• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - The Killing Fields

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
spoiler[And how many of her classmates did she calmly watch die in increasingly gruesome deaths before she decided to act? Lots. And why is she only acting now? Because her boyfriend got hurt a little. She's a horrible b*tch and I can only pray she gets the epic disembowelment she deserves.]

Being a bit extreme, aren't you? Consider her actual character: she's admitted herself that she has problems connecting with people. Given the way she was raised it's no suprised she's so detached from everything. The one person she was really close to recently died so I'm sure she's still suffering from that too.

And it's not like her other classmates did her any favours. But the whole 'killing the Another' only came to light recently so before the trip revealing who the Another is was pointless. If anyone believed her, what were they going to do about it?

It did take a rather nasty death happening right before her eyes, but she did eventually reach her breaking point and now she's taking action.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
so you admit to having little suspension of disbelief...

I never said that or even implied it. If that's your interpretation of what I wrote then fine, but do not maliciously claim that I admitted it when I clearly did not.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
also the email thing was what she was talking not the probes also the scenes in episode 11 are universally acclaimed, and yet you can't be at all happy about it seems.

I dropped the show after episode seven. Episode six was god-awful with the raiding of the passenger liner and episode seven had the blonde-Loli princess. The show ended up being such a chore to watch that I actually did the dishes in order to avoid watching episode eight one night. It was at that point I knew I had to drop it right then and there.

I am sorry went overboard and put words in your mouth. most people like myself see very little problem with them wearing miniskirts in space, when the show is called miniskirt space pirates. also regardless of how you feel about the"basics" of the show, to most people it is one of the most old-school sci-fi shows in a long time.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
Quote:
It may have started out a bit on the silly side, but it's since become one of the most consistently entertaining shows week after week

Kind of like Mirai Nikki, which you dropped prematurely.

I was usually on the same page regarding Mirai Nikki as Bamboo was - delighted in the beginning, grew tired of it at the around the same time - except that I never dropped it. And now, thanks to that, I'll have the joy of finishing what has turned into one of the absolute worst shows I've ever watched. I think Bamboo was the smarter one here. Sad
I have to unfortunately agree here. I was a fan of the manga (except the very end) and I can only say that I have been disappointed in the anime.

Chihayafuru has been my favorite show of the last 2 seasons and I'm sad to see it end. It feels like we've reached the middle of the story for these characters too Sad and we may possibly never see the end (in anime at least).

I've continued to watch Another, but my enthusiasm dimmed a bit with some of the contrived cliffhangers (oops, tape broke let's wait till next episode and I have something critically important to say but let's get interrupted instead). I don't mind being manipulated as a viewer, but do a better job of it.

I dropped Pirates and Lagrange around episodes 6-7. I thought they were decent but were not living up to the hype of their fans. Contradictory tones for both shows were killing it for me.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I dropped Pirates and Lagrange around episodes 6-7. I thought they were decent but were not living up to the hype of their fans. Contradictory tones for both shows were killing it for me.

why not just drop lagrange then? that way you could keep watching one of them and enjoy it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

why not just drop lagrange then? that way you could keep watching one of them and enjoy it.
No, I didn't mean that they were contradictory to each other. But that both shows have contradictory tones within their respective shows. For example, Lagrange around episode 6 or 7 has eels getting into the girls swimsuits (you know for some tentacle action), girls bonding thru nakedness, etc. At the same time you've got some mastermind jerk choking young girls and a grim back story. This just made me wanna go WTH, make up your mind if this is going to be a gag show with some fan service or some dark grim tale involving a prophecy and giant robots. Perhaps if they had blended it better or had less of one it would have worked for me. I just felt that some of these shifts in tone were clunky and not working for me. I had similar issues with Pirates as well.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Quote:
It may have started out a bit on the silly side, but it's since become one of the most consistently entertaining shows week after week

Kind of like Mirai Nikki, which you dropped prematurely.

Frankly, I think Future Diary is a lot more entertaining than Another for the reason that it just seems more self-aware. It comes across more as knowing that it's nonsensical silliness. But Another seems to genuinely believe that it's a serious and intelligent series and I just find that hard to put up with its stupid plot contrivances and rock-solid plot armour for the main characters. That's why the latest episode was probably the best, because spoiler[a random unexplained maid started slaughtering people for no in anyway explored reason], which was for obvious reasons very entertaining. It's just a pity that I saw it on the same day when Future Diary spoiler[pulled off a PROPER slaughter.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
the thing about Future Diary is....

I stopped at the halfway point and I am completely convinced I will be able to watch the final episode, find out out how it ends, and not care in the least about what happened in the previous 11. That's what I'm planning on doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

I stopped at the halfway point and I am completely convinced I will be able to watch the final episode, find out out how it ends, and not care in the least about what happened in the previous 11. That's what I'm planning on doing.

Having read the manga to it's conclusion (mostly just to see how badly it could get), all I can say to that is NOPE.

Without trying to get too much into spoiler territory, all I can say is that Future Diary ends up devolving into some "Evangelion-Style Weird Reality-Breaking ***ery"

I honestly can't recall the last time I've seen a series go off the rails so spectacularly.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
devolves? That's exactly what I figured it'd be and is the reason I have no problems skipping the second half. What did you think the result of the winner becoming a "god of space and time" would be? The only questions would be how bad things get by the end and how completely the winner (oh, I wonder who?) rewrites things and what his final fate would be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

maybe.. but there was a BL moment in the recent episode spoiler[when another future diary holder steals a kiss from yuuki and yuno lops his head off.] Other than that.. your not missing anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I also don't understand why another is rated higher then space pirates, when you say that space pirates was amazing and you watched it twice (good choice btw), and another is still at times irritating.

I wasn't wild about many of the episodes of Bodacious Space Pirates leading up to the mind-blowingly awesome episode 11, whereas Another has been pretty damned good for the past several episodes.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Secondly, you state that Science Fiction fandom is the best kind of fandom, but you do not seem to have any grasp of - or love for - the "Science" half of that pairing. Moretsu Pirates not doing skirts right is a little thing but it shows that the creators don't understand physics and technical matters. So it is no wonder that you, a person who doesn't care about science and realism, would like a show that also struggles with the sort of physics that students are taught in their mid-teens.

You're right, I don't care about science. That's the reason I'm in my sixth year of a PhD program in biochemistry, and have a BS in engineering.

You're totally right. I hate science. And I hate real science fiction. Which is why I've spent years arguing with people online that the only true science fiction is Golden Era s.f. written by scientists like Clarke and Asimov.

You got me pegged, son.

Also, their choice of non-floating skirts is not a physics choice, but a morally conservative one. They wanted short skirts, without panty flashes. THAT'S IT. And then they wrongfully assumed there wouldn't be people whinging about it on the Internet.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
You're right, I don't care about science. That's the reason I'm in my sixth year of a PhD program in biochemistry, and have a BS in engineering.

You're totally right. I hate science. And I hate real science fiction. Which is why I've spent years arguing with people online that the only true science fiction is Golden Era s.f. written by scientists like Clarke and Asimov.

You got me pegged, son.

Also, their choice of non-floating skirts is not a physics choice, but a morally conservative one. They wanted short skirts, without panty flashes. THAT'S IT. And then they wrongfully assumed there wouldn't be people whinging about it on the Internet.

And yet again, you miss the obvious point. I don't care that the skirts didn't obey physics, the real issue is that the skirts should not be there in the first place. Geez, you can't even understand that one easy-to-understand point. Would you like me to spell it out for you? 'Cause at this rate I may have to.

And how can you say that Clarke and Asimov are the only true Science Fiction and then in this recent column (of which this thread is talking about) extol how Moretsu Pirates is an example of the sort of SF that caused you to dive into the fandom? Moretsu Pirates doesn't deserve to even breathe the same air as Starship Troopers or Protector, let alone lick their boots.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
the real issue is that the skirts should not be there in the first place.

I agree. Cool

Can that miserable debate end now?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Having read the manga to it's conclusion (mostly just to see how badly it could get), all I can say to that is NOPE.

Without trying to get too much into spoiler territory, all I can say is that Future Diary ends up devolving into some "Evangelion-Style Weird Reality-Breaking ***ery"

I honestly can't recall the last time I've seen a series go off the rails so spectacularly.

I haven't watched the end, or read the end of the manga since the domestic publisher went out of business; but really how can it go off the rails. Everyone who watched the first episode or read the manga knows what the prize is for winning the contest. Also, the power to create all the future diaries is pretty great considering what they do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8