• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
since there seems to be confusion, i just capped all the stuff they cut out:

Simon's intro

Fake Kamina begging

the scene before the last battle

the explosion of the spiral universe

there might have also been cuts in 25, but i don't remember.
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
One moment they also cut was the Anti-Spirals reaching for planet earth, and then being lassoed by Dayakka. It cut in right as that was happening and Dayakka gave his "I HAVE THE GREATEST WIFE IN THE UNIVERSE!" speech.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
What gets me about Sci-Fi's cuts isn't necessarily that they're being required to cut material due to their commercial times (well, to be honest, it does get me, but I know it can't be helped)...it's how they're cutting material. Take episode 27, for instance. The entire first two minutes of the episode could have been excised without much fuss at all, since they were essentially recapping the same scene between Nia and the Anti-Spiral that took place at the end of 26. That would have left the time to include things like the entire scene above Earth. (Which was, y'know, only part of the climax of the whole show. Nothing important here, no sir.) They also missed at least one tailor-made spot for a commercial break in 27, instead slapping one or two of them in some of the most awkward moments to do so (not that there were really any truly good moments in that episode). And if not for the network's inane slap-ads-over-the-credits practice, they could have sliced that out too and gone right to the epilogue (which I'm almost surprised was left in). If you're going to take the time to go through an episode hunting for cuts, the least you can do is do it right.

In short, give me [adult swim] any day of the week. Sure, their schedule is insane, but at least they actually show the entire series.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun, where was the perfect commercial spot for TTGL?

And as far as I've noticed with CG and Bleach, AS doesn't go to commercial at the same obvious spots as the Japanese version. I've seen the eyecatch cards on CG go by, then they go to commercial a few minutes after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Boy, apparently I'm not accurately remembering what I saw of those last two episodes on DVD, then. (I was only renting it, and had returned it a few days earlier.) I did not even notice that those scenes had been cut. Razz

Sci Fi Network did some highly questionable cutting in some earlier episodes, though (especially 18, where they cut a scene out that was later flashed back to in episode 19), so I guess this shouldn't surprise me much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Top Gun, where was the perfect commercial spot for TTGL?

And as far as I've noticed with CG and Bleach, AS doesn't go to commercial at the same obvious spots as the Japanese version. I've seen the eyecatch cards on CG go by, then they go to commercial a few minutes after.

I don't remember which exact moment it was, but I think it was a good two or three minutes before they actually took their first commercial break. Someone in the chat I was taking part in pointed it out as soon as it passed, and I immediately understood what he meant. It might have been right after the reunion with Nia concluded.

And there are semi-rare instances where [as] will cut to their mid-episode commercial break somewhere other than the Japanese break, but they usually use the latter for the majority of their commercials. I was referring more to the fact that [as] uses only one prolonged break in the middle of an episode and one at the end, as opposed to the multiple (yet still almost as long) breaks throughout an episode that Sci-Fi employs. It's a setup that's far more appealing to me as a viewer, even if you take the cut content out of the equation.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
And there are semi-rare instances where [as] will cut to their mid-episode commercial break somewhere other than the Japanese break, but they usually use the latter for the majority of their commercials. I was referring more to the fact that [as] uses only one prolonged break in the middle of an episode and one at the end, as opposed to the multiple (yet still almost as long) breaks throughout an episode that Sci-Fi employs. It's a setup that's far more appealing to me as a viewer, even if you take the cut content out of the equation.

That is, when AS isn't airing anime premieres at 5am on Saturday nights when no one is up to see them. Razz

I'm well used to AniMonday's frequent commercials and the immediate lead-in to the next show from the previous. It keeps me on my toes. Since they could cut to commercial(or cut back from commercial) at any time, I'm more inclined to stay in my seat and watch. It's fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
Got around to finishing it (as I'd already seen the Japanese version), and it's definitely cemented as my favorite anime of all time, certainly the ultimate short-run shonen anime at the very least. There are just so many incredible scenes where they leapfrog beyond expectations, and nothing else has been so moving in its delivery. I have a little Revoltech Gurren Lagann on top of my monitor, I hope they make a Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann at some point.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I hope they make a Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann at some point.

Already have. And Enkidu, Lazengann, and Yoko
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

Don't forget Kamina. Though I want them to make Ark and Super Galactic, those were my two favorite forms.

Slighty OT: got the DVD artbox today (FYE had it in early, ya!). Yeah, I've noticed a few scenes that were cut already. Like Kamina's gang in the village getting off the hook after begging, but Kamina refusing to beg. Not seriously important, BUT spoiler[it has more meaning when you see "fake Kamina" beg to the police to be forgiven. While even without the episode 1 scene we know Kamina would never beg like that, the episode 1 scene did a nice job of reflecting the fake vision to come. Pretty cool.]
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting way to think about it, but I've heard it said that Gainax deconstructed the entire mecha genre with Evangelion(resulting in a wave of dark brooding mecha anime), then 10 years later Gainax reconstructed the mecha genre with TTGL(hopefully resulting in a wave of cheerful hot-blooded mecha anime).
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
It's an interesting way to think about it, but I've heard it said that Gainax deconstructed the entire mecha genre with Evangelion(resulting in a wave of dark brooding mecha anime), then 10 years later Gainax reconstructed the mecha genre with TTGL(hopefully resulting in a wave of cheerful hot-blooded mecha anime).

*ahem*
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:

*ahem*

That looks like Voltron-era vintage stuff. If it came before EVA, how can it reconstruct the genre that EVA deconstructed?
zhir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:

*ahem*

That looks like Voltron-era vintage stuff.

It's not.

Quote:
If it came before EVA

It didn't. Eva was 1995, GaoGaiGar was 1997.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Royal Devil wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

Don't forget Kamina. Though I want them to make Ark and Super Galactic, those were my two favorite forms.

Kamina? Not yet they haven't. To date we've got:
-Gurren Lagann [5/15/08]
-Lazengann [6/15/08]
-Gurren Lagann (Wonderfest metallic repaint) [8/3/08]
-Gurren Lagann Fully Drillized [8/15/08]
-Enki [9/15/08]
-Fraulein Yoko [10/1/08]
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann [10/15/08]
-Enkidu [11/15/08]
-Enkidudu [12/15/08]
-Fraulein Anti-Spiral Nia [TBA]

The line isn't showing any sign of slowing down. Next year's offerings haven't been previewed, but I'm hoping there's some of the larger formations offered. Something I really want more than anything is set of the separate Gurren and Lagann. They don't have to combine or anything, i just want the individual figures represented. So far I've got everything that's been released (except for that Wonderfest exclusive and Enkidu which hasn't been shipped yet, Yoko and TTGL are in the mail) and this has become my favorite Revoltech series, hopefully they can keep of the one a month pace for a while longer.

Emerje

------------------------
EDIT

Just read that supposedly Enkidudu is going to be a magazine exclusive! Son of a! Also looks like the main "Yamaguchi" line (i.e. the line GL is in) is taking a break until May. Just great, all of the money that i would be saving from the break is going to be spent trying to track down an Enkidudu on ebay to finish the line (assuming GL isn't part of the May 3.0 reboot).

*sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 24