• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
I thinkspoiler[ Goto's gf ran off with the bus driver because she realized] he's basically gay. Now, Flamenco Girl, with her awesomeness spoiler[will convert him to Team Straight.] Yay!
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I thinkspoiler[ Goto's gf ran off with the bus driver because she realized] he's basically gay. Now, Flamenco Girl, with her awesomeness spoiler[will convert him to Team Straight.] Yay!

While i can agree with your first statement, spoiler[ i'd prefer Masayoshi's manager to convert him (if he really needs to be converted which is highly debatable...): she's obviously in dire need of getting married and Goto is obviously husband material (once he stops being crazy). Wink]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Hey, I could get behind that ship, too. They are both fine, fiery gals and either one would spoiler[make an excellent, dominant waifu to order Goto around.] Wink
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Since Goto's spoiler[text messages with his girlfriend were from himself] does that mean my speculation spoiler[of the manager, Ishihara, possibly being his girlfriend ] has some validity again? Maybe I'm just shipping too hard. Assuming Goto and his girlfriend were both the same age when they were dating, that would spoiler[mean the girlfriend has been missing for 7 years since Goto is 24 years old. Ishihara is 28, so that would mean she isn't the girlfriend.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

So his new enemy, Haiji, is like the Joker, someone who spoiler[became a super villain just to get at] his batman, spoiler[claiming that it makes them closer than anyone else]. But Haiji spoiler[is dead, there is no connections] between the crimes that have apparentlyspoiler[ happened in ways impossible for one person], a villain of spoiler[his mind created on circumstances].

I wonder where this will be taken, it might just address the last thread of Goto's girlfriend. Goto be crazy.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
What delights me about this show is that it's impossible to predict how things will end. Everything's possible, especially after recent events showed that both of our main characters seem to have a spoiler[reality disconnection problem]. Not that this wasn't obvious before in Masayoshi's case, but thespoiler[ dead enemy only he can see] takes it to a new level. Things have been spiraling out of control in a way that would make an "spoiler[everything has been in your mind all along]" ending feel like a real disappointment. But where can we go from here, after spoiler[chatting with the universe on a river bank and chasing ghosts]? Also, Goto's and Masayoshi's spoiler[fight] was so sad to watch. Once again, and more than before, Masayoshi has spoiler[lost everything, even his action figurines - and his knight].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
There was a weird bit in the hotel when Masayoshi was on the phone with Haiji, and we see Masa's reflection in the window. Haiji says "Of course you reject me," and the reflection turns to face the camera full on, but Masayoshi doesn't turn his head. I wonder if this means something or was just an oversight during the animation?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
There was a weird bit in the hotel when Masayoshi was on the phone with Haiji, and we see Masa's reflection in the window. Haiji says "Of course you reject me," and the reflection turns to face the camera full on, but Masayoshi doesn't turn his head. I wonder if this means something or was just an oversight during the animation?

Yeah, it seems possible that is representative of some weird twist that's yet to come but equally plausible that it was also just another of the weird drops in animation quality that pervade this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
@ Gina Szanboti - good catch, I didn't notice that, myself. Personally, I think it is deliberate, as opposed to an animation oversight. It could represent the idea that Masayoshi's psyche has split in two parts that are at war with each other; that he has split into ying and yang. Mind you, Haiji did say spoiler[that he had said "Flamenco" over and over again the night he first encountered Masayoshi and we know from, uh, The Universe, that there is a certain percentage change that saying the word Flamenco will grant the utterer his or her wish. Maybe that's how "Haiji" got the ability to do these seemingly magical things.]

Or it could be something completely different. With this show, who the hell knows?
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
I think Haiji spoiler[is an illusion]theory would thematically make sense.It would also be a nice closure spoiler[to have Masayoshi realize that he doesn't need to be a superhero to have a super fun life.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, for the spoiler[illusion theory], technically, there's no way Masayoshi could have learned Haiji's name, but that's the kind of logic I wouldn't put much weight on for this show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
@Blood- I think it was intentional too, though it's hard to say what it means yet. Maybe an indication that the dimensions are starting to overlap. It just kinda leapt out at me, like the reverse of that fake Japanese ghost video where the little girl turns away from the mirror, but her reflection doesn't. Someone with better tools than I should make a gif of it, it's creepy. Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
@ Gina Szanboti Just rewound through the episode, and I caught it. Thanks for pointing it out!

So, we know from last ep that Goto has a major break from reality. This ep implies that Masayoshi has one too, and the inability to accept the others' fantasy breaks up our best friends (which was a sad scene to watch). When this show wants to amp up the character drama and become engaging it does so very effectively. It's just too bad that such a big portion of the show is devoted to power ranger nuttiness, otherwise I might recommend it to friends. But I'm still excited about where it will go from here (and not too sure I won't be completely disappointed again)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
I also forgot to add a point that I don't think has been brought up, and that is Haiji apparently spoiler[kept repeating "Flamenco", which we learned earlier apparently has a small chance to grant a wish]. It is possible that everything that is happening now is the result of spoiler[Haiji's wish to be Flamenco's nemesis].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I also forgot to add a point that I don't think has been brought up, and that is Haiji apparently spoiler[kept repeating "Flamenco", which we learned earlier apparently has a small chance to grant a wish]. It is possible that everything that is happening now is the result of spoiler[Haiji's wish to be Flamenco's nemesis].

I pointed out the same thing in my post above, Mr. Day Late and a Dollar Short. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 28