• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jojo's Anime, Manga Sales Halted Due to Islamic Images

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Well thats one way to get your point across - "stop or we will kill you all" - sorta sounds like terrorists to me personally...
cenorig

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Censorship is bad. Doesn't matter if christians or muslims, in today's world we should have the chance to make fun of who/what we want, and the people who don't like it should just stay away from that info. I believe a society like that is forming, since no one can stop the Internet, which spreads that kind of thinking. Spending too much time on anonymous messageboards probably gives these ideas to me in the first place. It has bad side-effects, but really - we can't stop it. I don't support making fun of muslims just to stir up a hornet's nest, but this incident shows the muslims are going too far. And the Japanese are going too far if they are going to edit their material. Apologizing is adequate, though.

Also: if nothing else, this hinders the chances of ever seeing other parts of JoJo's manga released in English.
Who needs problems? Damn.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
[Edit: Let's try to keep in mind that swearing is frowned upon and a certain degree of respect is expected on the forums. Feel free to calm down and try posting again. - Keonyn]
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
Someday, someone has to stand up and just ignore these retards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Another victory for thin skin!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
While I'm very much against censorship of any variety, at the same time I can understand some of the reaction. I don't think the situation justifies it at this level but at the same time there is a legitimate irritation there.

At the very least I can agree that using text from the Koran, purposefully or not, wasn't a good idea.

Still, I think the intent has to be looked at. I don't think anyone was trying to make some "Muslims are terrorists" statement or even necessarily any anti-Muslim statement period. The reaction just seems a bit too much for what should be looked at as a foolish error not an act of hate.

I wish people of all faiths and affiliations would learn to be a little more tolerant about gaffes like this. Seriously, this is nothing compared to some things. (The "Piss Christ" and related "art" come to mind. That sort of thing is just downright disrespectful, especially when it's display involves public dollars.) I think using the inherently religious elements of any cultures faith out of a respectful context can be very problematic but I just don't think this instance rises to the level of the reaction.

I guess I feel like everyone's making mistakes in this particular situation. The Japanese could have been a little more careful about what text they used and how close to real-life buildings the fantasy ones look but at the same time, those protesting could give a little more benefit of the doubt to everyone and realize that no one was trying to attack them.

Censoring the images, with the exception of the Koran text in the anime, seems very wrong to me. I think the Koran text could be removed and replaced with something else simply because, if what the company says is true, it was chosen only because it looked like it was from the Arabic world. Therefore there is no meaning to it beyond it's cool looking letters, which could be gotten from somewhere else that isn't a sacred text for millions. The other imagery I see no problem with as the shape of buildings really has nothing to do with the shape of one's faith. (At least, I don't think the Koran included blueprints for the one way of making a mosque that's holy.)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Man...I'm sick of this shit, rest of the world need to man up and stop lettin' a handful of psychos mad dog them out of doing whatever the hell they wanna do. You know why they doin this NOW? Cause they don't want none of that extremist stuff in Japan, they SCARED! It's pathetic!

*removed from original post by Keonyn~Zalis*

...But yeah Jojo's some crazy shit.

Tough "fighting" words, but say this to Viz Media? This is just a comic and anime show, nothing that you wanted to be arrested for.

Who knows, maybe Viz Media is reading this article and are ofended by some of the comments and decide to delay new volumes of this series?
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing is, this problem was only cited by the chairman of the Fatwa Committee at Cairo's Al-Azhar University. I doubt that he represents a good portion of the Muslim World.

I was reminded a while back, how an airport set up Chirstmas ornaments and a Jewish leader asked (politely) if the airport would be kind enough to place a menorah as part of the holiday festivities.

What does the airport do? Orders a mandate to REMOVE all CHRISTMAS ornaments because management claimed "the material is offending the local Jewish community."

This made the news.

The rabbi had to appear on various new shows stating that this was definitely not the case. The Jews were not "outraged" or "offended" by the ornaments. But someone (and then the media) misconstrued them.

First rule of journalism: believe half of what you see, none of what you hear.

I doubt that "vast communities of Muslims are enraged" at this simple mistake. I doubt that, beyond this little group of people in Egypt (coincidentally, where JoJo's takes place) any Muslims really care about this.

A.P.P.P. sent out an apology. To me, -- and to the many rational-minded Muslims -- that's enough.

It's cool by me...now release the Phantom Blood movie here!![/b]
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Who knows, maybe Viz Media is reading this article and are ofended by some of the comments and decide to delay new volumes of this series?

In all honestly, controversy BRINGS profit. It's happened before.

In a sick sense, Viz could make this whole story into the best thing that could have ever happened to JoJo in America.

"Huh? This manga angered Muslims? I'm interested now! And where's the anime?"

Honestly, I could see some people get interested in JoJo BECAUSE of this.

Anyway, I'm buying Viz's release of the manga, all I need is Volume 4 of STA's release of the anime, and I'll hope that the Phantom Blood movie comes to America.
ReDMaN951

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
It's the same nonsence that forbids South Park from showing Muhamad in a possitve light but is perfectly ok with them showing a scene with George Bush and Jesus defecating over the US Flag

Well , am a Muslim and i don't care about Gorge Bush but...
But Jesus is a prophet in Islam also and he was mentioned in Quran But his Holy book was changed by the people of his age and that's why another prophets were sent into the world and in the end Muhammad was sent as the last prophet with his holy book "AlQuran" which muslims god "Allah" said in the book that al quran is protected from changing ...
my point is am offended by anything that "mocks" or offend any of the prophets.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually find it kind of funny that the people working on the anime added arabic text without even knowing what it said, and it turned out to be text from the Qur'an. Hope they'll be more careful in the future. I don't have much of a problem with this being changed in future versions of the anime, considering that it's not even what the author of the manga intended.

But what I do NOT like is the following:

Quote:
They specifically noted that both versions depicted "buildings that look like mosques" in fight scenes. After halting shipments of the anime and manga to ensure both versions "will no longer contain these improper scenes," the companies also said that they "will not make new copies without correcting these problems."

That just seems way overboard to me. The idea that simply having a building that looks like a mosque in the background during a fight can be considered an "improper scene" is annoying, to put it mildly. Or at least I find it so.
kamidai

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
What do you bet that when this crap is over and you can buy JoJo again, there's going to be a minor surge of interest in "zomg terorrist animu" or whatnot?

Other than the fact that he's talking about killing Jotaro while reading it, I really do have a problem seeing how it's incredibly offensive that a British vampire is reading the Koran. It would definitely have been more appropriate to stick in something else (perhaps in English?), but I really think this is getting blown out of proportion. Also, I'm having trouble understanding exactly why having mosques in the background of what is supposed to be Middle Eastern scenery is incredibly offensive.

Seriously though. I hope that JoJo gets continued releases, because it really is my favorite manga and I support by buying all legitimate JoJo releases in America. I'd like to continue buying JoJo, but if there's no more being printed I can't do that.

I also hope that seriously this isn't the reason why we still don't have Phantom Blood on DVD. I seriously want it. And not as a download either, I'm buying that crap on R2 just because it's JoJo. Aaaaaaaaaugh.
Egret

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that--except for a few individuals--everybody's being pretty cool about this topic. I do have one thing to say to the offended Muslims out there: At least no one's given Muhammad breasts, yet. The manhwa "Let's Bible" makes Jesus a adolescent blond girl.

...and someone's offended because their religious text is used as a prop for the villain...
Jaice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
we all better stop living, we might offend someone.
Oronae

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, after thinking about it, this could turn out to be a good thing. We've found out what the issue was with JoJo DVDs recently and as opposed to being a massive corporate disagreement that could take years to solve it's just a stupid little gripe over a few cells of animation that are easily replaced. We've already been promissed a rerelease of the disks with that footage removed (and potentially reanimated battle scenes to remove "offensive" buildings) and with all of this recent publicity maybe there'll be revived interest in the JoJo franchise as a whole. By and large, while silly, this situation is much better than it could have been and I am grateful for that at least.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8