• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New media, new horizons, and a new video player

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Just to let you know, the trailer for Maburaho is actually the trailer for Mahoromatic. I thought you might want to know.

Thanks for noticing that, I've now fixed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Nice work Justin. A big thanks to you and all the other Administrators and moderators who continue to make ANN one of my favorite places to come!

Although I'm sure ANN could exceed ten years. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
Anime News Network is now the #1 dedicated anime content website in the world. In any language.
Maybe, eventually, possibly, allegedly. Wink
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
championferret wrote:
c) Please confirm my fantasies that this isnt just for the US only? Because I get shot down for this so many times....D:

For our content it will always be world. For licensed content, it will depend on the license. Sadly I suspect most will be North America only, but we'll try for world.

*sound of crossing fingers*
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
b) Subs/dubs/both? I just can't bring myself to watch a dub, and having both keeps everyone happy...
Why do sub fans act like a dub is radioactive or something? Points for considering the happiness of dub fans though.

I do hope that you'll get your outside the US coverage though. It's just plain wrong that so often content gets restricted to just here when there are so many anime fans in other countries who can benefit from this sort of setup. (And why does Canada get screwed in some of these deals? If the US gets something online then the Canadians should have the same access.)

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but by subscribers do you mean those who are alreading subscribing to the premium service or will there be a second subscribtion for this? (Yes, likely a stupid question but I'm kind of burned out from lack of sleep.)
crescendoll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
Congratulations on 10 years, ANN! This business about a new video player is seriously exciting. Definitely looking forward to the developments!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Maybe, eventually, possibly, allegedly. Wink

If anyone can show us a dedicated anime website that focuses on publishing original articles & editorial, in any, language, we'll stop saying it.

We know that there are anime related sites that have more traffic than us. AnimeWalpapers.com, Crunchyroll.com and Gaia.com for example. But publishers of their own original content? None that I know of,and we've spent a long time searching...

But yes, allegedly and possibly (or rather likely)... but right now Wink

Chris
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I do hope that you'll get your outside the US coverage though. It's just plain wrong that so often content gets restricted to just here when there are so many anime fans in other countries who can benefit from this sort of setup. (And why does Canada get screwed in some of these deals? If the US gets something online then the Canadians should have the same access.)

It's all based on who licenses something to us. If we get rights from an R1 licensee/sor, then we can only stream in the areas they have a license for.

Canada gets screwed because of advertising, or exclusive sub-licenses (YTV might have an exclusive license that includes online)

Chris
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Glad everyone is so excited. We're really excited about this feature too.

Every conversation I've had includes Canada in its territory. It's rather standard, in my experience, and I've not had any trouble clearing it. UK and other places in the world, however, is another story. However, we'll always ask for the maximum area our licensors can provide.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
It was mentioned that subscribers get higher quality video. Is that only for when you get the full episodes, or does that work for trailers too? Or do I have to click somewhere to get the better quality?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Trailers too. Should be automatic, as long as you're logged in.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Trailers too. Should be automatic, as long as you're logged in.

I guess I am having trouble telling the difference. I did log out and log back in and watched the same three trailers from both positions. Maybe my eyes are just bad though. But the comment about almost DVD quality threw me off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treetastic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, congratulations on ten years! Wow, guys. I was wondering what that surprise Zac mentioned was. This is a great idea. It's already looking pretty sweet. I'm quite excited. Very Happy
wrote:
vtnwesley wrote:

Is this going to be an archive service, where overtime I can nerd-out on a full season of a show at one time or will it be like Toonami Jetstream where after a few weeks, older episodes go away until the next circulation of them?

This entirely depends on the licensing terms for the content. The trailers and ANNtv should always stay there, but some series may only be displayed for a limited time. In that case the interface will show when the content expires, and there will be a list of which videos will expire soon.

Sounds like the Anime Network, but 90% less infuriating. I'm guessing that these shows are all ones that have been licensed in North America (?). Is it going to be new stuff, or stuff that has been out for a while? Not that I care, anything is good by my book. Just curious.
enurtsol wrote:
Why do people keep misspelling "congratulations"............ Laughing

Maybe ANN should do ads like this: Wink

The ads, which appear 15 seconds after a user begins watching a video clip, take the form of an overlay on the bottom fifth of the screen, not unlike the tickers that display headlines during television news programs.

A user can ignore the overlay, which will disappear after about 10 seconds, or close it. But if the user clicks on it, the video they were watching will stop and a video ad will begin playing. Once the ad is over, or if a user clicks on a box to close it, the original video will resume playing from the point where it was stopped.

It's a nifty idea, but that's been annoying the heck out of me recently. Maybe it's because I associate YouTube with free user content... as unintrusive as it might be, I wouldn't mind watching ads to get to the show on a program like this. If it ain't broke, and all that.
hiten_ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
First of all, congratulations to all of ANN. Cheers to even more successful ANN decades to come!

Secondly, the AX keynote panel was fantastic! Mr. Sevakis, you did a great job! This idea should have been brought up and highlighted! Quite frankly, although the whole "Let's get the fans educated!" ideal is very reasonable, I can probably speak for most serious fans when I say that there's a huge number of anime fans who just want their immediate anime fix no matter what; they could probably care less or are either ignorant/indifferent about getting educated about the moral, ethical, and legal issues, and all the profit losses that the anime industry as a whole is suffering from. However, I still believe that fansubbing is, in reality, the only availuable route to watch a huge plethora of anime. It's somewhat comparable to doujinshi, which is in fact embraced in Japan (btw, COMIKET IS STILL THE ABSOLUTE BEST CONVENTION ON THE PLANET!!!), in a limited aspect because it helps promote anime titles and series before it gets officially licensed. But no matter how stubborn fans are, the fact is that illegal, unauthorized downloading and streaming is killing the anime industry. For instance, look what happened to Geneon USA! In '06, the SPJA named Geneon as "Best Anime Company". Then in December 31, 2007, Geneon shut its doors for good.

On the other hand, as I've stated earlier I do understand that there is an enormous number of anime titles, series, and shows that aren't availuable here in the US yet, and the only ultimate way to watch them is via illegal fansubbing. I personally am guilty of this; however, I refuse to download anything and stick to online streaming but, in the end, it's still illegal.

The new ad-supported ANN video player is something that the anime industry should seriously consider. TV networks do it (I even downgraded my cable to basic and just upgraded my Internet to the highest level that my ISP provides because every show that I want to watch is availuable on the net on its TV network's website and they're all legal ad-supported streams). Like what was mentioned in an earlier post, how hard can it be to just wait for a few seconds for a short ad to run? There's also a site called "Hulu.com" that offers free streaming of full TV series, episodes, sports, and even feature films, all of which are supported by ads or upcoming movie trailers that are 10-30 secs long--MUCH shorter than TV commercials! The thought and possiblility of anime networks using the ANN video player, or other similar sites, to play ads and trailers promoting upcoming or current anime/manga titles and series would be ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR! I WOULD EVEN BE HOPING FOR THE ADS TO SHOW UP!

All in all, great job ANN and I wish you the best of luck and even greater success in the coming decades!
Odekerk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Very nice, very nice. Great idea and implementation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4