• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Moribito to Premiere on Adult Swim at 1:30 a.m. ET/PT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FWNW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
To my knowledge, Bleach, Code Geass, and Moribito play at 9:30pm, 10:00pm, and 10:30pm respectively, then play once more at the advertised time slots (12:30, 1:00, and 1:30). Or am I the only one with that option? Otherwise, get tivo already (or any other DVR service)! Its the freakin 21st century.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
@Bellos: You do realize you're in a forum about commenting on news related to anime, right?

I'm sorry but, you can tell us to shut up all you want and I've seen many try. It's a fruitless attempt.

We're allowed to be disappointed, it's called having an opinion. If you really have a problem with the people complaining then why not go away? I see no one cursing to an immense degree, no biased opinions...

I was giving a view that I kinda have gotten bored of their offerings. There's no channel out there willing to give a more expanded option of anime.

And by that, I mean I have yet to see something in the likes of a show similar to Clannad, H2O, Higurashi, Spice and Wolf or anything that is a mild, norm breaking of their typical line ups.

Although I did enjoy the offerings from IFC, like Speed Grapher, Samurai 7 and various others. And it's not to say I hate adult swim. But it's after 5+ years of broadcasting and one small mistake that was Milk-chan (Which frankly was a really wayyyyyyy too far out there anime), all the mech/adventure/fighting/over the top animes we've been getting from them, isn't it about time we get something new?

It's all about diverging opinions and I'm sorry if it really pisses you off but Moribito is just... Too much like everything else they have to offer. I'll still watch it, for the sake of getting the ratings up, I just really, REALLY wish someone I hold as an above decent source for anime would expand beyond their 'action' definition of the line up. They... could really use a good, PURE slice of life styled anime.

But these are all strictly my views, based on the limited knowledge I have of how things work. Honestly, I doubt anyone knows the full fledged details of why they don't go beyond 'action' but who cares really?

I'm not yelling at AS to change the rules and I'm playing their game. Is it so wrong of me to ask though that maybe they UPGRADE their rules? =/

And in closing, I'll stop complaining about their poor decisions when THEY stop complaining about it. Again, it's bad choices of commentary to the public. Adult Swim seems to have started this whole 'he said, she said' kind of debate between their viewers and themselves so... Whine to them before you whine to the fans.

...They threw the first rock after all. =/

Last edited by Kyogissun on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
FWNW wrote:
To my knowledge, Bleach, Code Geass, and Moribito play at 9:30pm, 10:00pm, and 10:30pm respectively, then play once more at the advertised time slots (12:30, 1:00, and 1:30). Or am I the only one with that option? Otherwise, get tivo already (or any other DVR service)! Its the freakin 21st century.

Those are strictly PST airtimes, the order for the east coast is 12:30, 1:00 and 1:30 am, repeating at 3:30-5:00am.

I watch it anyways though... Seriously, if anyone's complaining about being up at that time, then you're either too young to be in their specific audience... Or your parents are uptight religious people who want you to have sleep for church the next day.

The complaining about the airtime is really odd, I've never had problems, EXCEPT for the lone saturday that Eureka Seven got pushed back to 1:30 and I didn't know it was on... Or I was out that night, I forgot.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Everyone seems to forget that Adult Swim runs Shin-chan. That's not broadening their anime horizons?
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
It's all about diverging opinions and I'm sorry if it really pisses you off but Moribito is just... Too much like everything else they have to offer. REALLY wish someone I hold as an above decent source for anime would expand beyond their 'action' definition of the line up.

Yes, please watch Guardian of the Spirit, as it is not an action series - it doesn't have enough action to be qualified as such, eventhough the action scenes included are among the best I've ever seen in any anime series. And I can't find any series broadcasted by AS that's similar to it.
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Seriously, if anyone's complaining about being up at that time, then you're either too young to be in their specific audience... Or your parents are uptight religious people who want you to have sleep for church the next day.

Or maybe you're a firefighter who has to adhere to an actual grown up schedule so staying up till 2am even on a Saturday is very, very inconvenient.

Seriously, why would you even say something like that?

Also, as has been mentioned several times before, Moribito is NOT an action show. Most episodes have little to now action at all. Its a character drama with occasional action scenes. Just because the action scenes are excellent doesn't mean they define the show.

Last edited by Lackshmana on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Everyone seems to forget that Adult Swim runs Shin-chan. That's not broadening their anime horizons?

That..."doesn't count" in a sense...since it's been "punched up" for a Western audience. It's more akin to the other shows on AS's Comedy line-up.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Lackshmana wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Seriously, if anyone's complaining about being up at that time, then you're either too young to be in their specific audience... Or your parents are uptight religious people who want you to have sleep for church the next day.

Or maybe you're a firefighter who has to adhere to an actual grown up schedule so staying up till 2am even on a Saturday is very, very inconvenient.

Seriously, why would you even say something like that?

Also, as has been mentioned several times before, Moribito is NOT an action show. Most episodes have little to now action at all. Its a character drama with occasional action scenes. Just because the action scenes are excellent doesn't mean they define the show.

Yes, it's a character drama. And Ghost in the Shell wasn't in the same drama sense as well? It may have had multiple plots, but there were character conflicts, anyone who's seen innocence knows that.

And I agree with Fronzel, the comedy is so americanized, it's a little too... akin to Family Guy. I'm not saying their the same and I enjoy Shin-chan at times but seriously, the only reason they got it was because some writers from Adult Swim pitched in on the first 6 episodes.

And again, it's within their action/comedy spectrum. Adult Swim doesn't HAVE to be only about action and comedy. I always saw Adult Swim as something a little beyond that, just animated/live action shows with typically clever or alternative premises that weren't within the typical norm of adult programming... And by adult programming, I mean the stuff in the TV-14 and TVMA rating range.

Like I said earlier, my comments probably have no meaning and therefore, will just been seen as bashing or hatred for Adult Swim. It's not. I'm saying in terms of the japanese animated offerings, there is more than what they offer. But they took a gamble with their airings of Case Closed and Milk-chan years ago when anime was still growing in terms of its viewership.

And concerning the staying up thing, sorry, but you gotta realize, it just doesn't come to mind when I'm making a post like that. Yes it's a generalized statement and so it's probably uncalled for. I apologize if that statement offended you, it was mostly based on what I believe to be the actual audience of Adult Swim's offerings.

I hate to say it, but I believe teenagers unpleasantly outnumber the 18+ audience when it comes to who is watching AS on the action night. I can't think of any other reason why Bleach would be beating out Code Geass in the ratings... And I apologize if THIS statement offends anyone but... I can have an opinion. >_>

I guess the air time of Code Geass might have something to do with it though. Whatever airs earlier does better, which would also explain why Family Guy always dominates their Sunday night ratings... When stuff like Fat Guy and Awesome Show aren't getting what I'd hope they would.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Quote:
I hate to say it, but I believe teenagers unpleasantly outnumber the 18+ audience when it comes to who is watching AS on the action night. I can't think of any other reason why Bleach would be beating out Code Geass in the ratings... And I apologize if THIS statement offends anyone but... I can have an opinion

It shouldn't be particularly controversial to opine that Adult Swim's anime fan-base probably leans much more tween/teen than 18+. The more off-base suggestion you've made is that 'Bleach' and 'Code Geass' would be aimed at two separate audiences. 'Code Geass' isn't a 'mature' aimed showed, it's a young/mid-teen soap much more than an older mecha-otaku variant.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
It's all about diverging opinions and I'm sorry if it really pisses you off but Moribito is just... Too much like everything else they have to offer. I'll still watch it, for the sake of getting the ratings up, I just really, REALLY wish someone I hold as an above decent source for anime would expand beyond their 'action' definition of the line up. They... could really use a good, PURE slice of life styled anime.

Adult Swim's primary advertising demographic is 18-to-35-year-old males.

And you want them to start showing slice-of-life anime series.

Because this will somehow get them more ratings than action-oriented shows during a block conveniently labeled "Action."

Yes, I think we have a winrar here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

I hate to say it, but I believe teenagers unpleasantly outnumber the 18+ audience when it comes to who is watching AS on the action night. I can't think of any other reason why Bleach would be beating out Code Geass in the ratings... And I apologize if THIS statement offends anyone but... I can have an opinion. >_>

I guess the air time of Code Geass might have something to do with it though. Whatever airs earlier does better, which would also explain why Family Guy always dominates their Sunday night ratings...

Adult Swim's ratings numbers only measure adults ages 18-34. None of the teenage viewers are counted.

And yeah, timeslot does matter, with the big dropoff usually around midnight-12:30am. However, Adult Swim measures success by comparing ratings of competing shows (as well as past shows) in the same timeslot, not across timeslots.

For an example, even if Bleach is beating Code Geass in the numbers, but if Bleach is getting clobbered by its same-timeslot competitors (or past AS shows in the same timeslot) while Code Geass is the one beating its competitors, then it's Bleach that's in trouble.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Adult Swim's primary advertising demographic is 18-to-35-year-old males.

And you want them to start showing slice-of-life anime series.

Because this will somehow get them more ratings than action-oriented shows during a block conveniently labeled "Action."

You know, you guys really AREN'T satisfied with being here unless your criticizing someone, eh?

I said it'd be nice/I (KEYWORD HERE IS "I") think they could use it. I GET that their demographic is a specific gender, but what the **** are they thinking? If there's one lineup that doesn't need to have such a specific audience, it's the action line up.

I wasn't imposing my idea on them... But it would be a nice change. Naturally, it won't ever happen... The only adventurous shows Adult Swim has kept with appears to be Tim and Eric.

As for adult swim's ratings numbers, how do we know people aren't lying about their age? And the ratings that are posted every sunday, I don't believe those are based upon polls, I just don't. I'm fairly certain that's how many viewers tuned in to the specific show. If you have something to show me that shows that males in the 18-34 range are truly the ones the ratings are being gathered from, please do.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

A winrar might actually be pretty cool. Does it contain Futanari H-manga?
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for adult swim's ratings numbers, how do we know people aren't lying about their age? And the ratings that are posted every sunday, I don't believe those are based upon polls, I just don't. I'm fairly certain that's how many viewers tuned in to the specific show. If you have something to show me that shows that males in the 18-34 range are truly the ones the ratings are being gathered from, please do.

[AS] relies on the A.C. Neilsen system, which has serious flaws when rating niche programming but is the only system everyone in the TV industry can agree on. Neilsen does make efforts to ensure viewer demographics are correct, but nobody's perfect. So the 18-34 ratings numbers are honest expressions of the Neilsen system.

Are they true in the absolute sense? Nobody in the TV business really knows. Or cares all that much.

Despite the [AS] whinging in their cards, the fact is that they continue to run anime on Saturdays and buy new shows because anime performs better in Saturday late night than any alternative content they have available to them. If it weren't doing so, they'd have long since replaced anime with other fare. As they did on weeknights.

As to Moribito, it looks beautiful and promises interesting characters and plot. I intend to keep watching and if it keeps its promises, to get the DVDs when they come out. (^_*)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3