• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Kids Station Cancels Its Hetalia Anime Run

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
hexenkessel wrote:
i'm so glad about this, its just too bad it'll still be on the net. and championferret, i feel sorry for you if you have nothing better going on in your life than the premeir of a show that makes a gay joke out of WW2.

Uninformed opinions for the lose.

And I feel sorry for YOU if you have nothing better to feel glad about than other people's shows getting cancelled =/

Totally. And 'hexenkessel' I hope one day I can get a list of anime you like, so I can make uninformed opinions on them being 'gay jokes about X' just to demonstrate your douchery.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Maybe we should get KuroKami canceled in retaliation?

...That? That isn't even funny. Shut your mouth.

As for this, this is effing ridiculous. I'm doing my best not to let out a string of curses fly out over how absolutely insane this is. As an anime fan, as a librarian, as a person, I abhor censorship for censorship's sake in any form.

Disclaimer: I don't even like Hetalia. I outright dislike it. But the fact that some whiny pricks can throw a big enough tantrum to cancel a show because it offends their skin as thick as wax paper, I...I don't even know what to say. Really sad, disgusting, etc, etc.
Yikes, one not-even semi joking line and your readying your shotgun.

Yes it sucks that effectivly you won't be able to get this on fansubs wihtout it looking like arse but life goes on (because who in thier right mind would licence a show that's efectivly viewed as "WW2, the comedy"?). Other shows get released and the Koreans can't to precisous to bugger all about it.

Maybe stop animating filler episodes, but that would be a service.

In short: calm down, guy. Shit happens, thats why toilet paper exists.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
Clearly you didn't even read my username or my entire post. Bravo.

Also, yeah, not cool to joke about Kurokami. Best show this season so far and too little gets licensed over here. >.> Though the fact that it kind of already -is- helps...xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
...Are you seriously supporting censorship because someone got butthurt over a cartoon? Seriously? Seriously?!

No doubt you'd say that Kids Station has a right to broadcast whatever the hell they like. But... that means that they have a right to not broadcast whatever the hell they don't like.

And you'd take this away from them, dictate what they must broadcast, and still call yourself anti-censorship?

Kids Station are not obliged to broadcast what you want them to. If they don't want to, for whatever reason... well, guess you're shafted. Unless you yourself are going to dictate what they must and must not broadcast, but... I think that just might be "censorship". Pretty sure it might be, yeah.
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
(because who in thier right mind would licence a show that's efectivly viewed as "WW2, the comedy"?).

I know rite?

I mean, what's next? A movie that makes a mockery of people's fears of nuclear attacks and such?
kotaroux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
This is merely a rumor, but sounds quite possible.

Kids Station's one of the biggest shareholder is TBS(TOKYO BROADCASTING SYSTEM). TBS is known to fabricate news and gives false information for anti-Japan propaganda. TBS has put pressures on Kids Station to stop airing.

By the way in Japan there are 4 major mass medias spreading anti-Japan propaganda. TV Asahi, TBS, Asahi newspaper, and Mainichi newspaper. It is really hard to understand why they keep doing it.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
this sucks I saw the trailer online and I was excited I'm disappointed well I just hope I can watch it on animate.tv and hopefully it won't be one of those Japan only streaming sites cause I want to watch it so bad I don't care if its subtitled or not... Sad
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
That's far closer to Nazi-ish than APH EVER was. =/.
You just had to bring Godwin into it, didn't you?
nargun wrote:
But. You don't have the right to demand that japanese TV stations offend other people for your amusement.
I wish my offence counted enough to get shows cancelled. There'd be a lot less reality TV around if so.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
Doctor Worm wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
(because who in thier right mind would licence a show that's efectivly viewed as "WW2, the comedy"?).

I know rite?

I mean, what's next? A movie that makes a mockery of people's fears of nuclear attacks and such?
You honestly think Funi will ever chance trying to sell "LOL WW2"? I know companys do some stupid, nay, death promoting nonsence in thier time but this would rank fairly highly on that list.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
Looks like a golden opportunity for Crunchyroll to me. Laughing
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
You honestly think Funi will ever chance trying to sell "LOL WW2"? I know companys do some stupid, nay, death promoting nonsence in thier time but this would rank fairly highly on that list.
They're already selling LOL Nazi vampires and LOL post-war reconstruction.
Storm Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
I happen to agree with all of you who said calm down and that it will still be aired, just not in the traditional sense. And besides, controversy makes for good promotion. I also agree with the people who said that people shouldn't bash something over things they hear second hand. Hetalia is more of a gag series with no set date in history, only a little bit of it takes place during WWII, hell, some of it even makes references to Ancient Rome, Japan's warring states, the hundred year war for crying out loud. So you could simply say that no place on the time line is safe from being made fun of. Sure, the war happened, it was bad, but there's alot more things out there then just the world wars.

As for stereotyping. Oh. I can think of a lot of popular series that have stereotyping in them and none of them came out worse for wear. American, German or otherwise. The stereotyping in Hetalia, compared to these other series is pretty tame. I mean Hellsing has Millennium. And least you forget, they're war mongering Nazis, I think you get the picture from just that. And even though this isn't as popular as some of the other series that have American stereotypes in them, how can anyone forget about the ever so interesting, hamburger loving, gun in pants, big nose, Japanofile David Rice from Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro.

It's all in how you look at it people, the ones who have actually read it know that it's nothing to baww over. But people who read information posted on the news sites or just see the tip of the fandom iceberg think "Oh my god!!1! It's gay comedy about WWII with stereotypes of everyone!!!!!1!!!11!! OMG!" I mean, like it or not at least go read a few of the strips before making an opinion. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to make people who like it hate it with you and vice versa. People have their own opinions, it's not your job to try and change them.

ETA: I wonder if the series had the countries mostly represented by females, would this whole thing be different and would the series be more excepted if that were so?

Last edited by Storm Princess on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:37 am; edited 3 times in total
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
kotaroux wrote:
This is merely a rumor, but sounds quite possible.

Kids Station's one of the biggest shareholder is TBS(TOKYO BROADCASTING SYSTEM). TBS is known to fabricate news and gives false information for anti-Japan propaganda. TBS has put pressures on Kids Station to stop airing.

By the way in Japan there are 4 major mass medias spreading anti-Japan propaganda. TV Asahi, TBS, Asahi newspaper, and Mainichi newspaper. It is really hard to understand why they keep doing it.

True that.
Only Sankei can be trusted. Yomiuri is not to bad.
There's a reason why "Asahiru" (verb) has become a word in Japan.

And yes. I'd totally make fun of WW2 if I want to.
Am I supporting or promoting the prosecution of certain groups of people? No. Am I justifying the holocaust? No.
Then I would totally make fun of WW2 anytime I want if I wanted to.
Why? It's freedom of speech. Sure, I am being a little disrespectful to a historical event, but it's not hate speech or slander. Just can't stand censorship...

My sentiment is the same as SongstressCela.
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Doctor Worm wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

I know rite?

Honestly, before all this controversy and whining? Probably not.. it was/is a niche series at best and you do kind have to wonder why it would be picked up and made into an anime in the first place when their are more interesting manga, visual novels, light novels, etc. out there that could be adapted to anime.

Now with all the controversy and whining? I really can't give a 'Yes' or 'No' answer to your question but what I do know is it's very likely the DVDs will end up being among the best selling in Japan this year and now has a much higher interest among otaku in other countries (an interest that will likely grow once the actual anime is out).. and if that happens you know, from just a business prospective alone it would be ridiculous to see Funi be all "Well, this looks like it'll be a rather profitable license.. bah! But who cares about that? Let's give into the disgusting monster that is political correctness instead.. HOORAY!!"

Christ knows it would likely end up selling more than freakin' Ikki Tousen would/will.

Stalag 17 - Barely EIGHT YEARS after the end of WWII.. a comedy-drama film about American airmen including at least one Jewish character in a German POW camp. I highly doubt the experiences of capture military people in German POW camps especially Jews were all that comedic.
Dr. Strangelove - Forget being after anything.. this came out DURING the Cold War.. it had barely begun in fact and the fear of a nuclear holocaust was a very real threat that hung over like a loose chandelier just barely hanging onto a ceiling.
Hetalia Axis Powers - About 63 years after the end of WWII. So is this about POW camps, nuclear holocaust or anything like that? Nope. It's poking fun at the stereotypes of the various countries which are anthropomorphisized + a bit of boys love or at least borderline boys love.

Now I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression.. I love Stalag 17 and Dr. Strangelove and I highly doubt Hetalia will or could ever come close to matching their brilliance and the laughs I get from them. I'm just trying to point out that comedies relating to World War II are nothing new and really if you put all the WWII comedies (anime, movie, tv, and whatnot) on some sort of 'Potential to Offend People' Hetalia would be quite low on such a scale.

And though this thread is kinda making me think otherwise I'll still say considering the content of a lot of other anime out there... anime fans aren't an easily offended bunch anyway.
domino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't understand how that webcomic is offensive to anyone. But I guess I am wrongly assuming here that everyone has a sense of humor...

I am furious over this. I can't believe it...
So for the sake of 15,000 anonymous racist/extreme nationalist Korean posters (who may have been the same few posting multiple times, for all we know), the rest of the entire world has to suffer? They should think of the rest of us fans. If the show offends you, just shut up and don't watch it.

If Crunchyroll crashes in and broadcasts Hetalia to rescue it for foreign fans, I'll love them forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7