• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: JAST USA Looks Into Licensing Steins;Gate Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
Mirri wrote:
Just to clear a little bit up for everyone:

...the first system that STEINS;GATE was released for was the 360. In different words,
"It was originally released for the 360, and every other release until now is a port."

Yes. The PC version is a port of the Xbox 360 version. It was released nearly a year later.

Whoops, forgot about that. Why would anyone debut a VN on the 360 of all platforms though? Surprised

Probably money from Microsoft to help promote the 360 at some point. Both CAVE and 5pb (technically MAGES now, but who's counting) are probably the biggest supporters of the 360 in Japan. The 360 in Japan is seen as a niche, otaku console which is why the majority of Japanese developed games are either shmups or Visual Novels and other quirky Japanese titles.

But, now since the 360 is pretty much dead...the companies are branching out, mainly to the portable consoles (mainly PSP) since they are still popular in Japan.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Probably money from Microsoft to help promote the 360 at some point. Both CAVE and 5pb (technically MAGES now, but who's counting) are probably the biggest supporters of the 360 in Japan. The 360 in Japan is seen as a niche, otaku console which is why the majority of Japanese developed games are either shmups or Visual Novels and other quirky Japanese titles.

But, now since the 360 is pretty much dead...the companies are branching out, mainly to the portable consoles (mainly PSP) since they are still popular in Japan.

Otaku console? The Xbox 360's got Halo, CoD, and Gears of War! Doesn't seem like much of an otaku console to me. Why don't the Japanese play those games alongside their own homegrown stuff?

Visual novels: What is the appeal? They're not games! I had a hard time believing Steins;Gate to be based on a visual novel--I thought it was either based on a manga or its own original anime.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Otaku console? The Xbox 360's got Halo, CoD, and Gears of War! Doesn't seem like much of an otaku console to me. Why don't the Japanese play those games alongside their own homegrown stuff?

If you read my post, I said that it's considered an otaku console IN JAPAN.

MS tried to gain ground in Japan when securing time exclusivity rights to RPGs, but that wasn't enough. So, instead...it just got regulated to shmups and visual novels since it was cheaper to develop compared to the PS3. Not really the case now, but it was a few years back (which is why we are seeing more VNs that were ported to the 360 now being developed at the same time or ported to the PS3).

And, why don't Japanese gamers play FPSs to their own homegrown games? Different market, different tastes. But, FPSs do sell okay...usually enough to chart at least once on Media Create, but they're not that popular...say compared to Monster Hunter or it's clones.

Quote:

Visual novels: What is the appeal? They're not games!

Did you grow up reading choose your own adventure books like Lone Wolf? That's the genre visual novels fall under. It's about the story, characters and choices you make over technical gameplay.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Quote:

Did you grow up reading choose your own adventure books like Lone Wolf? That's the genre visual novels fall under. It's about the story, characters and choices you make over technical gameplay.

That's exactly why visual novels aren't games! They don't have gameplay! All you do is click through menus!

Team Fortress 2, Mortal Kombat, Portal, Oblivion, Skyrim, Duke Nukem, Tetris, Zelda, Mario, Sonic, Pokémon, Halo, Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Tekken, Touhou, Call of Duty, Fallout--those are games! Why? Because they have gameplay. That's the core definition of a game. Visual novels have no gameplay, hence they're not games. If I want to just passively enjoy a story, that's what TV, books, and movies are for. And as far as I know, visual novels don't have hats in them.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
wall of text.

Kishin Hisou Demonbane would like to have a word with you. Alone. In a cold dark room.

Also; visual novels put characters and story first. I'm assuming someone never played or even heard of Muv Luv, Little Busters or even Fate/Stay Night. Also; putting Call of Duty under a game....lolwhat? It's an interactive movie. Same thing over and over again. No variation. At least VN's change things up.

As for this; As long as the fan translation team agrees with it. JAST USA has a very...interesting...release policy though. *coughDemonbanecough*
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
superdry wrote:
Quote:

That's exactly why visual novels aren't games! They don't have gameplay! All you do is click through menus!

If you noticed I never said that they are or aren't games. I just responded to your question about "what is the appeal?"
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is interested, there's another post on the TL's site with more info

Just more talks about a deal and how they did hand over a translated demo.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

Wow, those comments are simply ridiculous.

Half of those guys are leeching pirates anyway.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

Wow, those comments are simply ridiculous.

Half of those guys are leeching pirates anyway.

Makes me wonder if the guys over at 5pb have read such stuff and think "ehh...maybe not."

A slight annoyance, but understandable since the company is mostly unknown to westeners - 5pb developed the game with some help from Nitroplus, but it is NOT a Nitroplus game.
kirby2096

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
Even if JAST somehow pull off this deal with 5pb, I have doubts as to whether they can acquire the licenses to the character voices. That is a whole other maze of management groups to satisfy.

If they can't get the voices, we'll probably end up having to unofficially patch them in ourselves, leaving everyone else with an inferior product that would further reduce it's chances of gaining popularity on services such as Steam.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
kirby2096 wrote:
Even if JAST somehow pull off this deal with 5pb, I have doubts as to whether they can acquire the licenses to the character voices. That is a whole other maze of management groups to satisfy.

If they can't get the voices, we'll probably end up having to unofficially patch them in ourselves, leaving everyone else with an inferior product that would further reduce it's chances of gaining popularity on services such as Steam.

You know what would be really awesome but would never happen?

If this got an English dub, done by the whoever Funi will use for their dub of the anime.

Oh well. It will never happen, but it would be awesome.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
kirby2096 wrote:

If this got an English dub, done by the whoever Funi will use for their dub of the anime.

Or if they hired the VAs Valve used in TF2. Nothing like hearing Kyouma talking like the Spy or the fat hacker guy sounding like the Heavy!
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
kirby2096 wrote:

That would be awesome, but I think the only way that would happen is if Funimation decided to partner with JAST. I mean it would boost sales seeing as dub fans would know about the VN along with the other fans Funimation has. They have money to put up ads and what not.

The fact is the vn has a ton of voice work, most of it is Okabe talking or thinking to him self. Still when have you ever seen a text heavy game full voiced in the west?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3