• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Inaho's fight didn't add anything new about him or the enemy, and the music in those scenes was a bit annoying for my taste. The Vers empire scheming and plotting was a lot more interesting to watch. I still hope for Cruhteo to be put in challenging situations and forced to make harder decisions than "kill all humans". I'd love to see him forced to join forces with Slaine in order to rescue the princess whom he seems to care about in some rather unemotional way, but, hey, better than nothing. I suppose we will learn more about the teacher's trauma next week. He cannot continue going spoiler[PTSD] whenever he has to enter a mecha, after all. Also, what role did spoiler[Slaine's dad] play in all of this?
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
They should just put spoiler[ Inaho in charge of...well, everything and the world would be saved in an instant... Rolling Eyes]

Seriously, i liked that we learned more about Slaine (though that spoiler["romantic" CPR scene] was kinda tacky) and Vers politics in general. I had hoped the spoiler[armistice would have held a bit longer and we'd get more diplomacy, but it looks like it'll be back to more mecha battles next week.]
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
God I love this series. It's just a joy to watch all of the different plot components interact and effect each other. Most series tend to just settle into routine, but we've had five episodes of more or less constant BUT THEN THIS PERSON SUSPECTS THAT PERSON BECAUSE OF THAT THING THEY DID LAST EPISODE. It honestly makes me wonder if Urobuchi and co were binging on Game of Thrones when they came up with these screenplays.

My only two flaws so far:

1) Still waiting for Inaho to get any character trait beyond "is un-emotional and perfect at everything". With the number of girls concerned for his safety in this episode I'm starting to worry he's going to turn into the protagonist of Mahouka.

(Although I was interested in how the second in command woman comments that spoiler["he seems like a useful boy"] given Inaho's actual role in the story so far has been more of a living weapon than a character. In fact I have to wonder if that isn't the whole point- instead of some awesome prototype robot, the human's secret ace up their sleeve is this emotionless killing machine who may as well be a robot.)

2) Girl whose dad was one of the assassins is clearly a massive plot bomb waiting to fire, but at the moment she's not actually doing a whole lot besides being kind of cryptic and making snide remarks. I'm hoping that changes soon.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

Seriously, i liked that we learned more about Slaine (though that spoiler["romantic" CPR scene] was kinda tacky) and Vers politics in general.

Speaking of which, what exactly was up with that spoiler[CPR (?) scene]? At first I thought she just didn't know what she was doing, being young and all, but then it looked more like she spoiler[was sucking the water from his chest. Even bad romantic CPR moments don't look like that.]
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh Jebus, Baywatch had more realistic ( and less sexy (?) ) spoiler[CPR scenes ] than this.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
The guy is half dead, almost drowned in some kind of LCL fluid and the scene is "romantic" ? There was no romance, no sexual tension not anything. I guess all these people looking at this scene in sexual terms I wonder what they see in the Conan and Lana (from Conan the Future Boy) kiss scene ? Rolling Eyes
Fans are so obsessed with wanting to pair the characters in this show they would grasp at straws just to fullfil their vision of things. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
but then it looked more like she spoiler[was sucking the water from his chest. ]

That's exactly what she was doing. spoiler[Notice how she turns her head and spits it out a few times.]

I was a fool for even having the briefest hope that spoiler[Slaine would get the emperor on his side. Well played, Count dude. Well played.]
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't ship or enjoy romance, but I think I think the spoiler[CPR (for lack of a better word) scene] is meant to serve that purpose. It wasn't overtly romantic or sexual, but it did play up the lips-on-mouth imagery. It's implied that spoiler[Slaine has feelings for her in the first ep as well.] This is probably meant to press that point.

Vaisaga wrote:
RestLessone wrote:
but then it looked more like she spoiler[was sucking the water from his chest. ]

That's exactly what she was doing. spoiler[Notice how she turns her head and spits it out a few times.]

I was a fool for even having the briefest hope that spoiler[Slaine would get the emperor on his side. Well played, Count dude. Well played.]

That's what I surprised me about it. I don't know if the writer just has a weird idea about what happens spoiler[during CPR or if it's, like, a Martian power or something. Oh, and I also thought Slaine would have a breakthrough. No luck for that boy anywhere. Next he's probably going to be grounded for sneaking off.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Wild eyed prediction spoiler[Slaine is an illegitimate child between a royal house member and a Terran Mars colonist, ie Slaine and Asseylum are cousins, the important part is that this gives Slaine the ability to pilot the currently not introduced "Aldnoah Zero".
Even if Slaine isn't of royal blood, my money is still on him being of mixed heritage with his light color hair and blue eyes as the indicator.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
That's what I surprised me about it. I don't know if the writer just has a weird idea about what happens spoiler[during CPR or if it's, like, a Martian power or something.]

The way I saw it, spoiler[he was doing a pretty good job vomiting that LCL out of his system, but when he kinda conked out, she took over drawing it out for him.] Not sure the reality of such an action and honestly I don't care.

But it sure was animated to look like spoiler[a heavy make out session.]
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

The way I saw it, spoiler[he was doing a pretty good job vomiting that LCL out of his system, but when he kinda conked out, she took over drawing it out for him.] Not sure the reality of such an action and honestly I don't care.

But it sure was animated to look like spoiler[a heavy make out session.]

My first thought when seeing it was of people sucking poison from snake bites. It's not a big deal or anything, honestly. I was more struck by the spoiler['make out session'] vibe, as you call it. I found it a bit jarring. spoiler[One can pretty much tell how a CPR/CPR-ish scene is supposed to be taken by how its shown. Really, quote-unquote real CPR looks pretty awkward and sometimes panicy or fearful. The sensual movements here are why I'd put it under the 'romantic CPR' umbrella.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, judging by the hallway conversation with the handmaiden, it looks like the princess really is who she's claiming to be. There goes the theory that she's a bodydouble.

And wow, what a dumb CPR scene . . .
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Good thing it wasn't CPR then.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
^
You know exactly what I mean, but I guess I'll spell it out. spoiler[It wasn't CPR but it was functionally similar - at least in "getting-the-two-to-kiss" kind of way - that a person could reasonably call it that. As for the specifics; how could she suck the water out of his lungs? And if it isn't water but instead this anime's version of LCL, then he didn't need to get it out of his system in the first place since he could breathe through it anyway. (FYI, real life liquid breathing fluid has already been made and tested successfully on mice, and such a system could one day be used in the space industry because it limits g shocks.)]

The whole cold open is daft. spoiler[What was he doing crashing into the palace in the first place? Why wasn't his pod shot down by Vers defenses as a suspected missile? And why was the princess the only person in the entire palace, or else the only person who noticed? I tell you, if a space pod crashed into Buckingham Palace or the White House people would bloody effing know about it.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

If you think about it, spoiler[beating two mecha because of putting them in large bodies of water] actually makes a lot of sense as the first episode made note that they spoiler[don't have that sort of thing where they come from]. Simply put their spoiler[giant mecha were not made for water], like some sort of reverse Gargantia thing. It is not like Inaho's plan was that crazy.

And F, just when things seem to be going good they all fall down the crapper again. spoiler[Slaine did everything he could and was undermined].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 90