• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - ADV Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Everything that fullmetalcj said..............dont get me wrong if they can turn it round then so be it but i for one have very little confidence in them......i mean even if they do realease stuff i would be thinking whever to buy an ADV product or not.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
What im getting at is why did he blame fansubs then put NHK on fansubs???

Do i go out and blame some1 who i dunno broke my car window only to then give them a pat on the back 2 months later?
Simply the poacher has now become the games keeper. Wink
Pandy Wandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
The previous comment by Vapors regarding bad management is very telling. It is understandable that the economy is tough, but companies with great management will find ways to adapt; ie: Funimation?

And I wonder what percentage of people attending the ADV panel were there just to hear about Yotsuba&!'s status.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
FMCJ:
Quote:
What were the excuses given in the past week or two about volumes of NHK/Kanon not shipping? First, "replicator issues" (untrue) then "licensing issues"? (Again, this same sort of uncertainty also occurred back in February.) If these titles "went with Sojitz" as stated in the panel (which IS true, obviously), they knew quite a while ago that they wouldn't be publishing future volumes of these series. This did not all happen this week folks.

Give them a break. It's rare for a company as experienced as ADV to have these kinds of problems.

Quote:
The excuse about Blu-ray; "Japan doesn't want Blu-rays of those titles before they're out in Japan" -- all you have to do is look at what FUNimation is doing/has done. They've put out several Dragon Ball Z movies on BRD now that aren't out on Blu-ray in Japan.

That's because FUNimation does most of Toei's grunt-work.

Quote:
The term of the license for Newtype USA did not "end" -- as was stated in the panel and as John Ledford surely knows. It wasn't scheduled to be up for renewal until the end of 2008. Kadokawa pulled the license early. It was not an unsuccessful venture, and in fact was one of the only ways ADV had left to market/advertise its own titles after the shutdown of ADVocates ('because they didn't have to pay for ads or episode placement on the DVD). It was quite a valuable asset to the company and was one of the few areas that'd been untouched by layoffs/paycuts in recent years. With its DVD business going in the toilet, ADV just wanted to squeeze more money out of the bad contract they'd signed to get the Newtype license in the first place. To that end they went to Kadokawa threatening to cease production of the magazine immediately unless they'd renegotiate the terms sooner. Instead, Kadokawa pulled the plug. Even as they gave Kadokawa that ultimatum, ADV was under the deluded impression that they could do their own magazine to replace it, not have to spend any money promoting it and get to keep the same money NTUSA was bringing in for themselves. This, however, is not how publishing works -- and you especially don't want to have to replace an established, successful brand with something completely new that lacked the most popular features of the old one.

While I also doubt that NewType was unsuccessful, I imagine its market share had shrunk in recent years, as print media became less in demand. Even Carl, in discussing Super Manga Blast's pull-out, said that it was a huge investment which only companies with big pockets like Shueisha, were willing to risk.

Quote:
I can't believe they're still telling people the Eva movie is coming. What a joke.
'

Why? As they said, the Transformers movie now makes it a possibility, instead of a long-shot.

Quote:
It's ridiculous that Ledford/Greenfield don't know about the current state of their web site. Or that it's been up/down for MONTHS. If you're in charge of a company and have a web site whose sole purpose is to sell your products, you would care if it was down. You'd certainly know of the problems that ADV's site has been having in recent months. THAT'S THEIR BUSINESS.

They've been busy trying to deal with Sojitz.

Quote:
"The people who run the manga are not here." Ledford's the CEO of the company. He's sitting right there. He doesn't know what's going on? Very Happy That's B.S.

He had different divisions, so it does kind of make sense.

Randall:
Quote:
I must agree to what the "ex-Executive Editor of Newtype USA" is saying here.

Actually, he's the reason I must disagree, since he's obviously disgruntled.

Quote:
Tekkon Kinkreet also has been released in the States, but not in Japan.

That's because there's a limited market for TK in Japan, and especially one with a gaijin director of a Japanese production.
dlw
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, talk about being disgruntled. Of course I knew CJ and I can say that he was never in on any of the discussions between John Ledford and the Japanese so he really wouldn't have any clue what the reality was concerning NT or ADV. From what I knew of him and his attitude while at ADV, he always seemed unhappy there so I really can't see his posting as anything more than sour grapes. You know, I feel sorry for the guy but I have to say, he really doesn't know what he is talking about.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
dlw wrote:
Wow, talk about being disgruntled. Of course I knew CJ and I can say that he was never in on any of the discussions between John Ledford and the Japanese so he really wouldn't have any clue what the reality was concerning NT or ADV. From what I knew of him and his attitude while at ADV, he always seemed unhappy there so I really can't see his posting as anything more than sour grapes. You know, I feel sorry for the guy but I have to say, he really doesn't know what he is talking about.

Well, can you answer one factual thing? Was the contract for Newtype really up for renewal, as ledford said, or was it up for renewal in late 2008, as CJ said?
That's something that can be fact checked.
The fundamental difference in the stories is whether Kadokawa pulled the license, or whether they chose not to renew it.

Note that the first issue was in November, so assuming the license was for an integral number of years... that seems to back up CJ's version.

If I was a commentator on a 24 hour news channel, I would describe what you just did as a classic character assassination without addressing the fundamental accusation.
You say he wouldn't have known what was going on, but did you say he is wrong?
Address what he said directly, and I'll believe you: Did Kadokawa pull the license for Newtype or did they choose not to renew it when the contract was up? Which was it?
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
dlw wrote:

Ouch, personal jab? Really? Smile True I was not in on the discussions with the Japanese, but that doesn't mean I didn't hear what happened. Were you in on those? Maybe you could shed some light then on which part of what I said that was wrong then since you're apparently so much more aware than I.

And I enjoyed working at ADV/Newtype, wasn't unhappy at all. I don't see how you'd get the impression otherwise.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That's because FUNimation does most of Toei's grunt-work.

They must also be taking on "Madhouse's grunt work," considering they're releasing Shigurui on Blu Ray next year along with the DVD box set. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
They've been busy trying to deal with Sojitz.

Getting tangled in a relationship that they know will be self-destructive... Human nature, I guess, but still.

Quote:
He had different divisions, so it does kind of make sense.

He's the head of the company and he doesn't know what's going on with one of their most-asked about divisions?

Quote:
Actually, he's the reason I must disagree, since he's obviously disgruntled.

You have bias on both sides.

On the other hand, ADV isn't associated with being truthful recently ("replicator issues," anyone?), so I'm taking anything from them with a huge grain of salt in comparison.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Well Fullmetal has a right to be angry. I take his word for the most part, but ADV couldn't have come out and say they lost 30 titles before AX. That would have killed fan confidence in them and even I wouldn't have purchased the ADV dvds I have recently if that news had broken early. Deals like that have to stay in the dark until all sides are ready to go public.
bradc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
A big loss in profit margin for the company to recover...

Most companies or small business would do the right thing and close up if they cannot sustain themselves. Is hard to say they will be able to pull through, as they are walking on a tightrope. They have a better luck having someone buy their company or form joint-venture with Funi or whatever other companies exist out there...

Even if they come back, they are not as strong as they started out before...
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda concluding here that this forum is just so full of anti-ADV Funimation fanboyism of naive DBZ fans and people disatisfied with ADV just praying that they dissapear and that Funimation would become a monopoly and own everything with thier whole reason without any excuse.

I love ADV films, I love Funimation. I love all companies even AnimEigo,CPM and rightsuf. I feel that fanboyism all forms of it is wrong. Loyality to one company is absolutely inexcuseable and shameful. People who hate one company so much that they publicly curse them while claiming the other is better that everyone else have not right to call themselves otaku. This infantile behavior belong in video gaming, sports and elsewher but NOT in anime! We all need to unite. Anime is not a casual medium right now and for the past decade it's been trying to grow in a mainstream market in the U.S. but if one company goes down, they everyone will suffer. The economy is in reccession right now and the home video,video gaming, movie market is being drastically affected by it but anime needs to waive the storm, so it can get to a period where it will grow beyond where it's at right now. While I personally hATE 4Kids you don't see me cursing them.

As for CJ, i'm sorry buddy but I can't take you seriously. You obviously ARE a disgruntled ADV employer because you don't seem to even want to really be the moderator here in this story and are allowing fanboyism. You blame ADV for the fallout of NTSUA when in fact Kadokawa Shoten stopped publishing it in the west altogether and now you think that ADV's PR department is in shambles.

Everyon needs to be happy for ADV. They've got a new investor, they responsibly told people the true behind the Sojitz disaster and hadled thier PR extraordinary well. Why are you saying they won't reveal details at Otakon? How do you know that? You don't seem to be being fair to them.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
I'm kinda concluding here that this forum is just so full of anti-ADV Funimation fanboyism of naive DBZ fans and people disatisfied with ADV just praying that they dissapear and that Funimation would become a monopoly and own everything with thier whole reason without any excuse.
You do realize that the remaining Dragonball fans on the net are kinda pissed at Funi for that whole widescreen deal right? I'd hate for Funi to be a monopoly because then they would treat all of their properties like they treat DBZ, and you folks do not want that.

Other than that, I agree with everything you typed. I'm a fan of all companies, and I wish they all have success. Before AX, I was seriously worried about ADV's future. Their panel has restored my faith in the company for a good while. I look foward to hearing who the new partner is, and what the 23 titles are.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
ADV stuff

Let me say first that I hope ADV will come back as strong as before. I hope everything they're telling us will come to pass. As others have said, they've been hit some things that have been out of their control, and are adapting to it.

But I'm not ready to bake a cake for them yet. Call me skeptical, but I want to see release dates for the new titles they are pursuing, and a resumption of Yotsuba&!, before I'll start celebrating ADV's return. The two in the panel said the company might have an announcement by Otakon, so I'll hold on to my skepticism until then and see what the company produces. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
ADV stuff

Let me say first that I hope ADV will come back as strong as before. I hope everything they're telling us will come to pass. As others have said, they've been hit some things that have been out of their control, and are adapting to it.

But I'm not ready to bake a cake for them yet. Call me skeptical, but I want to see release dates for the new titles they are pursuing, and a resumption of Yotsuba&!, before I'll start celebrating ADV's return. The two in the panel said the company might have an announcement by Otakon, so I'll hold on to my skepticism until then and see what the company produces. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.
I'm heading to the Alamo Drafthouse in town this tuesday. From what I heard, Matt Greenfield will be there to talk about what happened and what they are planning on annoucing at Otakon.

Once wednesday rolls around, I'll have a better idea on just how much this Sojitz mess affected ADV. Hopefully they may still have some rights to the royalities of these lost titles and will probably begin repairing it's consumer confidence motif. The worse that could happen and I'm not saying it will is that ADV becomes an independant company that doesn't license anything that much anymore and only releases several titles a year, but we'll know soon just who partnered up with them and whether or not ADV has learned from this.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tekkon Kinkreet also has been released in the States, but not in Japan.

Quote:
That's because there's a limited market for TK in Japan, and especially one with a gaijin director of a Japanese production.

Swing and a MISS. That thing was a very big deal here and played everywhere. Asian Kung Fu Generation theme song. More cross-market appeal than a good 90% of other fully animated movies.

Last edited by TokyoGetter on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6