• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
snip

Damn, what did you guys get into after I went to bed last night? Shocked

(And please note that this is a purely rhetorical question.)

Anyway, whatever happened, I don't think you have anything to apologize for, Izanagi009. You brought up a valid, neutral observation and people apparently ran with it so hard that it got out of hand. That Zac didn't remove that post, too, suggests that he didn't see it as part of the problem, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, don't worry about it.

Let's just get through the rest of this show's run without another explosion and we'll all be better off for it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Salia has turned into Shinn Asuka, Tusk is Jesus (he and Vivi are the one watchable part of this train explosion), Embryo/God is a rapist Rau Le Creuset and so on. Cross (self) Plagiarism...

If you're going to hate the show, go ahead. I mean in a way the show has been baiting people from the start with the whole 'we're not actually going to rape anyone' in episode 1 followed by the 'well, maybe we will have some one start raping some one' in episode 2. I can even see a point against some reused visuals (not counting the ones obviously intended to be fan service like Freedom's rifle being in the background).

However, those character comparisons are all ludicrous. Salia desperately wanted to be needed by some one, and everything she does is to fill that need. Shin was controlled by his grief and his anger. Tusk is essentially a gender swapped version of the 'there for emotional support but isn't really going to fight girlfriend' character. All of Embryo's actions are done to create the perfect human existence. All of Crueset's actions are done to watch everyone die.

If Embyro is anyone from SEED/Destiny, it is clearly Dullindel. Both were scientists that discovered a way to make the 'perfect' humanity, both are the masterminds behind pretty much everything, and both in their pursuit of the 'perfect' humanity pretty much lost their own.

Its like you didn't even watch either of these shows.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Memo to Hilda: If you want to get in tight with Ange it might not be the best idea to start hitting on her man.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Memo to Hilda: If you want to get in tight with Ange it might not be the best idea to start hitting on her man.

I think her plan is to have him sleep with her so that he won't sleep with and steal Ange. So she can show that he just lustful.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Theron being fair with this. The show definitely has its share of problems and I fully understand why it makes some people uncomfortable, but I feel some of the detractors really overreact.

Hoping Tusk dies next episode.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
I'm happy to see Theron being fair with this. The show definitely has its share of problems and I fully understand why it makes some people uncomfortable, but I feel some of the detractors really overreact.

Overreacting doesn't even come close to describe what happened.
As Joshua used to say "the best outcome is not to play". Ignore them completely.

Quote:

Hoping Tusk dies next episode.

Tusk is a cool man. He doesn't deserve this. I'd say one of minor characters of team Embryo is going to die. Maybe even Ersha.
But Tusk ? Ha !, he's going to open Ange's Cafe' and entertain Hilda ever other day. Laughing
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Tusk is a cool man. He doesn't deserve this. I'd say one of minor characters of team Embryo is going to die. Maybe even Ersha.
But Tusk ? Ha !, he's going to open Ange's Cafe' and entertain Hilda ever other day. Laughing

Tusk is worthless and only exists so Ange can have a male love interest. I don't expect him to die, but I want him to.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Tusk is worthless and only exists so Ange can have a male love interest. I don't expect him to die, but I want him to.

What is it with this internet-centric fetish for hating the male lead character? No matter who they are or what they do or what they look like there is always someone popping up hating them.

In the story Tusk saved Ange's life three possibly more times. He has been a friend and protector for Vivian.

In the story he plays a critical role in the insurgency.

Yes he is a love interest and his character worked for it and although the romance is a bit weakened by the fact that he is the only eligible male in Ange's experience she could obviously do worse.

He is fit and good looking and has skills. He is an effective fighter in a pinch in spite of having no super-powers.

He is not overly shy and awkward. The comedic pratfalls and situations he finds himself in result in him getting more face-sitting and hand jobs than a major metro division of craigslist but so what?

I'm rooting for Tusk not only with Ange but with Hilda and as much of Embryo's harem as he wants, which is probably none of it.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

What is it with this internet-centric fetish for hating the male lead character? No matter who they are or what they do or what they look like there is always someone popping up hating them.

In the story Tusk saved Ange's life three possibly more times. He has been a friend and protector for Vivian.

In the story he plays a critical role in the insurgency.

Yes he is a love interest and his character worked for it and although the romance is a bit weakened by the fact that he is the only eligible male in Ange's experience she could obviously do worse.

He is fit and good looking and has skills. He is an effective fighter in a pinch in spite of having no super-powers.

He is not overly shy and awkward. The comedic pratfalls and situations he finds himself in result in him getting more face-sitting and hand jobs than a major metro division of craigslist but so what?

I'm rooting for Tusk not only with Ange but with Hilda and as much of Embryo's harem as he wants, which is probably none of it.

These kinds of anime aren't very good at writing male characters (or any, to be fair, but the men tend to get the shorter end of the stick).

Tusk hasn't had any need to exist as of yet. All we know is that is the "Knight of the Villkiss," but what does that mean? Where did he come from? Why is this important to him? What's his end goal (or at least, what was his original end goal before it became "marry Ange"?)?

The romance isn't just "weak," it's the worst romance I've seen since Sword Art Online. All the "development" was him landing his face in her crotch, and even after they're supposedly a couple (I take the point where they were about to have sex as confirmation of such), she still treats him like shit, even going so far as to blame him when he's being sexually abused by others (the worst scene so far in this show imo, which is saying a lot).

I've seen people make fun of the yuri shippers of this show all the time, but the fact of the matter is that Ange x Hilda had way more development and good chemistry than Ange x Tusk ever did; and that's not even to say it had a lot, just that Ange x Tusk had nothing aside from Tusk existing. One doesn't need to be a yuri fan to see that; you just need to not be wearing hetero-goggles.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Entirely disagree, Red fox. While it hasn't, admittedly, been super-strong, I have seen plenty enough development between Ange and Tusk to warrant a romantic relationship. He's rescued her (more than once), fought in support of her, acted gentlemanly towards her (when not accidentally face-planting in her crotch), and patiently put up with her contrariness. He's even helped out people she considers friends, too (i.e., Momoka and Vivian). Basically, he's the one person, other than Momoka, who's always had her back, and he's pledged his unwavering loyalty to her, too. Why wouldn't she get romantically interested in him, especially when there's no other male option?

And as for why Tusk would be interested in her? Tusk was loyal to Jill and Ange has many of the same traits (strong, confident, good figure), so it's no stretch to think that she's his type. She's also the Vilkiss pilot. So what's missing to convince you?

No, at worst this series is mid-range as far as establishing its protagonist's romance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mecha Odyssey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I would have to agree more with Red Fox of Fire points, just not to the same level dislike of Tusk's character. I like him, just not the nature of their romance.

While I do understand the need of Tusk's relationship with Ange (especially proven over the past 2 episodes), it basically feels that it was put in place just to protect her from what's happening to her now.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Tusk hasn't had any need to exist as of yet. All we know is that is the "Knight of the Villkiss," but what does that mean? Where did he come from? Why is this important to him? What's his end goal (or at least, what was his original end goal before it became "marry Ange"?)?

The romance isn't just "weak," it's the worst romance I've seen since Sword Art Online. All the "development" was him landing his face in her crotch, and even after they're supposedly a couple (I take the point where they were about to have sex as confirmation of such), she still treats him like shit, even going so far as to blame him when he's being sexually abused by others (the worst scene so far in this show imo, which is saying a lot).

I've seen people make fun of the yuri shippers of this show all the time, but the fact of the matter is that Ange x Hilda had way more development and good chemistry than Ange x Tusk ever did; and that's not even to say it had a lot, just that Ange x Tusk had nothing aside from Tusk existing. One doesn't need to be a yuri fan to see that; you just need to not be wearing hetero-goggles.

As for his title as a knight, I can only assume that since he's holding onto it dearly it must be something his parents bestowed upon him. As his parents are the only people he loves move that Ange. Remember in episode 14 she insulted their memory the camera zoomed in on his clenched fist as he restrained himself from hurting her and he didn't talk to her until she apologized.

In regards to their romance I see your point and do feel that it is not one of the best written/strongest basis for a relationship that has been created, especially after what happened in episode 15. While HaruhiToy and Key make good points about the relationship, all those points are to why Tusk is good for Ange. At this point, I feel that Hilda, Salamandinay or even Momoka will be better for Tusk than Ange. Anyone who blames their partner for being sexually assaulted and then proceeds to further assault their partner with medical instruments as punishment to the point that they are screaming in pain does not deserve to be in a relationship. So while yes, Tusk's presence has been very beneficial for Ange, the only effect she has had on his left was to help him get over his fear and hesitation about his duty when they first met. That to me is not the basis for a romantic relationship, but a role model, someone to look up to. If Tusk ever stops idolizing Ange and thinks critically, maybe he may re-evaluate what she's actually bringing to the table which is little to nothing right now.

Key wrote:
Why wouldn't she get romantically interested in him, especially when there's no other male option?

Because it would be really nice to see a female lead not realize her self worth through a man's/someone's love? Just because there is only one option, it doesn't mean it has to be taken.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Mecha Odyssey wrote:
Key wrote:
Why wouldn't she get romantically interested in him, especially when there's no other male option?

Because it would be really nice to see a female lead not realize her self worth through a man's/someone's love? Just because there is only one option, it doesn't mean it has to be taken.

Sorry but this just doesn't fly for me. It does not pass the gender swap test.

If the genders were reversed would you say the male form of Ange was needing validation because he was sick of violence and inter-dimensional politics and would prefer to settle down and do a family and business with an attractive partner somewhere?

As male romantic lead partners go, Tusk is pretty background. He doesn't get a lot of independent screen time or development independent of Ange. Once again if the genders are reversed you would have a lot of feminists rolling their eyes complaining that Tusk only exists to validate and serve the desires of Ange. They would complain about the routine margininalization of women and their importance.

Tusk is a useful and a solid character. Like most things in CA there are problems there but taking him out would substantially change the story and probably not for the better.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
The only issue I have with the romance between Ange and Tusk are the random gags (and I dunno what was up with Tusk lying next to a naked Ange in ep.5 either). If that didn't exist, then it'd just be a typical romance. Tusk thinks Ange is smoking hot, so that's I guess that's what she brings to the table. Pretty fair reason lol. Plus Ange inspired him to take up his people's duty of being the knight of Villkiss, something he was initially afraid of performing (understandably so, since he watched his parents die in front of him).

And yeah, Tusk being mobbed by the DRAGONs wasn't cool at all.
Mecha Odyssey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Mecha Odyssey wrote:

Sorry but this just doesn't fly for me. It does not pass the gender swap test.

If the genders were reversed would you say the male form of Ange was needing validation because he was sick of violence and inter-dimensional politics and would prefer to settle down and do a family and business with an attractive partner somewhere?

As male romantic lead partners go, Tusk is pretty background. He doesn't get a lot of independent screen time or development independent of Ange. Once again if the genders are reversed you would have a lot of feminists rolling their eyes complaining that Tusk only exists to validate and serve the desires of Ange. They would complain about the routine margininalization of women and their importance.

Tusk is a useful and a solid character. Like most things in CA there are problems there but taking him out would substantially change the story and probably not for the better.

I wasn't doing any kind of gender swap test or anything like that. Gender swapping wouldn't work in this show that so based on the gender of the characters. So no, I would not agree with your example above.

That comment was in reference to the torture Ange has been suffering from Embryo the past 2 episodes. As we have learned Jill also fell victim to him. Thus I would have preferred that Ange's own natural stubborness and defiance would have been the key to resisting Embryo's mind control/distortions. Her salvation coming from her love of Tusk was disappointing to me because as I said, it makes the purpose of their relationship to save her from what she's going through now.

Generally I like when characters realize their worth on their own, and not because someone loves them, male or female.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 43