key on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the premise is a bit of a stretch, but I still enjoyed the first episode. The art and animation seemed fluid to me and I enjoyed the characters. I was looking forward to this show this season, and after watching the first episode, it did not feel like a let down or anything. I'll be watching episode two once the subbers get around to it.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
hell I don't give a crap about the premise, it's cute, it's funny and it's light-hearted without being idiotic. It's about the only one of that kind of show this season. The lead is likable enough and I'm digging the character designs. This show adds nicely to my spring season repertoire. yay! Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[quote="Aromatic Grass"][
There are some similarities between Library War and Revolutionary Girl Utena, as the main character Iku wants to be like her "prince charming." And there are similarities to Love*Com as well in that Iku is taller than the lead male character, Atsushi. I just hope they don't overplay the high complexes.

So basically the main male character is a pretty boy and has a gaggle of women at his disposal? Wow how original is that? After Utena and Love Com were mentioned, I somehow knew this series would be a shonen series with shojo moments.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
There are some similarities between Library War and Revolutionary Girl Utena, as the main character Iku wants to be like her "prince charming." And there are similarities to Love*Com as well in that Iku is taller than the lead male character, Atsushi. I just hope they don't overplay the height complexes.

So basically the main male character is a pretty boy and has a gaggle of women at his disposal? Wow how original is that? After Utena and Love Com were mentioned, I somehow knew this series would be a shonen series with shojo moments.

I said some similarities (two) and mentioned both of them. Everything in your above statement is nothing at all like the show. You should watch it and see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode and hope it continues in this vein. The artwork is quite nice, and I like the characters. The premise is interesting and different. Too bad it's only 12 episodes...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
First off,I think Kasahara's size is hilarious.It's different having a tall female as the lead.Episode one was good spoiler[ It felt very rushed though.She jumped a rank at the end of the first episode(Weslo mentioned it earlier,and the official website says the 12 episodes are spun off,from four light novels).]

In episode 2 they introduce spoiler[ Hikaru Tezuka.He's 22 years old,is a show off and is also scared of heights.Hikaru too,likes to scold Kasahara.The site says his father is the chairman of the Library,hmm?This episode has some funny ass moments,like when Kasahara's fear of a kuma attack comes into play,she has a great reaction.That's all I'm saying. Very Happy ]I've seen ep3,but I'll wait for the sub.Looking forward to more.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode. I am not impressed. Unlike others, I don't find the premise of the Media Improvement folks versus the Librarians all that corny or ridiculous. Spend some time on the various ALA listservs and you'll see just how militant librarians can be. We can be downright vicious when it comes to intellectual freedom. [Note: I'm using "we" but I'm not an official librarian yet. Another 8 months I'll have my MLS and will actually be one. At least in the U.S. working at the library does not equal being a librarian; just a note for the uniformed.]

Anyway, I enjoyed the opening and closing sequences, but everything in between felt very generic and predictable. It also doesn't help that Iku's seiyuu is the same as Kana from Minami-ke, and she's using the same voice for both characters, which means all I can think is that Iku must be an absolute idiot as Kana is. It's really messing up my viewing. The interactions between characters are tried, true, and a little too boring in my opinion. Fight, fight, squawk, squawk, cry, cry, lament, lament...yuck.

I'm still not sure why this keeps getting listed in the same breath as Utena. I mean, sure, the lead character wants to become a librarian because of a past rescue (same for Utena wanting to be a prince), but it's not even the same feeling there. Being a librarian is something people of either sex can achieve, whereas being a prince is a little challenging when you're sporting female reproductive organs. ^_- A hint of a parallel there, but it's certainly been done before in other series, and it'd be more accurate to compare to one of them (say, Sora wanting to become a Kaleido Star because of the actress in the "Alice in Wonderland" performance) than Utena.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The first episode wasn't that great to be honest, but I just saw that someone released the second and third episodes so I might as well give them a try to see if anything improves. But really, the entire premise is ridiculous. Why would they create a law that establishes a anti-book league (that's ultimately what it is) and then allow libraries to violently rebel? It seems counterproductive in the first place, and no government would be stupid enough to consciously create two groups that are set against each other yet both protected and given power by the the law. Maybe I just misunderstood, though. I'd like to believe that anyways.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Even if the premise is corny, who really cares? I certainly don't as long as it's a well done, enjoyable series. (Overall, at least.) Right now I think Library War is charming and I'm sure it will improve after that intro episode. Smile

Mylene wrote:
It also doesn't help that Iku's seiyuu is the same as Kana from Minami-ke, and she's using the same voice for both characters, which means all I can think is that Iku must be an absolute idiot as Kana is.

Same here. I thought Iku sounded a little familiar and had to look up her VA. I know Marina Inoue can do better than Kana, but at least her voice has some spunk.

Mylene wrote:
I'm still not sure why this keeps getting listed in the same breath as Utena. I mean, sure, the lead character wants to become a librarian because of a past rescue (same for Utena wanting to be a prince)...

This is the only reason I compared it to Utena, nothing more. It's only what I first thought of when I heard about the story and never meant for it to be any more than just a very minor comparison. I don't even see why it's being brought up again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
This finally got some fan sub love, the 3rd group working on this released the first 3 episodes at the same time.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
This is the only reason I compared it to Utena, nothing more. It's only what I first thought of when I heard about the story and never meant for it to be any more than just a very minor comparison. I don't even see why it's being brought up again.

Perhaps because it's featured fairly prominently in the first post of the thread? Kind right there in the middle of the screen with the bold lettering drawing your eyes right to it. ^_-

Also, I found an explanation on MyAnimeList's forums regarding why they would pass both the Media Improvement Act and Library Freedom Act given how contradictory it was. This is from the novels, so I'll spoiler it.

spoiler[The Ministry of Justice tried to control the mass media to suppress their outrageous behaviors such as intruding on people's privacy and providing biased information. The "Media Improvement" bill secretly passed the House of Representatives while people were distracted by other big political scandal. Some congressmen were worried about the bill's excessive power and they decided to reinforce the authority of the library to counteract the "Media Improvement Committee" censorship. The Ministry of Justice cannot control the library because it belong to the local administration and is independent of the central government. The Media Improvement Forces provided arms to some extremists who support the censorship and let them attack the Hino Library. After this "Nightmare of Hino Library", Inamine founded the Library Forces with heavy arms to protect books from the attack.]

To me it's just a case of checks and balances. The Media Improvement Forces do their job, but if it's felt they overstepped their bounds (or try that in a library setting, it seems) then the Library Forces stop the greater encroachment.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Perhaps because it's featured fairly prominently in the first post of the thread? Kind right there in the middle of the screen with the bold lettering drawing your eyes right to it. ^_-

Yeah, it's because I am too much of a consistency freak and haven't changed my style over to italicizing titles instead of bolding them. I do it with every title, which can be pretty distracting. Anime dazed As for the intro post, I couldn't think of anything else to say, and in order to describe the series I just borrowed a few titles and didn't mean for them to be compared any further. It was also meant to show how Library War sounded a lot like many other series. Smile

Mylene wrote:
Also, I found an explanation on MyAnimeList's forums regarding why they would pass both the Media Improvement Act and Library Freedom Act given how contradictory it was. This is from the novels, so I'll spoiler it.
To me it's just a case of checks and balances. The Media Improvement Forces do their job, but if it's felt they overstepped their bounds (or try that in a library setting, it seems) then the Library Forces stop the greater encroachment.

Thanks for looking into that; I thought there would be more to it than it being just one big contradiction. Now it makes a lot of sense to me and I agree that it sounds a lot like "checks and balances." Though I worry that there will be a lot in the novels that won't be explained.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Mylene wrote:

Thanks for looking into that; I thought there would be more to it than it being just one big contradiction. Now it makes a lot of sense to me and I agree that it sounds a lot like "checks and balances." Though I worry that there will be a lot in the novels that won't be explained.

Yeah, definitely, thanks a bunch for that, it really helps. Although I still think that it's early enough that if it hasn't been explained yet, who knows if it will or not in the future, so I wouldn't worry about a lot in the novels not being explained just yet.

Anyways, finally got around to watching this (all the way up through episode 3, btw) and I actually kind of like the premise. I'm just liking the whole idea of Libraries having their own military forces and being managed by them, mostly. And I don't care if it's a bit "corny" or what have you either, it just seems like a cool idea nonetheless. I also like how lighthearted it is as well, but at the same time I wouldn't be too opposed to having emotional, serious moments either, just as long as they don't interfere with it's original atmosphere. However at this point I will say that it hasn't wowed me in any way, probably not even enough to have an Excellent rating. I'm probably going to go with Very Good for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7