• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
It's an interesting way to think about it, but I've heard it said that Gainax deconstructed the entire mecha genre with Evangelion(resulting in a wave of dark brooding mecha anime), then 10 years later Gainax reconstructed the mecha genre with TTGL(hopefully resulting in a wave of cheerful hot-blooded mecha anime).

*ahem*

That looks like Voltron-era vintage stuff. If it came before EVA, how can it reconstruct the genre that EVA deconstructed?

Like zhir said, Evangelion 95-96, GaoGaiGar 97-98 with OVA's carrying it into the 21st century. Citations here and here.

Actually, though, it goes deeper. GaoGaiGar is an explicit response to Evangelion.

What happened was this: 1995, Evangelion showed up and knocked pretty much the entire anime community on it's collective rear end. For awhile thereafter, everyone was trying to make lightning strike twice, and the result was some of the darkest, moodiest, angstiest, nihilistic and faux-philosophical animation ever committed to celluloid, and the mecha genre bore the brunt of it. GaoGaiGar appeared at the peak of that movement- which is to say, just as it was starting to decline- and the major idea behind the project was that mecha anime had become altogether too depressing and self-important. You mentioned it looks like 80's stuff, and you're not wrong. It's very intentional- GaoGaiGar was trying to revive the old-school- the bombast, the adventure, the simplistic plots and ridiculous fights- the fun, in short. It was a return, after nearly two years of navel-gazing, to the days when giant robots were willfully ludicrous, silly, and entertaining. Make no mistake, if EVA is the deconstruction, GaoGaiGar is most definitely the reconstruction.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Royal Devil wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
I hope they make a Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann at some point.

Already have. And Enkidu, Lazengann, and Yoko

Don't forget Kamina. Though I want them to make Ark and Super Galactic, those were my two favorite forms.

Kamina? Not yet they haven't. To date we've got:
-Gurren Lagann [5/15/08]
-Lazengann [6/15/08]
-Gurren Lagann (Wonderfest metallic repaint) [8/3/08]
-Gurren Lagann Fully Drillized [8/15/08]
-Enki [9/15/08]
-Fraulein Yoko [10/1/08]
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann [10/15/08]
-Enkidu [11/15/08]
-Enkidudu [12/15/08]
-Fraulein Anti-Spiral Nia [TBA]

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/LL8wb2rFo8m6DcAXE1/browse/item/80719/4/0/0
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
But that's not a Revoltech, it's just one of many GL PVC statues out there (though, granted, they're almost all of Yoko). I'd love to see a Kamina Revo figure, but it's not likely.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
But that's not a Revoltech, it's just one of many GL PVC statues out there (though, granted, they're almost all of Yoko). I'd love to see a Kamina Revo figure, but it's not likely.

Emerje

Sorry, all you said was "they", so I assumed you meant Japan in general.

And where the heck is Simon?!
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Like zhir said, Evangelion 95-96, GaoGaiGar 97-98 with OVA's carrying it into the 21st century. Citations here and here.

Actually, though, it goes deeper. GaoGaiGar is an explicit response to Evangelion.

What happened was this: 1995, Evangelion showed up and knocked pretty much the entire anime community on it's collective rear end. For awhile thereafter, everyone was trying to make lightning strike twice, and the result was some of the darkest, moodiest, angstiest, nihilistic and faux-philosophical animation ever committed to celluloid, and the mecha genre bore the brunt of it. GaoGaiGar appeared at the peak of that movement- which is to say, just as it was starting to decline- and the major idea behind the project was that mecha anime had become altogether too depressing and self-important. You mentioned it looks like 80's stuff, and you're not wrong. It's very intentional- GaoGaiGar was trying to revive the old-school- the bombast, the adventure, the simplistic plots and ridiculous fights- the fun, in short. It was a return, after nearly two years of navel-gazing, to the days when giant robots were willfully ludicrous, silly, and entertaining. Make no mistake, if EVA is the deconstruction, GaoGaiGar is most definitely the reconstruction.

Well okay, that was informative. But this being a TTGL topic and all, can't we agree that TTGL tried to reconstruct it again, 10 years after GaoGaiGar?

And I'm gonna guess that the term GAR didn't come from GaoGaiGar, did it? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Sorry, all you said was "they", so I assumed you meant Japan in general.

Oh, no, I was refering to Ohoni's original post which was in reference to Revoltech.

Quote:
And where the heck is Simon?!

There's a few options. There's the Lagann Impact Model which has Simon in it (and might be in scale with that Kamina Statue, not sure), there's the Konami Figure Collection trading figure, and there's the SD Figumate figures (young and old versions)

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RogueJedi86"]
BellosTheMighty wrote:
And I'm gonna guess that the term GAR didn't come from GaoGaiGar, did it? Razz

Fate/Stay Night, actually.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
There's a few options. There's the Lagann Impact Model which has Simon in it (and might be in scale with that Kamina Statue, not sure), there's the Konami Figure Collection trading figure, and there's the SD Figumate figures (young and old versions)

Oh wow, I never noticed the Figumate on Amazon. Not bad, but I want one big enough so that I can take the toy drill that came with the Part 1 LE DVD, and put it around his neck with a string, since it'd be cool-looking. Also, does anyone know how big the Boota plush is? (on Rightstuf, but no picture). It'd be cool if I could attach him somehow on Simon's shoulder. After all, Simon should always have his drill and Boota, it's only right! (can't find the first two you mentioned on Amazon or Rightstuf, seen them anywhere else?)

Oh, BTW, while I was watching the DVDs, I noticed the "future" scene in episode 1 seemed to show spoiler[what looked like evolved Boota in the background near Simon. I know Gainax said they decided to change the scene later on, but I was surprised they let such a major continuity error stay in. No big deal, just surprising.]

Oh, and looks like Bandai messed up AGAIN *sigh*. Sad The first disc freezes up on episodes 4 and 5, only my sister's DVD player (Magnavox) plays it with no problems. Guess I'll be re-buying the series when the "Anime Legends" set comes out, because hopefully by then Bandai will FINALLY have their act in gear.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Already have. And Enkidu, Lazengann, and Yoko

Oh, sweet! I hadn't seen those yet! The TTGL is definitely going on my x-mas list.
demonroach

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
I have no clue wtf most of you are talking about. I just finished this series, and I was extremely disappointed at how crappy the storyline was. I really felt they just wanted to kill some characters off just to make it seem like something is moving. I think anyone needing something to watch for a few days this is ok, but there is absolutely nothing rememberable about it.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
demonroach wrote:
I have no clue wtf most of you are talking about. I just finished this series, and I was extremely disappointed at how crappy the storyline was. I really felt they just wanted to kill some characters off just to make it seem like something is moving. I think anyone needing something to watch for a few days this is ok, but there is absolutely nothing rememberable about it.

It all depends on your perspective. One could easily say Evangelion had no real storyline either. Just a few alien fights then the end of the world. Most of us in this topic just appreciated TTGL for what it did. It blended the fast-paced action of FLCL with the giant robot angle of many previous anime with a bit of romance thrown in on the side, with great music to boot. It's now my favorite anime, right above Eureka seveN and FLCL. It all depends on your perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 24 of 24