• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - From Me to Yu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Yeah... Pass. I loved Fruits Basket, Boys Over Flowers and His and Hers Circumstances, but if KnT is as bad as Peach Boy, I'll pass.

I said it wasn't as good as Peach Girl.

I know. You liked Peach Boy more, I however, did not like Peach Boy compared to the others. Thus, if KnT is/was worse than Peach Boy, I most certainly won't care for KnT. I wasn't trying to misquote you.

Sorry, I was trying to joke with you a bit... Peach Girl is not the same thing as Peach Boy.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
In this case, it would appear that by being more accessible Redline is also conveniently less "foreign".

Interestingly, in the extras, the director says he wanted to make something that didn't look like anime, that you couldn't tell was from Japan, so that foreign audiences could enjoy it.

Oguiemaniax kind of has my number in this Redline piece on his blog:
Oguiemaniax wrote:
...I have a hard time believing that it qualifies as “broadly appealing,” unless your definition of “broadly appealing” is limited to geeks with a penchant for thrills and visual spectacle, or alternately, anime fans from previous decades, especially from when “anime” was closely tied to “science fiction” in their eyes.

...I'm a science fiction fan who likes technically accomplished 2D animation.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
This is might make lending easier, but if people are so sensitive that they shut down the minute any combination of nipples and plasma occur on screen, well, I sincerely doubt they have the presence of mind to appreciate something like Redline any more than they would Transformers II. What's the point of making Fois Gras appetizing for people who want cheeseburgers?

Indeed, my dad is a big fan of drag racing, and I'd love to watch Redline with him (it is not drag racing, and dad hates Indy cars because they drive around in boring circles, but there is no circular Redline track...). When I was home over Christmas, however, even Tintin was vetoed as dad refused to see any movie that was animated or subtitled.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
I don't have any interest in Redline, as it seems to be one of those spectacular but ultimately banal animation demos like Dead Leaves or Wings of Honneamise. I prefer an emphasis on character, story and theme.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Interestingly, in the extras, the director says he wanted to make something that didn't look like anime, that you couldn't tell was from Japan, so that foreign audiences could enjoy it.

Would you say that trying to make anime "accessible" in this way is missing the point? My impressions are that it is far more meaningful, and likely successful, to simply try and make a good movie.

eyeresist wrote:
I don't have any interest in Redline, as it seems to be one of those spectacular but ultimately banal animation demos like Dead Leaves or Wings of Honneamise. I prefer an emphasis on character, story and theme.

If you know what you like and tend to avoid action that's one thing, but it's going to get frustrating trying to explain to people why you "don't like the thing you didn't see because you heard it might be like that thing you didn't like" and that thing is a landmark of achievement in the medium...
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
I really never got the fascination with KnT. There are many MUCH better shoujo pieces out there. Guess it was just a "in the right place at the right time" deal for a lot of people who generally claim to hate shoujo. Meh.

And yeah, Eizou Hakusho isn't really worth it. But i bought it anyway because YYH is one of the best anime series ever produced.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Yeah... Pass. I loved Fruits Basket, Boys Over Flowers and His and Hers Circumstances, but if KnT is as bad as Peach Boy, I'll pass.

I said it wasn't as good as Peach Girl.

I know. You liked Peach Boy more, I however, did not like Peach Boy compared to the others. Thus, if KnT is/was worse than Peach Boy, I most certainly won't care for KnT. I wasn't trying to misquote you.

Sorry, I was trying to joke with you a bit... Peach Girl is not the same thing as Peach Boy.

*leaves to check link* Oh... Oh, dear! No, Peach Girl and Peach Boy are most certainly NOT the same. Shojo & Yaoi not Same-Same! LOL!

Yeah... I'm a genius. And no, there was nothing Freudian about it.

Erin: 1
Me: 0
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

Yeah, then your instinct to stay away from Redline is bang on. I saw it in the theatre and kind of dug it, but I definitely don't share the same virtually orgasmic delight that many other viewers experience. It is an entertaining spectacle, but ultimately the fact I didn't give two shits about any of the characters or the story limited its impact for me.
Eternal September

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
I don't think that Sawako should have had a tragic backstory.

I like the idea that being grateful for all the pleasant things in life isn't some special, twisted wordview, but generally achievable for people with a nice attitude.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Eternal September wrote:

She had a tragic backstory? I skipped a few of the earlier volumes
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The first thing that hit me about Redline was the lack of shadows in favor of dark black inks.

Believe it or not, I do not sit around waiting to challenge you on things, but I don't understand saying there's a lack of shadows.

EDIT: Maybe you meant to say "lacks shading"... but I gotta ask: "What is a 'dark' black?" Smile

The art, particularly the shadows(atleast what I would call shadows) has been the main barrier to my embracing Redline. Regardless of the base color of the surface, the 'shadows' are black. I also have a pet peeve about outlining of each individual tooth in a character's mouth. The word Fugly keeps coming to mind.

I don't think liking the art is a sign of bad taste, just not mine. I'm glad people like it.

I fell asleep in the theatre when the action tapered off. I did appreciate the animation and the funny parts but minus the basic art as eye-candy(for me), it wasn't enough to hold me.

I would like to see it again to give it a fair shake as a whole, but every time I look at the art I just go 'bleh!'

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:09 am; edited 4 times in total
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, the more I keep hearing about Redline, the less I want to see it. And it's for such a stupid reason too. When too many people just plain fish over a series, not just say "hey, that's a pretty good show" but talk it up like it's the greatest thing ever then I instantly resist it and my desire to watch is greatly diminished. It doesn't help that I had never heard of it prior to so many going nuts over it. Too much hype isn't a good thing, since nothing can live up to that much of it. Perhaps in a couple years when it's forgotten, I'll feel like giving it a try.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
osakaedo wrote:
Put me in the pro-KnT camp. I'd easily watch that over RedLine any day of the week. Sawako is way more luvable than Funky Boy.

I was thinking of cosplaying as Funky Boy.

If you cosplay as Funky Boy, I'll cosplay as Miki & Todoroki at the same time.
Eternal September

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
mannyperson wrote:
Eternal September wrote:

No, it was a reply to the article, that said that she should have had one, as if her personality is "unjustified" without it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I dunno, the more I keep hearing about Redline, the less I want to see it. And it's for such a stupid reason too. When too many people just plain fish over a series, not just say "hey, that's a pretty good show" but talk it up like it's the greatest thing ever then I instantly resist it and my desire to watch is greatly diminished. It doesn't help that I had never heard of it prior to so many going nuts over it. Too much hype isn't a good thing, since nothing can live up to that much of it. Perhaps in a couple years when it's forgotten, I'll feel like giving it a try.

This is not an uncommon experience. E.T. came out when I was 17 years old and the unbelievable "This is the Second Coming, y'all" hype turned me off so much that I didn't watch it until about 10 years later.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
mannyperson wrote:
Eternal September wrote:

What Eternal September was responding to is Erin's gripe that Sawako had no tragic backstory to justify why she is so withdrawn and socially incompetent and stunted. Eternal September is saying that they like how Sawako is nice and courteous and they don't want that simply to be the result of a tragic past but more from her innate personality.

I would agree with that, except Sawako did have a tragic backstory. Anyone who has ever suffered through social isolation knows how horrible it is to grow up without friends. Sawako is a lovely girl, innately nice, but she has had a massively lonely school life. She's making friends for the first time in her entire life and she doesn't know how to react, she doesn't know what's normal. And she doesn't take anything for granted.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Eternal September wrote:
mannyperson wrote:
Eternal September wrote:

No, it was a reply to the article, that said that she should have had one, as if her personality is "unjustified" without it.

Oh haha got it. I agree with you that tragic backstories aren't always necessary, and I think KnT is defintely one of those cases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5