• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Echidna already seemed pretty sure that Emilia would do fine in the second trial, which to me made her reaction seem kind of weird. Like, I thought that it was before mostly over having lost using Subaru to her, but it kind of seemed more personal this time, which really made me wonder what connection Echidna might actually have to Emilia or her parents. To me it seemed more than just facing it head on, like she seemed fine with Subaru doing the first trial in a similar already past it fashion, she has even come across as amoral in ways. But there really is something about Emilia she can barely stand the sight of.

Echidna did see how Emilia eventually became the Witch of Envy (Envy? Such coincidence!), so there are still some gaps and loose ends to explain the relationship between Echidna and Emilia. And there's the other thing:

ACxS wrote:
S2, 20 / 45:
Another revelation is the relation between Emilia and Echidna as they both have a witch's lineage. So, Echidna is Emilia's ancestor?

We still don't know Echidna's full story yet; it was halted when Ryuzu explained how the Sanctuary was attacked 400 years ago. Ryuzu's ending was explained, but not Echidna's, Beatrice's, or Roswaal's. Maybe when the whole story's told, we can finally see why Echidna seems to harbor particular contempt (and therefore frustration) toward Emilia. Especially when Emilia faced her ideal present with ease; is it because Echidna was reminded of her own ideal present that she wanted so badly?

But yes, gaps and loose ends.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:56 am Reply with quote
Could someone help me out with my swiss cheese brain here (ok, I know you can't fix the underlying problem)? After Frederica rescues them from Maylie's baby hippo beest, Petra says, "I mean before...and I finally got to see you again," and Frederica says, "It will be different this time...I was prepared to die last time," what are they referring to? I don't remember such a battle outside of a loop that wasn't undone by a RBD.

I could probably figure it out on a rewatch of the entire series since last July, but hopefully y'all won't make me do that right now, and can just tell me wth they're talking about. Smile
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
Petra encountered Elsa and was almost killed. Frederica jumped in and saved Petra, telling her to run while she stayed behind to keep Elsa at bay. Petra ran around feeling desperate and powerless until Subaru found her.

The subtitles kinda make it out like it happened a while ago. A while ago being like ten minutes prior. XP. I've felt like the subtitles have been a bit clunky like that throughout this season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
Oh! Ok, that makes sense now. Yes, I did think she was talking about something earlier than this round, which made it sound like they were remembering something from a loop.

Thank you!!

Speaking of Petra running around, I was worried she was going to set Beatrice up by opening all the doors herself! Guess she missed some. Wink
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:12 am Reply with quote
S2, 24 / 48:

It's no surprise that Emilia aced the final trial, and Echidna just doesn't bother showing up anymore. Echidna knew that she's completely lost since the second trial. The interesting part was when Minerva showed up and confronted Emilia. Why did she show up? I know she stands for justice, and she obviously saw that inside Emilia who's developed so much. But is that all there is? I feel that there's more to their talk...

- Is it because she finally saw that Emilia won't end up being Satella, the witch that other witches feared?
- Or, is it because she's actually related to Emilia? Minerva's talk with Emilia seems almost half-confessional. I can't help but feel that maybe... Minerva is Emilia's mother all along. If she was, I just have to wonder what's her story.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote
Is Minerva Emilia's mother? Minerva pretty much said that Emilia is like her mother, but the wording was a little koi in whether said mother is someone else, and there kind of seemed like a mix of emotions when Minerva hugged Emilia, a share in sorrow or maybe even pride. We know that Emilia's mother was a human, did not have silver hair, and apparently had "kind eyes". Minerva tries to put on a tough act, but her eyes totally give away her nicer intentions.

I mean, if you were to pick a witch that was most like Emilia, I think Minerva seems like a close choice, both come across as stubborn idealists.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
S2, 25 / 49:

Just one more episode left in this season, and it's evident that this show is wrapping up.

Nothing that revelatory in this episode, except that we see a bit more about Beatrice and their library imprisonment. In sum, Ryuzu, Roswaal and Beatrice were ordered to carry on her legacy and protect the Sanctuary from foreign invaders (such as Hector). Echidna mentioned Authority, which I'm perplexed: who or what's that? Was it ever mentioned before? Like I said before, Echidna's story (or the full story from her perspective) was never fully explored but I think this is saved for later arcs. Most likely it has something to do with the other Witches, or maybe even bigger: Witches versus another guard of devils such as Hector.

It's interesting to see how Re:Zero Season 2 is basically split into two parts. First part: how Subaru screwed everything up. Second part: how he finally got it right. Kinda like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni S1 and S2.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:05 am Reply with quote
Echidna did make it sound like her decision to have Beatrice a blank book and continue to wait was mostly for the giggles of seeing how long she would continue to do so. But Echidna's last words were apparently that she hoped that Beatrice would grow up healthy, as Echidna seemed to understand that she was going to her death. The first half of the season kind of ended in seeing was like an emotionless psychopath, and the last few episodes we have seen that Echidna can be very emotionally affected by some part of Emilia's character, and maybe did care a bit about her sort of daughter. Knowing that she would probably follow her to death.

Very much an "oh shit" moment when the Great Rabbit showed up, the snow alone were the hints that it might show up soon. How is Subaru going to kill it?
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
12, final:

8/10 (yes, I'm being generous this time).

The score above is based on my assessment for both parts 1 and 2 of the second season together.

To be honest, part 2 of this season isn't as gripping as part 1. Part 1 was about exposition of The Sanctuary, the lore of the Witches, and Subaru's whole new nightmare of completing the impossible mission of saving The Sanctuary and virtually everyone (his most difficult mission yet). It's obviously the more revelatory of the two parts, and part 2 is where Subaru gets everything right and shows how he does it.

As per Re:Zero's first season, I've always liked how the story consistently tries to tear Subaru down (almost to the point of masochism), and how he prevails eventually through sheer grit and building trust with the people around him. The crux has always been about Subaru earning his way to becoming the hero of the show (and earning it the hard way), and I've always admired his character even if he's a bit full of himself time to time. I've always enjoyed and respected that part of the title even to this day.

There are still so much to this story that is yet to be explored, so we're definitely seeing more arcs in the future. I'm looking forward to them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:04 am Reply with quote
It was a super lovely ending, that I was kind of afraid that there would be a "Who is Rem" moment like how the first season ended and started the second. Rem still feels like a big whole that is still missing, which was helped a bit by seeing Ram with her sister's body showing the children.

I do think that you are always going to run into questions over the idea of forgiving a villain who has done some truly horrible thing, and may be in a path of redemption in joining the heroes. But I kind of just outright loved how things were with Roswaal in this episode, first giving everyone a free hit on him, like how Beatrice did when she found out her friend was there the entire time. Not everyone forgave Roswaal Garfiel and Petra notably as the youngest were especially strong in letting it known they were not letting their dislike go, and I think that is valid, that forgiveness is not something that someone is owed just for apologising. Added onto the note that I loved that Emilia's point as the important thing needed was for Roswaal to actually say that he was sorry.

I do at this point hold affection to the idea of the Emilia faction: Emilia, Subaru, Rem, Roswaal, Beatrice, Petra, Garfiel, Ram (when they get her back), Frederica. and Otto. Roswaal is not instantly forgiven, but he is probably understood, with hopefully Ram keeping him in check. The party at the end was, great to see them all enjoying themselves, and small parts like Frederica stopping Garfiel from drinking alcohol, which just kind of seems right.

For rating the season, the thing is that I never actually gave the second season a rating, I think because the it was kind of like just half a season, with episodes 39 to 50 being as much a just part 3, as some places just say a third season. The first half of season 2 was a whole lot of suffering as we got pieces of information, and became familiar with the Witches. The second half gave us a whole lot of character growth, adding a lot to characters like Garfiel, Otto and finally Emilia at making her indeed feel like a worthwhile heroine. In my mind I am trying to separate the two out, but although the first half gave us some great stuff, I think its lack of a conclusion hurt it a bit, especially looking at just itself. The second half required being built on parts of the first half, and I kind of think it felt like it dragged in places, really using the 29 minutes with no OP to feel like it was kind of dawdling from getting to the point, although the extra time given gives me pause, and I do think the conclusion felt fulfilling.

Season 2 (2 Part 1) rating is: Good (7/10) worth seeing.
Season 3 (2 part 2) rating is: Very good (8/10), don't miss it.
And if I would have ranked the two of them together, I probably would have pushed it up again to an Excellent, where although it felt a bit long in places, exposition could be long, and there was times where I was waiting for the things I wanted to happen, as whole they are a great continuation to the first season, and I feel satisfied now.

I do like how I could not see how I could like Garfiel, but I really like him now. That Emilia grew out of her box and became actually more likable than mostly a pretty face. That we see our previous enemy of Petelgeuse as a tragic figure. That Ram can be more than whatever her master orders her to do. That someone like Echidna, that we had just seen can be a complete monster could have people close to her as family. But also, seeing all the witches were also great concepts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:14 am Reply with quote
I've ranked the three seasons so far (in order): Good, Decent, Good. For me, this is a good title that is flawed in a number of ways. I guess my number one complaint is the overlong, repetitive dialogue stretches. No character seems content to express an opinion just once. If Subaru wants to tell Emilia-tan he digs her, he's gonna convey that 20 million times in the same dialogue scene. Drives me nuts.

I don't like the way story strands get started and then just drop of the face of the earth. Or start, then get interrupted by numerous flashbacks. It's just not a structure that works for me. No doubt there will be more seasons and no doubt I will watch them. I'm relieved Roswaal's mansion burned down because theoretically that means we never have to go through another loop that involves an attack upon it. I wonder if the next helping will actually return attention to the royal selection?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 24 of 24