• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-02-02

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batou65

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
CruzMissile wrote:
thats epic. I LOL'ed. hard.

QFT. I rofl'ed & almost woke someone up.

Scars = badass. I have a bunch of them on my hands, but the best one is from getting an Exacto knife stuck in my leg.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
way to make lemon into lemonade!!

someone please license old Leiji Matsumoto's series like Galaxy Express 999 and Harlock!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I've heard that table saws actually work the best on those types of packages.

Great comic as always!

I saw the plot blurb on ANN's home page & thought "Great. Here comes the chainsaw!". Props to Robin for taking this in a different & still funny direction.
BTW, Robin's artistry looks similar to the cover of the "UMD-DX" manga that Carlo Santos reviewed yesterday... all 27 volumes!
Thank you Robin for creating not only the world of "Anime News Nina" spoiler[but a fun & silly anime that parodies the worst of shonen! Fans have glomped onto UMD-DX Big Time!!].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
Queen Esmeralda gag! LOVE IT!
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
Leiji Matsumoto reference FTW!!

Excellent comic aside, seriously, what is the deal with the packaging of a lot of stuff these days? I've broken scissors, box cutter blades and exacto knives on more boxes than I care to remember. Some damage on my fingers, too. Do the manufacturers really hate us with a vengeance? Laughing
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
Wow. I liked this comic already... It takes a certain amount of class to make a Leiji Matsumoto reference. Props to Robin on this one.

I have to echo this sentiment as well...
I wonder how many people didn't actually know this reference by sight, which I would guess is a fair amout, and I am sure it still plays out as funny.
I simply love how you changed Nina's whole look to conform to the image, and the outfit has a lot of nice details in it...
this is a really wonderful comic, it was so great, I'll forgive the use of more blood with Nina...
(but please...no more bloody Nina after this!)

Last edited by bonbonsrus on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
Wing_Goddess wrote:
that was awesome xD

and it seems like people are already getting really attached to Nina. They're worrying over how much she is bleeding even though spoiler[she's a fictional character xD]

Thanks a whole lot, Wing_Goddess - you have completely ruined this strip for me. In the future, please use SPOILER TAGS when you post information like that! Anime catgrin
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
Best. Reference. Ever.

In other news fans of Anime News Nina scarred themselves on the face. More at 11.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
Nice.

And for those that say that teeth don't equal scissors...scissors don't work either anyway, sooo.... I usually takes me a nice long, sharp kitchen knife to get those stupid packages open sometimes (and I'm talking about things like earphones or other things in bubble packages as well.)

I am kind of frightened that I might actually see an Ultimate Mop cosplayer when I go to Otakon, though...lol
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
That reminds me, I need to get Queen Emeraldas on DVD... for the sole purpose of owning an anime that starts with a Q. (then once I get Zegapain, I'll have the alphabet covered. Laughing )

I've also been trying to get the whole alphabet, since I'm an obsessive completionist. Although I don't have any titles in the Qs yet, I do have Zs. If I can make a small suggestion, before you go out and buy Zegapain, look up Zipang. It's an excellent show and despite what people say about the english dub, it's not that bad. I was so caught up in this show that after the first episode I stopped noticing the flaws in the dub. I ended up watching the whole 26 episodes in two days.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Nina looks awesome

now all we need is an eye patch...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
I hate those plastic containers. Are people stealing them that much that they have to use Fort Knox-level packaging?

The only thing that would have made me laugh more is if Nina had gone crazy like Dilandau from Vision of Escaflowne. Sometimes the scar makes you feel heroic, sometimes it makes you feel totally psycho and more villainous.

UMD DX must be made for real. Take your time Robin, we'll wait. (Carlos already gave it a favorable review.)
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
The only thing that would have made me laugh more is if Nina had gone crazy like Dilandau from Vision of Escaflowne.

HAH, there's a scary thought Laughing. However, it probably would be awesome.

Nina does look quite badass, though. But I had the same reaction as a few others have had: "No! Don't hurt Nina again!" Regardless, I rofled as well.

Also, I sympathize with everybody over new packaging trends. Fortunately, I haven't been wounded by these plastic terrors, yet.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
One look at my Avatar should tell you I LOVED the Matsumoto referance! I don't collect figurines, but I have sliced my hand more than once getting into those plastic packages for all things in the small electronics section. And as far as packaging goes, you gotta wonder about DVD distributors who not only do the shrink wrap but of course the plastic tape seal on the top AND side! You'd swear that DVD was pressed in Gold!
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Very nice on the Queen Emeraldas reference. Smile

I'm personally glad, that I'm not into collecting figures. I really don't need another scar on my forehead.

Quote:

From the comic:
You might have a scar for a little while, but it should heal quickly.

Probably by the next comic strip. Very Happy

Unfortunately, my scar never healed properly and I've been stuck with it for 22 years.

Last edited by joelgundam00 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6