• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haiyoru! Nyaruani / Nyaruko-san: Another Crawling Chaos (ONA/TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
And on a side note, I have long considered Kugimiya Rie to be a foremost voice actress of this generation. I know people like to hate on her because she always gets typecast into the loli tsundere role, but if you get her out of that, you will find she has an amazing talent and range. She has given this show an excellent performance so far.

Whilst I don't share your apparent enthusiasm for the colossal entity that is KugiRie, I do like her performance in this show... If only because it's so different to some of her more famous roles in terms of range and expression. If I hadn't known it was her beforehand, I doubt I'd have been able to tell just by listening.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
In the third episode, the brother says something along the line, “No sister should be allowed to surpass her older brother”. What stuck me was the use of the word imouto instead of the word kyoudai (sibling). It is possible that kyoudai is only properly used with multiple siblings, I don't know, my Japanese is entirely self taught, but the point I'm trying to make is that while Japan is still a highly hierarchical society (Even in shows where there are characters who are twins, there is great emphasis on age-based honors and roles, even if the time separating the two is only minutes) the line also could be read to say that no woman should surpass a man.
Imouto specifically refers to a younger sister, which gives a less sexist explanation. (see Space Brothers)
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
The standard otaku hobbies are shown to be immensely popular in space, despite there low popularity even in their place of origin.

This part, at the least, you're way over-thinking. It's just part of the bigger joke about how aliens are strangely enamored with Earth entertainment.

(Oddly, this just provides further support for the greatness of Asobi ni Ik. . . er, Cat Planet Cuties, since it actually justifies why aliens might take an interest in Earth entertainments.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wish we had shows that were so spoiler[terrible that they're awesome] fun like this one every season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Man, I wish we had shows that were so spoiler[terrible that they're awesome] fun like this one every season.

What makes this show so terrible? It is clearly meant to be a comedy. We aren't laughing at the show, we are laughing with the show at the parts the show wants us to laugh with. Shows that are so terrible they're awesome are a completely different kettle of fish.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
It's self-referential, pandering, shameless, has internet memes built in, is spastic and immature, and keeps playing the "let's make babies" jokes like there's no tomorrow. These are things that normally don't make a good show IMO, but they just work so well in this one that I can't stop laughing.

I don't mean it's terrible like watching a train wreck, more like I feel silly for enjoying something so, well, dumb. But hey, dumb fun is fine in moderation, and I'm loving this weekly dose of it!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Hastuta is having so much success that Mahiro probably should try harder to resist him as to not end up on the yaoi route. Kuko's attempt to ship them is rather humorour. He even got the first "kiss" and the mother likes him. As for the plot, my Guess is that it has something to do with spoiler[video games, that is why green haired chick was able to convince the two gamers.]
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I've had that ending theme song for the My Mr Lovecraft ONA stuck in my head for 3 days now, since I completely love it.

Must be some bizarre Cthulhu torture device at work here.

But in case it's not, see for yourselves...
http://youtu.be/7TJXGdBBL64
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I've had that ending theme song for the My Mr Lovecraft ONA stuck in my head for 3 days now, since I completely love it.

Completly agree, I remember when I was watching it I had the song stuck in my head, it was kind of maddening. And I still like to listen to it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I love that you gotta be quick on the references in this anime, "You fool, Kuuko is dead!", Cats of Ulthar, and a bunch of others this episode, aside from the obvious deep ones and R'lyeh again. I hope Mahiro gets some dreams of a beautiful city at sunset so we can get the real adventure started.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I love that you gotta be quick on the references in this anime, "You fool, Kuuko is dead!"

Oh my god I totally did not get that until right when you pointed it out, it is from The Statement of Randolph Carter, the whole phone thing was the clue. Cats of Ulthar was easier as it was the name of a short story, but I guess they say them pretty quickly. Did it always have these sneaky bits?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
Totally spoiler[called on it being game related, turns out that it was about the console wars, with the mum being grabbed to look at the next gen Xoth, while Hasuta's father was representing the CCE.] Not sure but I think Luuhi Jiston/Ruuhii Jisuton (green haired woman) is a C'thulhu (namesake of the mythos), I would have thought they would have explained, but I guess the green hair and red eyes are somewhat a clue. Unfortuantly spoiler[she lost her, and how was she supossed tp see that pumping the illusion, of being a zombie that attacks humans, into the mind could be dangerous.] I do think there might have been some dirty jabs at the X box due to it's lack of popularity in Japan, but seems to also be somewhat a jab at PS3's initial lack of success.

Kuuko is growing is growing well onto me, Nyarko battle strategy gave me a laugh with the reaction it got from Kuuko, as with Kuuko's spoiler[submission by stripping.] It would seem that Kuuko "cordless bungee jump" was a reference to Denpa Onna, guess it is funnier when you consider the whole alien thing, similar speech, and the NEET thing.

Mahiro really is being too close too close to Hasuta, but why do I almost feel like suporting the pairing, I never have suported such a one before. And based on the end of episode spoiler[Mahiro has just been deflowered Nyarko.]

Also found a useful site for looking at the references that appear in each episode, there really were a bunch that I missed, and some that I only half got. http://nyaruref.blogspot.com
superdry

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Also found a useful site for looking at the references that appear in each episode, there really were a bunch that I missed, and some that I only half got. http://nyaruref.blogspot.com

Thank goodness for that site and others out there gathering Nyaruko references. It's really fun reading where it all comes from.

I do have to say that one really needs to be well versed in Kamen Rider and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure considering it seems like so many lines are taken from both those series.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
Enjoying this title a lot. Like Veers said, it's so stupid it's awesome! Nyaruko reminds of Excel at times although her insanity level is still somewhat inferior.
I guess I don't get half the references but I know they're there and I know they're stupid in a cool way. The whole sequence with transformed Nyaruko was a blast as was the weary reaction towards Hasuta transferring into the school.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 did a good job of making Mahiro X Nyarko look like a good, it softened the tsundere Mahiro and calmed the hyperactive Nyarko, who apparently acts that way because she would otherwise be embarassed.

Apart from that we started with Nyarko being pretty evil, her spoiler[pregnency stunt] was funny, and a little hard to watch, from the point that he was getting his life wrecked. And his mum approves. Although we had the opposite when she found out the truth, in that second made me want the couple. I see her talk of "the rats in the walls" and "the window.... the window...", were references to the short stories The Rats in the Walls and Dagon.

Also what they ate, looks like spoiler[there is a little bit of Cthulhu in every bite.] I liked Nyarko's evil face, it reminded me of the Accelerator.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14