• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terraziel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:58 am Reply with quote
pi8you wrote:
KAIJU No. 8 looked pretty good and the minutiae of viscera detail was fun, but I have to quibble on the world building. Mina('s squad) has taken out 'several hundred' kaiju on her own let alone everyone else fighting, it's so bad you've got specialized teams and vehicles for disposal on top of the combat, and the whole city isn't (noticeably) being rebuilt in a more kaiju-proof fashion than adding a bunch of alert systems? And no early warning systems?

I'm glad that it wasn't just me. I mean they kind of imply that this is such a regular thing that the locals barely even care, and then there are no attempts at all to keep it from getting in to the city and causing damage. Fine, maybe they didn't want to have too much exposition in the first episode but i do hope there is at least some attempt to justify it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Think my primary reaction to Kaiju No. 8 was similar to whoever said it above (or maybe one of the reviewers?) -- I was really into where the story was going before the last few minutes. I'm actually kind of bummed by what seemed like a deeply unnecessary twist in already really engaging narrative. Maybe they'll do something interesting with it, though.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Meh, by the series' art and common tropes I already knew where Kaiju was going, its quite obvious it's was gonna become a gory Ultraman-esque series, it was a more comedy heavy than I thought it would be tough.

I really hope the nonsensical world building plot holes mean there is a deeper plot here, I watched 2 seasons of JJK thinking the nonsense was part of an smarter narrative that never came and I will be mad if it doesn't manifest for a second time.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Whisper Me a Love Song was really good and I'm excited to see more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Certainly when I'm watching a show about huge monsters attacking cities, I expect and demand the hyper-realism and careful attention to "world-building" detail that such a premise demands. Rolling Eyes

Like that winged bug parasite that infects Kafka... are we expected to believe it could actually fly? I betcha it's mass exceeded the lift capability of its so-called "wings." What flagrant aerodynamically impossible bullshit, man. And a Japanese person with the first name of Kafka? Really? How likely is that as realistic nomenclature? Yeah, I'm out.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Kaiju No. 8’s strength isn’t world building, but I think the next few episodes should address some of the complaints I’m seeing.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Certainly when I'm watching a show about huge monsters attacking cities, I expect and demand the hyper-realism and careful attention to "world-building" detail that such a premise demands. Rolling Eyes

Like that winged bug parasite that infects Kafka... are we expected to believe it could actually fly? I betcha it's mass exceeded the lift capability of its so-called "wings." What flagrant aerodynamically impossible bullshit, man. And a Japanese person with the first name of Kafka? Really? How likely is that as realistic nomenclature? Yeah, I'm out.

Asking a series to have the same low effort attention to detail Evangelion had 30 years ago its too much to ask I suppose.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:50 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Asking a series to have the same low effort attention to detail Evangelion had 30 years ago its too much to ask I suppose.

Ah yes, isn't a shame that Evangelion's "low effort attention to detail" has ruined its reputation as an anime classic.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
ike that winged bug parasite that infects Kafka... are we expected to believe it could actually fly? I betcha it's mass exceeded the lift capability of its so-called "wings." What flagrant aerodynamically impossible bullshit, man.

You referencing the same criteria that proved a bumblebee can't fly??

Funny you should reference Evangelion, I've come to consider it a failed series. Of course my opinion is definitive. Wink

Note: apparently they were using the criteria for fixed wing aircraft. It seems that a bumblebee is a form of helicopter.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
I've read the Yatagarasu novels, and figured they'd be hard to adapt, but they're sure making it look effortless so far. Instantly the best show this season.

Agreed with that final line.

I haven’t read the novels myself (I think I have the first one around somewhere, though) but I’m shocked this series isn’t getting more buzz. Effortless is a good way to describe how they’re handling the world-building and plot so far.

It’s early yet, but this has the chance to be an all-timer for me.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:19 am Reply with quote
The only thing I don't really like about Kaiju n.8 anime is the human character designs. The original art is not too difficult, and yet the character designer put rectangular shapes instead of eyes, noses or mouths.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Very weak set of offerings this season outside maybe 1 or 2 new ones and a couple sequel seasons here. At least so far. Fine with me though lol, i got a lot to catch back up on
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Please vote for "An Archdemon's Dilema: How To Love Your Elf Bride".

It's a really good series. The whole "He bought her as a slave" thing doesn't really matter beyond the first episode. It quickly becomes a nonissue 10 minutes into the second episode.

It's also cute as hell. If you want a series that has diabetes inducing cuteness, incredible action, and really deep and complex lore and worldbuilding, "An Archdemon's Dilema: How To Love Your Elf Bride" is the series for you.

I cannot overstate just how goddamn good the series is. This is coming from someone who's read all of the books that have currently been released in English. And it looks like this season of the anime will adapt roughly the first 2 books. Maybe the third as well. And if it does adapt the 3rd book, then you will get diabetes from cuteness overload.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm Reply with quote
This is super late, but thank you to those in the forums who answered my question about Sound Euphonium several pages back! And thank you to Steve Jones who mentioned the movies and OVA in his review!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:26 pm Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Oops, fell behind. Round Four!

Really, where have you been!?! But seriously, props to you, because I always enjoy reading your take.

That's kind of you to say. We are often on the same page series-wise though!

NeedMoreCats wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Dance in the Vampire Dorm was pretty cheesy, but it's pretty vampires and clearly not taking itself too seriously, so I'm in.

I will totally watch the pretty vampires with you! Very Happy

See you in the discussion thread then! 2nd ep made it even more clear that they're just having fun with this.

Final Round!

Energizer Bunnies was kind of like watching Ace of Diamond with a blond Sawamura catching for Furuya. Except for the giraffe-neck character designs, I'm jealous on AoD's behalf for the actual animation on the screen, but so far the characters aren't anything for the sempai series to worry about. I'm hoping that Kei will settle down soon, but I wonder how many episodes it will take for him to admit he's faking his amnesia. Cause I'd put money on that being the case. But it's baseball, so of course I'm in.

I think one of the characters in The Mystic Archives of Nil Admirari described Sumireko as having "caterpillar" brows. I've noticed that popping up in a lot of anime recently - even the nekomata in Tonari no Youkai has them! Is that medieval style making a rl comeback in Japan or something? Also she's got those cataract pupils that creep me out (in someone without a genuine visual impairment). Actually, this series seems to be unique in all the characters having radically different eye designs. Anyway, aside from the pointless hypertrophic boob fetish, this seems like it's right up my alley.

Viral Gut Punch was just too ugly. I don't care if he eventually dispenses justice. Not my cuppa.

Kaiju Potion No. 9 seems like the hype might not be overblown this time. As someone who watches destructofests like Avengers movies and gets distracted thinking about who's going to clean all that up, the first half made me feel seen. Smile Very interested to see where it goes from here.

The New SAO seemed to me like the "ripping off" of SAO that most of the reviewers complained about is the whole point of the series. Richard, I'm right there with you, apparently also being among the target audience. I did keep thinking that it would've been cool if they could've gotten permission to use character designs closer to SAO's to make the "sequel" vibe stronger (or even just go full SAO alt-sequel), since the artwork looks kinda meh. But bad art and/or animation have never gotten in my way before (veteran of Kemono Friends and first two seasons of Kingdom), and this looks like it could be fun.

Karasu: To the Top took a bit to reel me in, but I think it's got the claws of all three feet in me now. When they switched from Yukiya's story to Asebi's and seemingly forgot about him, they nearly lost me (as Rebecca noted, she's almost but not quite TSTL), but then they got back to him and all was forgiven. Since ravens seem to not be any sort of secret in this land (the flying transports are a treasure), I don't understand why he was told not to let anyone see him transform, but I assume that will become clear soon.

And I'm still on board for most of the returners, but I'm done now. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 32