• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Sword Art Online II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Or is it a case of a poor girl who managed to find solace in the game and happened to come into contact with Asuna?

#1. I agree. This is a rough ep for many to take because it deals with drama and emotions instead of strategy and action.

#2. The remote unit Asuna is using for Yuuri is described in detail in "Fountains of Paradise" by Arthur C. Clarke! The guy was a genius!!

#3. Max, instead of Yui getting a android body, give VR reincarnated Yuuki one! Kayaba in Hollow Fragment game kind of hints that he is a full VR soul transplant so there's hope for Yuuki yet!.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sword Art Online whiplash struck once again this week, as out from the ashes of last week's overselling emerged one of the most thoughtful and well-articulated episodes of the season.

After last week I didn't expect to be on board with this at all...

This was pretty much my response to it, although I actually was expecting this episode to be good. But I didn't expect it to be this good. One great episode does not a franchise make, but it does make me kind of mourn what it could have been when I see what they're capable of.

I loved the forest scenes and the memories of her grandparents, and that her mother didn't get a complete personality transplant after seeing the light. I also thought Yuuki's warning about Kirito was interesting. Obviously planting seeds for the next installment. Smile

The only small criticism I had was the design of her mother's VR outfit which slightly sabotaged her emotional moment at the window for me. They did the same thing with Sion's emotional moment in the GG arc while she was crying in Kirito's arms. I think they just can't help themselves. Smile

There's another episode in this arc, right? spoiler[Yuuki's expression when Asuna mentioned another day at school didn't bode well to me.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes, there's only one more episode. This series finishes out with 25, the same as the first one, although the recap episode after the Phantom Bullet arc being numbered 14.5 makes it seem like it's finishing one episode shorter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The only small criticism I had was the design of her mother's VR outfit which slightly sabotaged her emotional moment at the window for me.

But I think it is the only scene in the whole show where Asuna's mother has any introspection at all. It starts with her examining her "own" avatar's face in the mirror. Prior to that there was no evidence that she had any doubt whatever about who she was and who she should be in her own estimation. That had to change for her to be able to connect with Asuna gain.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I think you misunderstood me. But it's not a big thing, so I'll leave it at that instead of spelling it out. Smile
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yes, there's only one more episode. This series finishes out with 25, the same as the first one, although the recap episode after the Phantom Bullet arc being numbered 14.5 makes it seem like it's finishing one episode shorter.

It's 24. Episode 14.5 is included as a bonus on JP BD/DVD volume 5 (priced at the same price as a 2-episode volume). Its inclusion in the line-up is likely due to the production delays for Mushi-shi, which started two weeks late.

Fate/Stay Night's 1 hour episodes were scheduled very strategically. Episode 0 would be on October 4 alongside SAO II episode 14, ending that arc. Mushi-shi would have that week off to give it 12 timeslots until December 27. Episode 1 would be on October 11 with SAO II off and Mushi-shi S2 ep 11/13 (counting the 2 ep specials) airing. SAO II would finish on December 21, giving F/SN its timeslot again for episode 12.

Unfortunately, production delays for Mushi-shi meant F/SN took the hour after SAO II two weeks in a row, forcing Aniplex to make a recap episode of SAO to air as they had no plans for something else to run in that timeslot.

(This is Sony's E!TV timeslot on Saturday nights on Tokyo MX and a few other stations. This season has SAO II/Fate/Mushi-shi at 23:30/24:00/24:30 respectively. Aniplex can wiggle around its shows there as needed. Here's this year's lineup.)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
So that wasn't the normal "we're behind on production" excuse, eh? Interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I bawled at this last episode. Haven't cried so much at an anime's end since Air.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
After this ending, I hope they do a third season (and that they do it this well). What little I've heard of the next arc sounds interesting and there's certainly enough source material. I think the next arc is around 6 or 7 volumes long now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Muphrid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
And now, with SAO II concluded, let's look back.

Muphrid reviews: SAO II part one -- Phantom Bullet arc

Striving to say something real or virtual

If nothing else, I have to commend Kawahara for trying to say something meaningful with the Phantom Bullet arc. Sinon's distinct separation between the real and virtual world, Shinkawa's attitudes toward what he was doing with his life, and Kirito's struggle with how his actions in Aincrad reflected on him as a person--these are all worth pondering, especially as our own world draws closer to harnessing the promise of virtual reality. This clear intention to explore a theme stands out compared to the Aincrad and Fairy Dance arcs of SAO I, as the former only lightly touched upon those elements in passing, and the latter hardly made mention of them at all.

Building a world, dirt and grime and all

Kawahara and A1 do a nice job of giving GGO a great sense of scope, and they contrast it well with Alfheim. How many people will remember the sudden, almost jarring transition between the dark, serious portrayal of GGO and the cartoonish, vibrant battle in ALO with the flying flytrap? For the anime adaptation, A1 refrain from dumping too much irrelevant information on us: no mention is made that SBC Glocken is a Space Battle Cruiser, for instance. Sometimes, the setting just needs to be seen rather than talked about, and that was a good choice.

The mechanics of GGO also lend credibility to the world being built around them. Kawahara's choice of having bullet lines and anti-sniper mechanics seem plausible for a first-of-its-kind game like GGO--a compromise between the more lethal combat that guns provide and the desire for more extended battles that are popular in games. That said, Kawahara isn't above bending the principles of game design to oil the plot. I'll speak on that in a minute.

Seeking safety and solace: the problem of Sinon and Kirito

Unfortunately, while the promise of the themes to explore is good, Kawahara doesn't quite have the chops to deliver on that promise, not yet. Most of this has to do with his ineptness at dealing with Sinon. He doesn't pace her storyline well, dumping on us an extended sequence of Sinon's backstory--a sequence that A1 shares blame for in the adaptation, as they easily could've skipped it. To me, this is a beginner's writing mistake: Kawahara must've expected this backstory would help build sympathy and understanding for Sinon, but instead, dumping all of this backstory on us so quickly robs us of some tension and anticipation. This directly impacted the cave scene with Kirito and Sinon, as we were already well aware of Sinon's backstory and could not share in Kirito's surprise. This is a lesson Kawahara failed to learn for Mother's Rosario, too: you cannot merely tell people how tragic and sad a person's past is. You have to show it in how they respond to seemingly innocuous situations, how they flinch at the sight of a pistol grip or cower at the sound of a gunshot. A1, like Kawahara, had a tendency to overplay these moments when given the chance to show rather than tell, too: Sinon's attempt to pick up her model gun, to test herself, was overdramatic in depiction. The scene did not let Sinon's emotions speak for themselves. And on a more factual level, the depiction of PTSD here does not seem to jive with reality: it strains disbelief to think Sinon could handle virtual guns but not an image of a gun on television. Kawahara cheats with reality to make his theme work.

Kawahara does try to make a story that is equally about Sinon and Kirito, both dealing with the same problems, but he doesn't quite succeed in connecting the two together. Both Sinon and Kirito struggle with having killed someone, and while Sinon recognizes that Kirito is like her, while she looks to him for strength, Kirito is oblivious and doesn't look to her for strength at all. He turns to Nurse Aki, of all people--not even his own girlfriend! And while that moment with Aki is a nice saving throw for Kawahara (who had to retcon Kirito's mindset to make the connection work), the lack of connection from Kirito to Sinon is striking. If Kirito needs Sinon in Phantom Bullet, it's only for the quest to stop Death Gun. No more, no less. The friendship he offers is for Sinon's benefit alone, and offered out of the goodness of his heart, that's all. This contributes to making Kirito feel a little generic and bland, and it makes their friendship unsatisfying--or even dangerously one-sided.

When coincidences are your story's fuel, the audience can smell it from a mile away

One sign that Kawahara hasn't matured as a writer is his absurd reliance on coincidences. Kirito just so happens to run into Sinon on his first day, and he just so happens to have a randomized avatar (what game does this?) that makes him look like a girl, so that he will earn Sinon's trust more easily. This sequence is prime evidence; Kawahara takes the easy way out to incorporate Sinon into Kirito's efforts and to get her on his side, at least for a while. This is, of course, nowhere near as bad as how Kirito is saved from a lethal injection by none other than a heart monitor pad? Which A1 inexplicably decided should be the only heart monitor pad on his chest?

The camera shows what's really "important"

And that would be Sinon's butt. If there was an opportunity to work it into a shot, it was worked. Heavily. That Sinon's shorts expose have her butt to begin with was only a bonus in this respect. Such a display is totally outside her personality, and yet we're supposed to believe this is her preferred combat attire? Ridiculous.

How you please fans of action and character drama: proper pacing

SAO II pays increased attention on the characters' mental states and personal struggles, but it struggles to balance these against its action set pieces. Action is a draw for SAO, Mother's Rosario aside, and certainly Phantom Bullet promises lots of gunfights (and Jedi-versus-gun fights). Sinon's squad executing a PvP strike is a satisfying example, but in its final third, SAO II stumbles a bit, with a rather undramatic sequence as Kirito and Sinon head in pursuit of Death Gun and the ruined city they think he's hiding in. Though there is a decent chase with a mechanical horse after that, the subsequent cave scene is a step back for pacing, as it takes time to say everything and do nothing. Again, we already know about Sinon's issues, but here she has to tell Kirito about them, too. The plan they put together is full of irrelevant, context-sensitive details that are of no real consequence--that's a math or logic puzzle, not something that belongs in a story, and not something that needs to be explained. We would be better off watching Sinon and Kirito just putting that plan into action than having them figure it out on screen and explaining it. What matters is Sinon regaining the resolve to fight; instead, SAO II dithers with fine details about what Death Gun is doing and how to stop him, when Kirito and Sinon should be just going to stop him.

Finale: in which SAO refuses to do anything subtly

If nothing else, SAO is not subtle. Our master villain frothing at the mouth should say that. And yet, SAO takes that to the next level with sentimentality, too. Sinon's reunion with someone she saved--and the girl who was born because Sinon saved her--is a bold and forthright appeal to the audience for sympathy toward Sinon, a reminder that for all the suffering Sinon has endured, what she did was ultimately just. She's a Good Person and deserves Solace because of that. None of that is a problem in itself, though perhaps how it is phrased (that she should forgive herself) doesn't ring quite true. No reasonable person would consider Sinon a murderer, and while children may have taunted her that way, it seemed like this aspect of her complex (versus her phobia of guns) wasn't explored enough to justify it being crucial to her.

This lack of subtlety can be seen in Sinon's confrontation against her bullies, too. Sinon saying aloud that this is a small step overplays the scene just a hair (as the effects did when she picked up her model gun) when the overall feeling and significance of that moment had already come through loud and clear.

Overall

While I admire that Kawahara tried to do something more with Phantom Bullet, I feel his execution still leaves something to be desired. Kirito's character struggle is entirely his own, and Sinon's character plays no role in him facing down those issues. Sinon's backstory is given away too early, and it seems at odds with reality. The pacing of action scenes is uneven when the tension should be highest, and SAO tends to overstate what we should be thinking and feeling. Nevertheless, SAO wants to explore future worlds of virtual reality and their effects on society, an ambition that should be lauded despite these flaws.
maxlance

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Good bittersweet faithful close to the novel.

Now I think I'll pump up the chance to 30%+ that Asuna will indeed eventually see Yuuki again as she promises to, via a Kayaba type VR resurrection. His mention was a totally unnecessary punchline unless it's to seed a possible comeback of a deceased character. Cherry blossoms blowing into the wind after tragedy is often taken as a phoenix-like omen in Edo prose. There was also to me, something suggestive in that the last glimmer in Yuuki's eyes was of her looking perfectly normal and ethereal. Maybe a glimpse of her future VR resurrection? I think Yuuki generated enough fans for the writer and producers to consider it.

Seasons Greetings All!

Max
IcyInk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
Whew.

Man as a reader (and fan) of the source material this arc was both my most anticipated and most dreaded part of SAO. I loved Volume 7: Mother's Rosario. It was short, sweet, meaningful and exactly what I had been yearning for from a Virtual Reality show since I was a wee lad watching out-of-order and sporadic episodes of .hack//Sign on TV.

So "whew" my fears were unfounded. Phantom Bullet had rather sketchy moments, Excalibur was pretty bland, but Mother's Rosario was good, and one of the few times where I did not step away from Sword Art thinking "Damnit, this could've been so much better!".

I don't think more of SAO will get animated. Alicization (the next arc) is incredibly LOONNNGGGG. And unfinished. And rather difficult to understand. The only reason I can think of for more Sword Art animation is that the light novels still sell like hotcakes. But really Mother's Rosario is such a good place to end that it really wouldn't make sense for them to continue it. At least not until Alicization finishes (holyshitreleasefasteryenpress).
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And it's no longer just tragedy for narrative's sake, either - thanks to the final scene between Asuna and her mother last week, Yuuki's passing now actually reflects on the struggles Asuna has independently been dealing with.

Wait, so you mean if you actually give time to develop something, it might actually get developed? Maybe just immediately judging it as cheap and shallow isn't the best idea? Sarcasm aside, I didn't think you would come around to liking the arc.

IcyInk wrote:
I don't think more of SAO will get animated. Alicization (the next arc) is incredibly LOONNNGGGG. And unfinished. And rather difficult to understand. The only reason I can think of for more Sword Art animation is that the light novels still sell like hotcakes. But really Mother's Rosario is such a good place to end that it really wouldn't make sense for them to continue it. At least not until Alicization finishes (holyshitreleasefasteryenpress).

The bluray/dvds for s2 will also probably sell like hotcakes. Though, I'm in no hurry for more... That arc is way too long and drawn out, repetitive, and for the most part predictable (although I would complain about predictability if it didn't take ridiculously long for what you know is obviously going to happen to actually happen). This last one makes it look like he could get back on track, but if they ever animate the first chunk... good god those people who complained about Kirito in S1 going to come back in force.

They do have enough of Alicilization to animate though. S1 covered ~4.5 novels, S2 covered ~3.5. There is no way they could fit more of Alicilization into S3 than is already published.

I'd rather see them animate Progressive (though it doesn't really have enough material yet).

maxlance wrote:
Now I think I'll pump up the chance to 30%+ that Asuna will indeed eventually see Yuuki again as she promises to, via a Kayaba type VR resurrection. His mention was a totally unnecessary punchline unless it's to seed a possible comeback of a deceased character.

Now that it is over... There isn't even a slight chance of that. Kayaba made the thing. If he had the technology to scan some one's brain without frying it, he wouldn't have needed to fry his own brain. So the only way that is possible is if the hospital staff actually murdered Yuuki by frying her brain and she didn't actually die of her condition.

His mention was just further developing the background of the Kawahara's VR tech that he links from SAO through Accel World.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
That was very informative ultimatemegax, thank you. I'd never realised that such scheduling shenanigans went on.

Key wrote:
So that wasn't the normal "we're behind on production" excuse, eh? Interesting.

I find it unfair (and if I'm honest, a little amusing) that even though it was the staff on Mushi-shi who got behind on production, the team on Sword Art Online 2 were the ones who had to create a recap episode to make up for it.
Newbie9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
maxlance wrote:
Now I think I'll pump up the chance to 30%+ that Asuna will indeed eventually see Yuuki again as she promises to, via a Kayaba type VR resurrection. His mention was a totally unnecessary punchline unless it's to seed a possible comeback of a deceased character.

Now that it is over... There isn't even a slight chance of that.

I agree with bloggers like on Crunchy Roll that Yuuki's been given a comeback path here. I agree with them that there was no reason to bring up Kayaba at the end like that unless you were trying make a escape hatch for a future comeback. Plus all the omen signs Max mentioned were on the mark. _It was never said the machine used on Yuuki was based on fatal NerveGear tech_! One last thing, did anyone notice that Yuuki didn't frag into splinters like you always do dying in SAO and ALO? Instead she just faded away. Why so different for her? Yuuki's earned too many fans for them not to bring her back someday!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 25