• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai: Do Not Fansub Ghost in the Shell Film

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentios

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
....wait, it's not a recent performance, is it?

Not that I know of... :/

Quote:
FCC only regulates Tv and radio Broadcasting not DvD's or CD's.
There is an org. can't remember the name that does try to impose edited lyrics for cd's but as far as I know not DVD's just thought I would point that out Wink

I have no idea what they regulate anymore so it's easiest to say they just regulate all media. Even if they don't yet I'm sure there's another organization that does or they are trying to get that level of power. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Quote:
It's been something of a contentious year for fans and Bandai Entertainment with certain sticking points coming up, between choices pushed down on them from Japan to problematic discs. While they are being reactive and proactive on their disc problems now, a new wrinkle has hit in that it has been confirmed by representatives from Bandai Entertainment that there will not be a replacement program for those who bought the Zeta Gundam box set.

Replacement program? For? Well, when Bandai Entertainment put out the double disc sets earlier this year after the full box set had come out, they had put together a more accurate and faithful subtitle track for the Japanese language track. This cleaned up a lot of the problems in the translation which while not 100% dubtitled was fairly close in a lot of scenes. The decision has been made however to not provide replacements for those that have the original box set with the inaccurate subtitles.

That's sure to earn the fans' trust Rolling Eyes At least fansubbers will release a v2 if their releases have serious problems.

There has to be an easier ways to sink your company then repeatedly raping those who buy things from you. :/
Daysting

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Reguardless of what the fansub community does to the anime fandom. It is copyright infringment to distribute an intelestual proporty without written concent from the people who hold the license. Therefore, through legal action, Bandai Entertainmen, Inc and Manga Entertainment can file suit for up to and including $250,000 in puenitive damages.

Ergo, if you dont like how they dubb or sub a title, go and work for them.

I may not like that, but I do support the copyright law.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Daysting wrote:
Ergo, if you don't like how they dubb or sub a title, go and work for them.

Yeah I can see that working well.

New employee "I'm gonna make sure this is the best release ever!"
Boss "Ehh, we're not gonna do that."
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Daysting wrote:
Therefore, through legal action, Bandai Entertainmen, Inc and Manga Entertainment can file suit for up to and including $250,000 in puenitive damages.

DANG!

Isn't that like... non-taxable income or something?!

DANG! You can get a lot of stuff with that kind of money... like... half a house or something.
Sentios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Daysting wrote:
Reguardless of what the fansub community does to the anime fandom. It is copyright infringment to distribute an intelestual proporty without written concent from the people who hold the license. Therefore, through legal action, Bandai Entertainmen, Inc and Manga Entertainment can file suit for up to and including $250,000 in puenitive damages.

Ergo, if you don't like how they dubb or sub a title, go and work for them.

I may not like that, but I do support the copyright law.

Of course the problem with that course of action is that threatening the people who keep your company afloat is not good. Try it sometime, go set up 2 lemonade stands with your neighbor and then hit every customer who gets their lemonade from him with a wooden plank.

People don't really care that they were in the wrong when a million dollar company sues them for 1785 times the cost of whatever they watched.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
Sentios wrote:

Of course the problem with that course of action is that threatening the people who keep your company afloat is not good. Try it sometime, go set up 2 lemonade stands with your neighbor and then hit every customer who gets their lemonade from him with a wooden plank.

People don't really care that they were in the wrong when a million dollar company sues them for 1785 times the cost of whatever they watched.
I bet you didn't think about what you just wrote there did you? Try this; Go to your neighbours lemonade stand and steal his jug of lemonade, then add some extra ingredience of your own to make it look like yours, then set up your own stand and just give it away to his potential customers. So who just sank his business then? And how can threating you with court action going to harm him if he will get you to stop stealing his jug of lemonade? Are you going to counter sue him for suing you? Oh I got it, you will not buy his lemonade, that will really show him. Oh yeah that'll work! (not) That is what the act of fansubbing is all about mate. They're the bloody pirates, not the saving navy.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Sentios wrote:

Yeah, Mowhawk said it best. In order for this metaphor to work, you'd have to actually make your own lemonade rather than stealing the other guy's lemonade and giving it away for free.

It scares me that people think it's the same as making the anime themselves. I wonder if that's why they feel entitled to giving it away for free.
ragz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
actually it's more like

A makes lemonade in the summer but won't sell them til winter
B steals A's lemonade, add some sugar and give to passengers for free

it doesn't make B right, but people don't want wait half year for lemonade, or DVD for that matter

bandai is just acting way too arrogant for throwing out blanket threat while doesn't do anything constructive

in the meantime i've decided to not buy bandai's DVD but buy nihongo ver from Production I.G
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Right but this is a one shot deal, it is a movie, not like you can really sample it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tissuebubble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sentios wrote:

I bet you didn't think about what you just wrote there did you? Try this; Go to your neighbours lemonade stand and steal his jug of lemonade, then add some extra ingredience of your own to make it look like yours, then set up your own stand and just give it away to his potential customers. So who just sank his business then? And how can threating you with court action going to harm him if he will get you to stop stealing his jug of lemonade? Are you going to counter sue him for suing you? Oh I got it, you will not buy his lemonade, that will really show him. Oh yeah that'll work! (not) That is what the act of fansubbing is all about mate. They're the bloody pirates, not the saving navy.

I think it is more like the following situation:
A national lemonade company comes to the town and buys the only lemonade licence. They start selling the lemonade to the denizens of the town. Somehow someone steals the knowledge of how to make the lemonade and now a kid on the street starts to give it away for free. This is obviously going to hurt the national lemonade company and they sue the kid. Don't you think that many people will support the poor kid, even those who bought the legal lemonade? I do.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
tissuebubble wrote:

I think it is more like the following situation:
A national lemonade company comes to the town and buys the only lemonade licence. They start selling the lemonade to the denizens of the town. Somehow someone steals the knowledge of how to make the lemonade and now a kid on the street starts to give it away for free. This is obviously going to hurt the national lemonade company and they sue the kid. Don't you think that many people will support the poor kid, even those who bought the legal lemonade? I do.

This would work if the fansubbers were actually writing, animating and producing a verison of Ghost in the Shell that wasn't quite the same as Bandai's version, but it's the same recipe.

It's stealing. Theft. They are stealing the "lemonade" and giving it away for free before they have a chance to sell it here.

That's what the situation is. It is opportunism, and theft. And that's all there is to it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
ragz wrote:

in the meantime i've decided to not buy bandai's DVD but buy nihongo ver from Production I.G

Pinku Baka kawaii nee bento boxu animu~~~~~~-.-;
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
Just because it's semi-relevant to the thread...

I randomly happened upon this thread from 2003 in a search, and it's a rather fascinating read with some of ANN's big names engaged in pitched battle with the fansubbing world. Also of interest is this quote, though I can't link the forum it's from:
Quote:
I was reading through the post in Anime News Network's forums and found that the majority of posters there were strongly convinced of one thing: fansubs are irrelevant*.

The main argument for this is that there are lots of anime licensing companies in America now, thus meaning that most shows are going to be licensed anyway. Therefore, why bother? Fansubbing's goal of promoting awareness of anime has been acheived so all fansubbers should pack up and retire.

Another view often bandied about in those forums is that the current crop of fansubbers are egomaniacal fame bandits bent on making a name for themselves by subbing the most popular show in the least possible time. Every feature of fansubs nowadays, from karaoke effects to the presence of logos and even group names/credits in the AVIs, are proof-positive of this, according to this viewpoint.

In short, there is a question of whether there should or should not be any more fansubs floating about not just in ANN, but sometimes here as well, as seen in threads like the Hacking and Su-Yu threads.

Footnotes:
* Actually, the ANN forumers are more of the opinion that digital fansubs specifically are evil and irrelevant, but this is because they're mostly old-time VHS fansubbers who are, in my opinion, largely bitter that the whole "To get a fansub you must find a well-connected otaku and bow to him" system of their time has been replaced and that digital fansubbing has made many of them irrelevant. Nevertheless, they try to be consistent and therefore declared fansubs to be similarly irrelevant for the reasons mention in the main text.
Sentios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Now see here's where your assumption goes off course, I never said steal lemonade from the neighbor. In truth to get free lemonade all you have to do is steal lemons from a store. If you get lemons for free you can sell lemonade for free and still break even; however if you buy lemons and sell lemonade it's possible to be in the red. Of course the only reasons you won't sell enough lemonade to make up the cost of lemons is if your lemonade tastes terrible, you beat people who got the free lemonade from your neighbor and there by scared your customers off, you tried to sell lemonade at midnight in December*.

*If someone wants lemonade bad enough they can always buy some straight from the store instead of waiting for you to open on a frigid winter night, even if the guy selling lemonade for free isn't there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:51 am Reply with quote
Sentios wrote:

Now see here's where your assumption goes off course, I never said steal lemonade from the neighbor. In truth to get free lemonade all you have to do is steal lemons from a store.
After this statement everything else you wrote was total bollox. Can you see why? Wink
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 29