• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - For God So Loved The Laserdisc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I work with a bunch of audio pros' that beg to differ. Wink They still have a warm place in their hearts for 24 track 2" quad which are still lovingly cared for and functional next to their Calrec, Protools, or Studio Logic. Mind you they're baby boomers as well as me and so have many a recording sessions on their analogue counters. Also there is the strange phenomena of vinyl making a come back at present.

You're right, I should've mentioned the scores of older pros who cling onto the old ways as well.

There is a time and a place for the "warmth" of analog, but my view is that the perception of warmth is mostly nostalgia. The actual variance-from-origin (s/n ratio) of analog noise vs digital rounding errors, in pro equipment, is about the same, or slightly in favor of digital. If the goal is perfect reproduction, that's the meter. Everything else is subject to our emotional influence, which changes by generation and amount of "knowledge."

I do love me some vinyl, but for me it's purely an emotional connection to the physical experience of playing it, rather than a preference for its "warmth". And the same thing with film -- I still have my 16mm projector I got when I was 6, simply because I love threading it and love watching the reels turn.

And that's enough of THAT tangent.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I can see doing subscriptions for unlimited viewership streaming, but I don't think I'd ever pay to download. This is video we're talking, of course. Audio is completely different, that you can take on the go and re-listen to multiple times. Video is something I'd prefer to do statically, meaning I'm going to want the best experience and quality. Download to own doesn't really provide what I'm looking for in that sense.

So, you are saying that you will never pay to download because at present the download to own available are not the "best experience and quality".

But the "best experience and quality" is typically BD, which is a purely digital format, and so will be matched by download to own one day. The obstacles are all financial and supporting infrastructure, and the present trends are for each of the financial obstacles to become smaller from one year to the next.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Lets put it this way, an awful lot of money has been spent both researching and developing , and selling software to finally get that "warmth of analogue" on digital that so many of the younger "pros" are rediscovering at their cost thinking they' ve got one over the "old pros". Old rope in the digital world. Wink
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess most anime fans who mainly follow popular Shounen series has to face "the unsatisfying ending" more so than people who watch all kinds of anime shows in general. Every time someone I know moans like "OMG! That show just finish half-way!", I have to reply them that "Dude, they cost like 3 millions to make one episode, they can't keep making them forever".

I'm really happy with the conclusions of Nurarihyon No Mago Season 1 and 2. I just hope the Season 3 comes out when it get enough materials. I also hope that the actual "final" final arc will get animated for at least 25 episodes.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Regarding bad anime endings:

Answerdude is right that the studio won't necessarily lose money by not having a legit ending. In the end it is all about the money. Why end a series that is making money? Why continue a series that isn't making money?

However, there are times when I'm interested in a series and I actually "investigate" to see if the series has a proper ending (while trying to avoid spoilers). If it doesn't have an ending then I'm less likely to get started watching because I know I will be less satisfied at the end.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
I thought I'd bring something up in regards to the Sunbow/Marvel Productions shows from the 1980s.

For Christmas, I got the Jem The Complete Series box set. The last disc in the set includes some retrospective featurettes, and one of the featurettes talks about how the show came to be. One of the people interviewed for the feature talked about Toei designing the look of the characters, and what they got back were designs that looked "anime" (the guy talking made references to Urusei Yatsura). After seeing what Toei sent back, Sunbow/Marvel sent some of their artists over to Toei's studio in Japan to show what kind of art style they were looking for. I don't know if it all of the 1980s Sunbow/Marvel shows were done that way, though.

My thought after hearing that was, "Wow, we almost had anime Jem back in the 1980s." Wink

Sorry my explanation is lacking in detail, but I watched that featurette about a couple of months ago, and I don't have time at this exact moment to pop the DVD back in and re-watch it for a more specific description.

This is pretty well known among anime fans, and as you said, I would guess most of the 1980s Sunbow shows were done similarly too, though probably mostly when it came to sticking to the character designs more than anything else.

As mentioned, the anime influence is still VERY obvious in certain episodes of Jem and most of the Sunbow shows though, in terms of the shading, editing, action choreography and animation style. Check out the drug episode in Jem--in the music video featuring the character "Laura" it almost looks like an Osamu Dezaki anime, with her hair moving to and fro anime-style and the camera swirling.
guru_clef

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I noticed everyone is ripping on the quality and content of media so in this chat. But the real question that was asked was value (how much could a fans collection be worth say in sixty years from now? ), and unfortunately not a whole lot. I track collectibles and their trending prices, and as a whole prices have slipped quite dramatically over the past decade. Yes I will not disagree there has been some stand out items and pieces of merchandise that have continued to accrue value, but for most part these are rare. To give an example if you have a 8mm select scene Star Wars movie, the current market value for an unrestored copy is around $50USD which is about what you would have paid back in 1979 when it was released in this format. Similarly a XMEN VOL1 Giant Size Issue #1 could barely pull $500USD recently at auction on ebay (this issue should be worth closer to $3000 - $4000USD), even figures are trending poorly with late 80's Gundam merchandise barely pulling their original retail values. So keeping media and merchandise for the purpose of investment is probably a rather poor idea (precious metals being a far better one), keeping a collection for it's personal value is a far better idea.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I remember vinal records. They were a royal pain in the ass. Unless you used very high end equipment and were obsessive about their care and handling they deterioriated rapidly. Any advantage in sound was quickly lost by simple use.

CDs just play. Unless you used them for coasters or frisbys they played as well the 50th time as they did the first time. Personally, I never could hear a difference except the absence of hiss, clicks, pops and other reminders of the fragility of vinal.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
I must say I'm pretty appalled at how some people here are saying they'd rather pirate than own a readily available legal download. And people still wonder why this industry is struggling...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote
guru_clef wrote:
I noticed everyone is ripping on the quality and content of media so in this chat. But the real question that was asked was value (how much could a fans collection be worth say in sixty years from now? ), and unfortunately not a whole lot. I track collectibles and their trending prices, and as a whole prices have slipped quite dramatically over the past decade. Yes I will not disagree there has been some stand out items and pieces of merchandise that have continued to accrue value, but for most part these are rare. To give an example if you have a 8mm select scene Star Wars movie, the current market value for an unrestored copy is around $50USD which is about what you would have paid back in 1979 when it was released in this format. Similarly a XMEN VOL1 Giant Size Issue #1 could barely pull $500USD recently at auction on ebay (this issue should be worth closer to $3000 - $4000USD), even figures are trending poorly with late 80's Gundam merchandise barely pulling their original retail values. So keeping media and merchandise for the purpose of investment is probably a rather poor idea (precious metals being a far better one), keeping a collection for it's personal value is a far better idea.

I think all of us value our anime stuffs for personal pleasure than making money off from them. If this is all about investment for higher collectors price, people would be busy selling their collections left and right when certain title is super hot. (I've noticed that it's more common in Yahoo Japan auction than Ebay when it comes to their limited editions)

As far as collector's value is concerned, only the time and change of hands can tell. Toy Story 2 and 3 come into my mind when I think of collectibles.

Also life's changes will affect the collection. One's treasure is other person's junk. Future spouse and children may not understand the personal value of your anime collection and they may throw them away. Just like Toy Story 3. Life's changes like moving and disasters could affect them too. I've lost some of anime merchandises due to moving and careless lending to friends. Sometimes I gave away some anime/manga stuffs that I've lost interest and I don't miss them at all. Most importantly, personal neglect due to busy schedule and other commitments will affect the state of your collection. If you can't take care of your collection, then store them in a safe place like your parents' house. Just be sure to check upon them from time to time so that you don't forget about them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
I got vinyl that are still in pristine condition as I would always make a dub of my records on to cassette to which I would then play to death and just make another dub to a fresh cassette again. Sadly stupid DMR, or DRM took away all that. Yeah Digital is the bomb. Rolling Eyes
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
guru_clef wrote:
... I track collectibles and their trending prices, and as a whole prices have slipped quite dramatically over the past decade. ...

Naturally "collectibles" that have a market primarily in the middle rungs of the income ladder will have slipped in value in the past decade ~ high income countries saw stagnant incomes followed by a major global financial crisis.

If 60 years from now we are facing a grim dystopian future in which environmental refugees are fighting to get to the newly opened arctic farmland ... then DVD collections from the turn of the century won't be worth much.

If 60 years from now we are facing a bright utopian future with robots doing all the boring, routine tasks and paid work carefully allocated so that people can expect 10 hours of paid work a week, paying for more than 40 hours a week does today ... then a fad for DVD collections from the turn of the century could easily push the value sky high.

The real answer is, there's just no telling. Anything from totally worthless to one of the best investments anyone could possible make is conceivable.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
guru_clef wrote:
So keeping media and merchandise for the purpose of investment is probably a rather poor idea (precious metals being a far better one), keeping a collection for it's personal value is a far better idea.

I think it also depends on what exactly you collect. Nth released DVD collections will likely not fetch small fortunes in the future, but animation artwork, especially those from beloved classics, will likely fair much better.

I collect anime production artwork and have been doing so for almost ten years. One thing I've noticed is that as those who grew up with said shows grow up and earn money, the demand for production artwork has greatly increased from certain productions. Artwork prices from anime such as Dragonball, Macross, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, etc., have drastically increased since I began collecting. And while a large part of it is likely due to the amount of artwork from these shows still available, I think a more likely candidate is that more fans, especially if a show was an international hit, have jobs and disposible income.

One thing about animation artwork is that it is very fragile in nature. This means that, unless an item is properly cared for, the chances of it lasting 30, 40, 50+ years after its creation, is not guranteed. If you store your paper and plastic artwork in humid conditions (Japan), it will deteriorate at a faster rate than items that have been properly cared for. The same can be said for items not stored in acid free plastic bags. I've seen photos of large Japanese collections where sketches and cels have been crammed together into large cardboard boxes, stacked on top of each other, or collections where a good portion of the unprotected artwork is exposed to sunlight. These items will likely not last 100 years after their creation, and if they do, they might be in poor condition.

I think a lot of artwork collectors buy stuff because they geniunely like the item, rather than hoping that they'll be able to make tons of cash in 30 years time. I personally would hope that my collection would find a good home in a museum where it can be enjoyed and properly cared for.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
I must say I'm pretty appalled at how some people here are saying they'd rather pirate than own a readily available legal download. And people still wonder why this industry is struggling...

Both sides are to blame.

You got companies who didn't innovate, hasn't met consumer demand adequately, use scorched earth tactics, treat customers as criminals, and just plain are lazy.

Fans are just plain lazy.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:

A legal download is the exact same thing as a pirated copy to me... so I'd choose the version thats free. If they want my money, give me a physical product I actually own, not just a file.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5