• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: I Think Therefore I Rant

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Listening to last week's ANNCast, I failed to see how you could have possibly felt "attacked", dtm42. There were three people discussing a show, and the criticisms of said show in the forums were brought up, and yours happens to have been the most noteworthy (to say the least).

Bamboo never mentioned you by name, and Zac followed by referencing a stereotypical Trekkie grievance of the franchise (which was hilarious, btw). Theron briefly chimed in and gave his advice on how one should just let logical lapses in anime slide, and that was it. Doesn't seem like an attack to me.

I'm not trying to pick an argument with you. All I'm saying is I think that you should step back and assess the issue, and then determine if it warrants your reaction.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I really don't think that there is a problem with same-sex relationships in anime/manga, at least in Japan. Clamp is known for their use of homosexual relationship in series such as Tokyo Babylon, and it was a pretty good series in my opinion.

spoiler[Except the part when Subaru learns the truth about Seishiruo's decent.] I agree that CLAMP tries to do normal relationships in their manga...most of the time.

Honestly, I liked No.6 as a science-fiction first, then as a normal shonen-ai. The romance was very sweet and the story was quite interesting. (BTW where's that DVD, Sentai?) My only complaint was the ending. spoiler[Seriously, what was up with the Disney death and why did they have to split up??] Anime cry

I really do wish that there were more realistic depictions of LGBT, and even Questioning or Asexual, not only in anime/manga but worldwide media as a whole. Literature doesn't count since there are memoirs and bios. I love Wandering Son and I'm so grateful that Fantagraphics releases the manga. ^__^

In fact, this article about the possibility of Nathan Drake 'coming out' sounded like a great idea!!

I'll admit that I had have my moments (on forums & in real-life) where I'll just say some media is bad because I don't like it or the opposite. Over time, and after listening to other people's point of views, I've realized that it's better to actually explain why I like/don't like something not only to be polite but to display that I have common sense and taste. Nothing wrong with being picky; just have to be constructive. :/
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Factually incorrect drivel.

You again, huh.

Firstly, it doesn't matter that Bamboo didn't mention me by name. She mentioned me specifically - singled me out, basically - and anyone who had read the Winter 2012 Preview Thread would have known whom they were talking about.

Secondly, it was an attack. This is self-evident, but I guess I have to spell it out for you. Comparing me to an awful stereotypical rendition of a Star Trek fanboy is an attack.

Thirdly, you either haven't read or are ignoring both discussion threads for the Winter 2012 Preview and the previous ANNCast. Especially the latter, where I was advised to take medication and likened to a demented chihuahua. It wasn't just the opinions of the three people on the podcast that I take issue with.

I let logical lapses slide all the time in Anime. But I should not be faced with that sort of hostility just from pointing a single lapse out.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:
Factually incorrect drivel.

You again, huh.

Firstly, it doesn't matter that Bamboo didn't mention me by name. She mentioned me specifically - singled me out, basically - and anyone who had read the Winter 2012 Preview Thread would have known whom they were talking about.

Secondly, it was an attack. This is self-evident, but I guess I have to spell it out for you. Comparing me to an awful stereotypical rendition of a Star Trek fanboy is an attack.

Thirdly, you either haven't read or are ignoring both discussion threads for the Winter 2012 Preview and the previous ANNCast. Especially the latter, where I was advised to take medication and likened to a demented chihuahua. It wasn't just the opinions of the three people on the podcast that I take issue with.

I let logical lapses slide all the time in Anime. But I should not be faced with that sort of hostility just from pointing a single lapse out.

Well, regardless of your chosen status as "victim", I'm sick of hearing about it and you're the one who came in here and brought it up again. This thread isn't going to be about you and your issues for the fiftieth goddamn time in a row. Drop it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm cool with that, as long as other people drop it too. Quid pro quo.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
So we never going see Turn a Gundam release here
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
animenexus wrote:

It is possible that we might see a few hundred of the Japanese bluray sent here, but that's about it. Bandai has basically given up on Gundam ever making any real money here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
animenexus wrote:

It is possible that we might see a few hundred of the Japanese bluray sent here, but that's about it. Bandai has basically given up on Gundam ever making any real money here.

I blame god-awful marketing for that. The huge numbers of people who were raised on Gundam Wing didn't just suddenly disappear. Bandai were dealt a great hand with all of these new Western fans yet they stuffed it up. If anything, fans gave up on Bandai before Bandai gave up on us.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's because yuri is mostly Class S stuff about girls in middle/high school feeling affection for their upperclasswoman. There is very little yuri focusing on the sexual nature of the relationship, but a ton dealing with the progress from friends to more-than-friends. I'm not sure I would say that yuri is more 'serious' than yaoi, but the latter definitely has a much larger concentration on the sexual nature of a relationship, and much less about that transition from just friends to more than that.

Re: no sex in yuri, just admiring the older girl... yeah, that can happen. A lot. Blame it on Dear Brother*, maybe.

A certain scanlation team that will remain nameless (though if you're at all into yuri you know them) did a comic mocking the tendency to have yuri feature younger and younger protagonists, removing all sex to make their love more "pure." The final panel was a series featuring fetuses exchanging valentine cards.

That said, I'm going to join with people in talking about Aoi Hana, where in recent chapters "are we going to have sex or not?" is becoming an increasingly important plot point. Takako Shimura, who also writes Wandering Son and wrote the mix of heterosexual, homosexual, and just plain twisted stories in Happy-Go-Lucky Days, really is one of the few authors trying to make a go at being both mainstream and conscious about LGBT issues. Unfortunately neither anime adaptation of her work has done well. Sad I hope that WS gets more success here and some of her other manga becomes available, because she writes well (and her art improves from the someone awkward designs at the beginning of WS).

But again, her series tend to be highlighting the LGBT issues rather than just "they happen to be gay/bi/transgender." I'm with you on that, Zac, but that's a generation away from happening, at least in America. Make it perhaps two in Japan.

*Not that Dear Brother is a bad series (I like it) but it did set a lot of the models that yuri would follow later, in spite of not really being a particularly yuri series.

EDIT: Oh, how I love this comment that someone left on the youtube thread for the Buster clip:
Quote:
i dont think it is appropriate for parents to be shown in childrens television, because they have a child, that means they have had sex. sex should not be implied in childens entertainment. that means arthur's mom and dad must have had sex and that is why arthur and DW exist. that is just messed up

Epic sarcastic rebuttal win!
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's because yuri is mostly Class S stuff about girls in middle/high school feeling affection for their upperclasswoman. There is very little yuri focusing on the sexual nature of the relationship, but a ton dealing with the progress from friends to more-than-friends. I'm not sure I would say that yuri is more 'serious' than yaoi, but the latter definitely has a much larger concentration on the sexual nature of a relationship, and much less about that transition from just friends to more than that.

I've found that I can't stand Class S yuri for the most part any more due to the culture of Japan. In Japan, it's accepted for these kinds of relationships to happen between high school girls because it helps keep them "pure" until they get older, "grow up," marry, and have kids. They're expected to grow out of that stage and become the "dutiful, supporting wife." So if the series doesn't end up with a full-fledged relationship (no, sex doesn't need to occur or be shown... I just want acknowledgement of the relationship, maybe even a kiss, nothing more than most heterosexual relationships) I can't stand it, because all I can think about is the expectations and how these characters are likely to take a man later. Screw that.

And I can't stand a majority of yaoi either, once again due to the culture. I hate the seme/uke stereotypes, which reflect the traditional gender roles - one being the leader/protector and the other being supporter. I'm tired of these reminders of heterosexuality (even if that's not necessarily the intention) within the homosexual shows I'm watching, yuri or yaoi. I also hate the rape, but that's an entirely different monster.

I do appreciate yaoi and yuri for one thing though - they really helped me through a developmental time in my life and become more open to such relationships (and come to terms with my own sexuality). Even if they are cliched and filled with a lot of the things I can't stand now, at least they, y'know, actually acknowledge those relationships, and in a fairly positive manner (sans rape and abuse). Just seeing them helped. Was I naive for a while and thought, "oh, so this is how homosexual relationships go"? Yes, but with experience (both in life and fandom) I was able to learn what were falsehoods and what was fanservice. And frankly, that's what I think many children lack: exposure. Parents want to hide them from the world. My parents did at the time (although they have grown with me on my journey by accepting me as I am... I'm certain that they still have misgivings and a few personal feelings on the matter, but we all love one another to accept each other).

I kinda agree with Zac though that I see the West having more exposure sooner to homosexual relationships. As I've grown up, I've seen more and more boundaries being pushed. Of course, since I don't live in Japan, I lack exposure to the other side so I can't make an extremely well-informed opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
EDIT: Oh, how I love this comment that someone left on the youtube thread for the Buster clip:
Quote:
i don't think it is appropriate for parents to be shown in childrens television, because they have a child, that means they have had sex. sex should not be implied in childens entertainment. that means arthur's mom and dad must have had sex and that is why arthur and DW exist. that is just messed up

Epic sarcastic rebuttal win!

LOL! That is amusing. Although I do have to dock a few points from the commentor for neglecting to mention Arthur and D.W.'s little sister, Kate.

Now that I've finally listened to the whole podcast and have a few free minutes, let's see what else I can contribute.

Gundam: So far, my only real exposure to this property was watching the first episode on Anime News Network when the site had the series available for streaming. Unfortunately, I didn't watch past episode one, due to the fact that I was having a lot of buffering issues when I watched the stream. When I learned that the first DVD box set for the original Gundam series was being released, I placed a purchase request with my local library system for it. They did purchase it, although it took a while for them to get it. I was checking my holds the other day, and saw that the set has now been officially added to the system, and a copy is on its way to my local library for me to pick up and check out. I should be able to get it next week, and finally be able to delve a little bit into the Gundam universe. Smile

Opinions: Luckily, I haven't had to deal with anybody flaming me about my opinions on anime, whether it's here or at the site where I write about anime. I'm sure that at some point I probably experience it, though; it's just a matter of time, I think.

Freelancing: I'm a freelance writer and editor, but I'm fortunate enough to not be the main breadwinner for the family. My husband has the regular job, and any money I make from freelancing helps shore up our income to make it a little easier to be able to pay for all the bills and necessities that we need to pay for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
Okay okay okay, my favorite part of this thread is when Zac called dtm..."buster" hahaha! SO GOLD!!

Thank you for making me laugh. It's been a rough night.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
I was really touched by something that Hannah said in her segment about how watching Sailor Moon and CCS helped her transition to adult life. Most notable because so much media conforms to the standard m/f formula. If kids were able to access media like she did earlier in life, I can't help but think would be beneficial. Sure, we have the "it gets better" campaign, but that only addresses the situation at the point of desperation, where the kid doesn't feel they have any options at all. Sad

Michael's segment was a complete revelation. I had no idea that I was one of the "Select 6"! Very Happy It also presented a good segue into the discussion about divisive fandom, where I couldn't avoid thinking about how I never get involved in Gundam discussions since they always turn into huge pissing contests. I probably am going to start something by admitting this, but I have bought and enjoyed pretty much all Gundam series. I accept each show on its own merits, and appreciate each in its own way.

@Brian - perhaps you might want to think about starting your own online discussion group. I know people who start invitation-only, private bulletin boards. You can usually just invite people in by private messaging them on the other known BB's, like this one. At least it gives you some security in knowing that the people you choose are somewhat less likely to go batshit on you in the middle of a conversation. I really could sympathize with you. The worst "attacks" I have ever received occurred when I was completely ambivalent about something. I remember one time where this guy was demanding that I " apologize to the show's creators and the entire nation of Japan" just because I remarked that the show in question looked like "typical shounen fare". Another time, one my ambivalent remarks earned me the title of "traitor of humanity". LOL Laughing
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Personally I don't buy the idea that MSG killed Gundam in America because other franchise have weathered failure before. Star Trek Enterprise didn't do very well and it was followed by the Abram's movie, Kara Zor-el's popularity skyrocketed decades after she was created, Gundam in Japan had Gundam Seed be a huge success after the failure of Gundam X, and Turn A Gundam. How many Gundam fans remain that where actually introduced through Gundam Wing in 2000? The whole thing just comes off as a scapegoat for Gundam's problems.

All the counter-examples you're quoting are successes that came after failures which occurred long after those franchises were firmly established - Star Trek had been a successful franchise for 35 years before Enterprise, Gundam was continually successful in Japan for almost 20 years before Gundam X, and as you say yourself, Supergirl was around for decades before her popularity 'skyrocketed'.
Cartoon Network aired MSG one year after Gundam Wing. Do you think one year was enough time to establish such a large and dedicated Gundam fanbase in the west that the franchise could come back from a colossal flop like that? More likely interest in the franchise withered and died before it could really dig in.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Throwing in my two penn'orth as a heterosexual male, I found the building of the relationship between Sion and Nezumi in No. 6 to be the most interesting part of the show!
The waltz sequence remains one of my favourite anime sequences of last year right up there with the Clair de Lune sequence from episode 1 of Wandering Son, and the Seizon Senryaku! from Mawaru Penguindrum.
When Sion kissed Nezumi, I thought "About bloody time!"

It was all very chaste and really if anyone took offence to that then they need to grow up and get a life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18