• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
At this point you should expect pretty much every significant Aniplex title to go to AoA. Thats how its gone the last couple seasons (like with Tempest, Magi, Sword Art Online, Vividred, OreShura, etc). The days of them handing those titles to others are likely past us, due to how successful releasing them through the American branch has been.

Which means I won't be purchasing those titles as I refuse to pay their price points. It doesn't matter if I like the series, what matters is that I refused to get gouged just to own them. This is my decision, just as the price-points AoA uses are theirs (or AoJ's).

And if this pricing strategy were to spread to all American anime publishers, it would probably mark the end of my purchasing of anime: it would force me out. And, I imagine, would make people who are thinking about starting to buy anime think twice about it. Anime ownership would become an increasingly niche concept, and eventually it would be publishers selling luxury editions for the few that are willing and able to pay for it. I think that would be a sad eventuality, but it is certainly a possible one. I hope that day never comes.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
At this point you should expect pretty much every significant Aniplex title to go to AoA. Thats how its gone the last couple seasons (like with Tempest, Magi, Sword Art Online, Vividred, OreShura, etc). The days of them handing those titles to others are likely past us, due to how successful releasing them through the American branch has been.

Which means I won't be purchasing those titles as I refuse to pay their price points. It doesn't matter if I like the series, what matters is that I refused to get gouged just to own them. This is my decision, just as the price-points AoA uses are theirs (or AoJ's).

If a person likes a series but cannot afford to legally purchase it due to ignorance of the company holding the rights to it---well that person will resort to illegally watching it or illegally pirating it, and I won't blame him
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten all about this. I remember them mention it at NYCC last year but it slipped my mind. Thought it was out already.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
If a person likes a series but cannot afford to legally purchase it due to ignorance of the company holding the rights to it---well that person will resort to illegally watching it or illegally pirating it, and I won't blame him

Or legally watching some digital release that is either free or substantially inexpensive(*), which has been an option for AoA's releases.

* Edited to remove relative comparison to prices of physical media.

Last edited by agila61 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ssandulak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Seems odd to stifle a discussion even though it's getting heated. Controversial is interesting...that being said, Aniplex threads do tend to kind of devolve into name calling.

I've purchased Aniplex shows before, and probably will again. Am I happy about the price points? Of course not. Fate/Zero was worth the price and Gurren Lagann probably will be as well. Financially I guess it must be working though. I'm curious why reverse importing only seems to enter into arguments with Aniplex though? Wouldn't things like Steins;Gate get reverse imported also? Why don't they worry about it? If that's been answered before let me know.
Personally I'd rather just wait longer if that is what they had to do.

In any case, the Gurren Lagann set looks gorgeous...and I'll seriously consider buying it...begrudgingly...Aniplex just seems to get all my favourite shows.
Aniplex certainly knows what to announce in a panel though. They announced this at Sakura-con (was in the audience) and they left out the prices on purpose as to not to kill the mood. It had an import notice in brackets, but from the cheering, I could tell I was one of the few who noticed it lol.

One last point on the price though. Why would you have it higher than it would cost you to import it through amazon? Anyone willing to pay that price is obviously going to do their research and get the cheaper version of the same thing...it just makes no sense in my brain.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seems odd to stifle a discussion even though it's getting heated.

When EVERY single aniplex ends up like this, it's to be expected.

Quote:
Controversial is interesting...

Not when said controversy has already been played out literally 10+ times before, with almost nothing new being said by either party.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
True enough, but to just disallow the discussion because of that would be to sweep it under the rug. If people still think it's a problem each time, people can at least hear them out. Admittedly you're going to get a lot of the exact same arguments, but I'd be surprised if someone doesn't bring up SOME new point, or interesting tidbit each time. No matter how small Smile
You can sort of tell when people are just complaining for it's own sake. But this being the internet, there will always be people just trying to get a rise out of others.

I'm still iffy on Valvrave the Liberator...we'll see how that one shakes out. Sunrise's track record is spotty at best.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
ssandulak, you apparently haven't had to wade through the hundreds of pages (and I'm not exaggerating here) of tedious, repetitive arguments about the exact same points on this issue, or seen how often these discussions get nasty and descend into hurling insults. This one was at the latter point when I cut it off and started deleting things. At the time I cut it off, the discussion had blown up to 18 pages in only a bit over six hours, so there was definitely no shortage of opportunity to hash out the topic.

And considering that we were getting multiple complaints and I had people openly thanking me for slamming the lid on the discussion, I have no qualms that I made the right call.

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
in the 80s people used to rent videos when they could not afford to buy them all.
not sure if you can rent aniplex titles on netflix

anyway, most new aniplex titles are easily viewable for free online
such as on crackle which is owned by sony
and on crunchyroll

gurren lagann is not available right now as the bandai licensed expired
this show is old anyway; why didn't you watch it 4 years ago, it even aired on TV multiple times.
I cannot take you serious when you cry about missing out on it now.

I also do not see much difference between lisara and highschool DAnime hyper
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
gurren lagann is not available right now as the bandai licensed expired
this show is old anyway; why didn't you watch it 4 years ago, it even aired on TV multiple times.
I cannot take you serious when you cry about missing out on it now.

First time it was offered for BD. It is not about watching, but about owning. Now owning a BD release.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
ssandulak wrote:
One last point on the price though. Why would you have it higher than it would cost you to import it through amazon? Anyone willing to pay that price is obviously going to do their research and get the cheaper version of the same thing...it just makes no sense in my brain.
There are three reasons that come to mind: Shipping, duties and translation costs. The bet is that people will prefer the translation booklet over saving some money, though the spreads have gotten pretty big with the Yen's depreciation.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
So the books would be translated? Cause it specifically says a lot of the stuff won't be translated (though I assumed that was the on disc content).
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
AoA adds a booklet with translations to their imports. I don't know if they provide translations for everything, though.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
AoA adds a booklet with translations to their imports. I don't know if they provide translations for everything, though.

Yeah, but how well they're translated is another story entirely. So far, AoA is pretty notorious for not having the most talented translation team, not to mention their booklets are often rife with typos.

You'd think for a company that specializes in high-price "quality releases" that they'd at least be able to afford a decent translator who knows how to run a spell-checker. Rolling Eyes

Not to mention that there's nothing mentioned in the listing for the BR box that lists a translation booklet, so yeah. Confused
DeathShrike
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm baffled by people defending Aniplex's head-in-the-sand pricing, and even MORE baffled by those people berating others who are frustrated that they can't afford their favorite shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 24