• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 3 Blu-ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
They missed out on spoiler[Chiwa's heart-rending howl of despair as she pulls that trigger.]

Hey, Cristina Vee did a pretty dang good job with that one if I do say so myself.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They wouldn't appreciate the original version in the same way you and I do, and that's fine, but that doesn't somehow invalidate their opinion of what they experienced.

Not to be a critic, but you sound dangerously close to sounding like you're saying "Those who watch the dub don't appreciate the original version as well as those of us who watched the sub."

In other words, you sound a TINY bit elitist there.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Why yes, I believe it does.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Wow, you people are still having your little fan-rage about dub/sub and the grades they're given?
And now, it's turned into a "those who watch it dubbed can't appreciate the show as much as those who watch it subbed" war?

Man, sometimes I really hate the fandom I'm a part of.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:

Wow, you people are still having your little fan-rage about dub/sub and the grades they're given?
And now, it's turned into a "those who watch it dubbed can't appreciate the show as much as those who watch it subbed" war?

Man, sometimes I really hate the fandom I'm a part of.

In a way, every fandom sucks because they all get into pointless arguments about semantics that no one else cares about.
Veers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Not to be a critic, but you sound dangerously close to sounding like you're saying "Those who watch the dub don't appreciate the original version as well as those of us who watched the sub."

You're grasping at straws. I was not making any kind of judgements of sub or dub viewers, only stating the simple fact that watching the series dubbed in English is going to be a different experience than watching it dubbed in Japanese and that the experience we had watching the original run of the show can never be repeated.

I'm not saying someone who's just now getting around to the show can't appreciate it (in whatever language), I'm saying that A) they will be appreciating it in a different way (simply different, not automatically better or worse) and B) most people waiting for the English dub probably have no desire to sink their teeth into the original version, or else they wouldn't be waiting for the English dub, right?

How could someone who watches only the English dub appreciate the original voice acting? How could someone who watches the English dub first appreciate the original voice acting in the exact same way as someone to whom the original voices define the characters? How could someone just now getting to Madoka appreciate the online fandom experience while the show was airing? Answer: they can't, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you think that's being elitist then I don't know what to say to you.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, it's just that a lot of people use logic like that to be all elitist and stuff.

Sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to sound like an asshole.

Quote:
How could someone who watches the English dub first appreciate the original voice acting in the exact same way as someone to whom the original voices define the characters?

I don't know about you, but I am perfectly capable of seperating characters from their voices--that is, I find BOTH voices (ENG and JPN) to be unique, equally valid interpretations of the characters. Both voices define the characters for me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
most people waiting for the English dub probably have no desire to sink their teeth into the original version, or else they wouldn't be waiting for the English dub, right?

Or they could be waiting for the LICENSED R1 release because they did not get a chance to watch the series as it was airing, and/or do not want to resort to illegal means to watch Madoka Magica.
Veers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Veers wrote:
most people waiting for the English dub probably have no desire to sink their teeth into the original version, or else they wouldn't be waiting for the English dub, right?

Or they could be waiting for the LICENSED R1 release because they did not get a chance to watch the series as it was airing, and/or do not want to resort to illegal means to watch Madoka Magica.

I said English dub, not North American release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Veers wrote:

I said English dub, not North American release.

All right, you were not talking about the North American release. But I doubt an official licensed release of Madoka Magica with an English dub will be available first in a region that is not R1.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
Thank you for your explanation. I wasn't attempting to prove that the dub score has no purpose. I was trying to decide whether the dub score would be of use to me personally. Given your explanation the answer to that question is no.

I'm glad to have helped! I am aware that even if something has a purpose, its purpose may not fulfill one's needs. That is what happens to you. The same goes to anime that almost treat acting and scripting as afterthoughts, as the dub and sub may not differ all that much to change grades on the overall experience. Yet, if anything, ANN reviews usually have an entire paragraph dedicated to the quality of the dub (if the show has a dub of course), so those should still be of some help to you.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Let me try and sum this up right quick: Maidenoftheredhand thinks the English dub should be judged separately from the experience of watching the show in English while the overall score should only reflect watching the show with the Japanese dub and faces rather substantial opposition from those who think the dub one listens to is a vital part of the experience. Fencedude5609 keeps acting like a major chunk of the show is minor if it isn't the original and that a different dub ipso facto means a different show, while it seems what little response he got to that last brain fart is to be called an elitist.

I personally think ANN has the right idea to give overall scores for both dubs, but it could be clearer that it's about the experience, not the dub itself. Regarding Fencedude, I'm a Debian user. I know elitism. Elitism is a friend of mine. That, sir, is no elitism. It's just a massive bout of stupidity that makes my reference look clever by comparison.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Strictly speaking, Veers is the one who got called Elitist.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
I was NOT calling Veers elitist. I was saying that I personally thought that he sounded close to elitism, and may have worded himself badly.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Let me try and sum this up right quick: Maidenoftheredhand thinks the English dub should be judged separately from the experience of watching the show in English while the overall score should only reflect watching the show with the Japanese dub and faces rather substantial opposition from those who think the dub one listens to is a vital part of the experience.

Well you can sum it up but that's not what I was saying. I was never talking about one's personal experience with the series. That might be what the sub vs dub grade is now but I was talking about something different. I meant the dub should not be used to say whether a series itself is good or bad because the dub had nothing to do with the creators' work on the series.

I am not saying the dub component is not important in other respects of the review. If anything I think it should be switched where the grade should reflect the dub itself and the body of the review should discuss the experience watching the dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 31