• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sunday Without God (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
None of that addressed my core issue. That of spoiler[Dee somehow forgetting that it was Alice who died that triggered the wish and not her]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
None of that addressed my core issue. That of spoiler[Dee somehow forgetting that it was Alice who died that triggered the wish and not her]

That was a comparatively irrelevant point in the context to what the goal of the characters were, spoiler[Dee wanted to keep the "gilded cage world" up indefinitely, the only reason why "Dee forgot" is actually intentional misinformation given to Ai who is acting as the point of view for the audience, it is easy to misinform someone who is an outsider to the situation, and this is part of the reason why there have been so many failed attempts to end the false world is that those that came in before were trying to "solve the wrong puzzle".
It is made very apparent to the audience that Dee wants to keep up the false world, so feigning ignorance is just part of the efforts.]
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
As I recall, spoiler[the news article specifically stated a girl had died]. It really isn't too hard to believe that spoiler[Dee simply assumed it was her because she remembered falling out the window and happened to be a ghost in the outside world - Alice probably read on and saw his name considering what he says to Ai, but Dee clearly never did].

@FenixFiesta: Actually, your solution fails because spoiler[Dee clearly thought she was dead up until she actually tried to jump].
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll's subs did not specifically state that a girl had died.

"At Ostia School for Boys and Girls, one student died and seventeen went missing." You can check at around 11:40 and 13:00 on episode 11 yourself if ya want to double check.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't actually change anything - just from seeing the headline spoiler[Dee almost certainly didn't take very long to conclude it was her - what with being a ghost and probably having her memory of falling reawakened - and given that Alice had the paper, she very likely didn't bother to read it - thus producing her misunderstanding that lasts until she tries to jump].

EDIT: Just rewatched and you are correct - even the original spoiler[French goes with a word("élève") that doesn't indicate sex on its own and rest of the headline doesn't fill in the blank - but that just simplifies the sloppy reporting out of my theory].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I liked the spoiler[twist that it was actually Alis who was dead all along.]

I give this series a Good rating. It definitely was gorgeous to look at and Ai was adorable. I liked virtually all the characters we met (Alis left me cold and I didn't like Ai's Pops for much of his arc).

I'm sure I'll pick this one up at some point.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so gravekeepers can spoiler[revive people by diging them back up?]or is it just Ai that can do that?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
To try to clarify my point, spoiler[It was irrelevant who is or isn't truly dead, it is the intention of actions that is much more relevant to the situation as undoubtedly Dee's efforts to keep the false world around because she feared losing Alis one way or another.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Wait, so gravekeepers can spoiler[revive people by diging them back up?]or is it just Ai that can do that?

More like spoiler[she can pull them out of a collapsing imaginary space through force of will]
but certainly there isn't enough information to declare undoubtedly HOW spoiler[we got to that closing scene]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I was going to guess "magic."
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I was going to guess "magic."

If that is truly the case, then the last arc WAS Umineko.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
More like spoiler[she can pull them out of a collapsing imaginary space through force of will]
but certainly there isn't enough information to declare undoubtedly HOW spoiler[we got to that closing scene]
According to what I read on MAL, the LN explains it thusly: spoiler[Ai wished him back alive, unlike those silly classmates of his].
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
According to what I read on MAL, the LN explains it thusly: spoiler[Ai wished him back alive, unlike those silly classmates of his].

spoiler[If it was a wish, then it would go against what Alis had wanted, if it was simply Ai using an untold power that doesn't have to due with the power what we the audience know of wish granting in this world that would obey what Alis had asked of Ai in that "if you want something, you make it happen not use a wish to grant it" (or however that line goes)]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

Indeed that was how I took it. Honestly I knew spoiler[he would be saved because he's on the covers of the later volumes that are further into the story than the show has gone. Anime hyper]

Quote:
If it was a wish, then it would go against what Alis had wanted

I don't think Ai cared that much...this kid will not take "no" for an answer. Anime hyper

Confusing last episode somewhat...but amazing anime series was still A-MA-Z-ING! Definitely buying this one....and buying all the novels too. I know they go into a deeper explanation.

Oh yes, second season PLEASE.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
Finally caught up and just watched the last episode. I have to say, they really managed to pull me back in emotionally, and big time. After the weird tone shift in the "school for the gifted arc" (that served little other purpose than introducing Alice), I wasn't all that motivated to continue anytime soon. Glad I did, though. First of all, this was a truly intriguing world in my eyes. Like Children of Men set in a Neil Gaiman sort of universe. The constant overexposure and color palette contributed perfectly to the end of days vibe. I also really liked the feel of the soundtrack, always breathing melancholy into every scene. There were some narrative weaknesses, no question about it, but I really would love to see more of this world. The philosophical themes and questions explored were quite interesting and touching at times. I also loved how the characters, while being lost in a lost world, managed to find new hope and a will to continue living by holding on to one another despite all the loss and tragedy they've had to suffer through. The overly cute protagonist also worked surprisingly well for me, as her innocence and courage was what spread the hope and set tragic characters like Julie free. That's why I also think the ending was quite fitting, it would have been sad to depart with this show anywhere else than on a hopeful note. I will rate this anime very good. The world alone would be deserving of at least an excellent for me, but the inconsistencies in narration quality do exist and I find it hard to ignore them. I will definitely check out the source material now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 26