• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Infinite Stratos Novelist Yumizuru Confirms More in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
and then wish death on the author.

Or in dragon695's case, wish the death of two authors where one really had no relation to the other besides being LN writers.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I understand hate for something but is some-one holding a gun up to your head and forcing your watch, read or worship it??

Of course not. Instead, they are depriving me of watching good Anime that could be made if Otaku were willing to put their foot down and demand better quality shows. And that is what makes me angry. I may not pay as much of the industry bills as an Otaku does but Anime still means a lot to me and I want to watch more good stuff. And the only reason I can't is because Otaku are into LCD shows and/or moronic stuff like Infinite Stratos.

You might counter that I should be angry at the Otaku and not the authors since the authors only write what will be popular amonst the mindless Otaku. And if you did you would have a good point. In fact, I am livid at their choices. But if all the authors were better and wrote better it would force an upgrade in overall quality because Otaku would have no choice but to buy better or not at all. Writing inferior works just because Otaku will buy anything is taking the easy way out and an insult to those authors who actually try to write well but don't get a shot because their works don't pander enough to the masses.

dragon695 wrote:
Indeed, it would be awesome, but why stop there? Why not include the author of OreImo and Yumizuru dead after committing erotic asphyxiation together? Twisted Evil

I like the way you think.

DragonSyde wrote:
You people have serious issues, grow up punks. Wishing harm or death to someone just because they wrote something you dislike is completely unnecessary and moronic.

Actually, I am wishing harm on people who are a cancer that is hurting the Anime industry's quality, reputation and popularity. Unlike the average Forumite, I actually care what happens to the industry that makes the works that I am a fan of. If the only authors in the industry were of good ability then it stands to reason that the works the industry creates would be of good quality.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Its just a really shitty show.

That also sold like hotcakes. I wouldn't hate it so much if it didn't embody so much of what is wrong with the fandom today, and I wouldn't hate it so much if it had been a failure.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

That also sold like hotcakes. I wouldn't hate it so much if it didn't embody so much of what is wrong with the fandom today, and I wouldn't hate it so much if it had been a failure.

And in the very same goddamn season Madoka sold over twice as much.

And IS isn't even the worst best selling show, I can think of at least one show that sold more that is actively hated by basically everyone.

Yes, its a shitty show, yes, it sold a lot, and yes, I enjoy ragging on it.

But holy shit man, gets some [expletive] perspective.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Not "meant for our market", huh. True, but it still affects us. If Japanese Otaku refrained from buying crap like Infinite Stratos and instead bought titles that are actually good then the overall quality of Anime would increase and we Westerners would have better shows to watch. So it does affect us, and therefore I do have a right to be annoyed that the Infinite Stratos Light Novel series is getting more books? Instead, why not give a chance to a bright up-and-coming novelist with big fresh ideas, or an established author who can actually write characters properly? Or a guy who understands physics and robots better than the grade-school experience-level of Yumizuru?

No, it doesn't affect you. If you weren't ware of its existence you would not feel anything. The fact that the market constantly produces many other different types of titles, including titles you like (and that others don't), and the fact that there is NO formula for success as I've mentioned, is proof that there is always enough room for everyone. Given that, how in the world does it prevent other authors from producing other works? The staggering amount of all the other types of novels, VNs, manga, etc completely disproves your assertion

Further who is "we"? Who is "us"? I can just as well make the same collective claim and lump you in with something you don't agree to. What you and dragon695 and aereus are annoyed--nay, pissed off about--is not that IS's success is somehow precluding the creation of other types of works (because it does not), it's the very fact that it has an audience at all. As you mention, you don't think it deserves to have any sales:
Quote:
Those poor sellers still sell; someone out there is still buying them.

In fact, your idea would clearly and more directly adversely affect others fans. We've already shown that its existence, nor its success does NOT preclude the creation of other shows. But that's not enough. Most detractors who go beyond "I don't like it because it's not for me" I've noticed are always authoritarian in terms of seriously desiring to limit choice for others.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Actually, I am wishing harm on people who are a cancer that is hurting the Anime industry's quality, reputation and popularity. Unlike the average Forumite, I actually care what happens to the industry that makes the works that I am a fan of. If the only authors in the industry were of good ability then it stands to reason that the works the industry creates would be of good quality.

Remember how you've been banned or put under moderation before? Thinking like this is why that happens. Come one man, demonstrate a capacity to learn!

If you are sincere, your priorities and sense of perspective have become worryingly distorted. Besides, shouldn't you be calling for genocide against the people who buy Infinite Stratos? They're the ones who create the market for it and things like it, which is the whole reason they exist. The author is in a sense, just obeying orders... JUST LIKE LIKE A CONCENTRATION CAMP EXUCUTIONER! There, I've brought Nazis into it, so somebody just fill Hitler in and we can fully Godwin this thread, as befits the deranged embarrassment to us all that it has become.

You're welcome.

I need I drink.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
In the end, anime is just another medium. Fiction has good works, and it has Twilight. Film has 2001 and it has Transformers. Music has country. Though I see the argument that anime can be corralled in and improved upon because of how tight of a business it is, how narrow the focus of the demographics are, whereas those other forms of media produced world-wide, anyone can try to make gangster rap, but only Japan can make anime.

Approaching this issue you meet some immediate roadblocks: they sell to the Japanese first and foremost because they're the ones willing to buy the product for the exorbitant prices charged there. Without being there and voting with yen, your vote might as well not count. Sure Japan tosses out a Badlands Rumble once in a very long while, but that's one instance out of thousands. We are essentially voiceless, and buying FUNi's Baccano BDs doesn't raise the volume because you're shouting through a tunnel layered in sound proof foam, full of middlemen and contracts. Japan does produce more "cerebral" anime, but they don't sell big, so of course they're not made in large numbers. But that's how music, book publishing, television, and Hollywood are too. Except they're so vast and wide that it's that you can't take it all in like you can with Japanimation.

You can be upset all you want, but either the otaku's wants will change on their own, or you'll have to accept it. I guess you could purchase 3000 Japanese BDs of a show you like, that'll let 'em know. Short of that, international money really does appear to be pittance on influence.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
In the end, anime is just another medium. Fiction has good works, and it has Twilight. Film has 2001 and it has Transformers. Music has country. Though I see the argument that anime can be corralled in and improved upon because of how tight of a business it is, how narrow the focus of the demographics are, whereas those other forms of media produced world-wide, anyone can try to make gangster rap, but only Japan can make anime.

Are ya sure-sure? Have ya heard Japan try gangsta rap?! Laughing
And which side of the (music) tracks do ya put country?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

The operative word was try, but there's definitely more out there than just rappers in America.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

The operative word was try, but there's definitely more out there than just rappers in America.

True........ I've definitely heard them..................... "try".........
Didn't quite........ make it though............ Let's leave it at that...........
(There's rap, and there's gangsta rap. And you so funny - ya didn't answer the other question.) Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Approaching this issue you meet some immediate roadblocks: they sell to the Japanese first and foremost because they're the ones willing to buy the product for the exorbitant prices charged there. Without being there and voting with yen, your vote might as well not count. Sure Japan tosses out a Badlands Rumble once in a very long while, but that's one instance out of thousands. We are essentially voiceless, and buying FUNi's Baccano BDs doesn't raise the volume because you're shouting through a tunnel layered in sound proof foam, full of middlemen and contracts. Japan does produce more "cerebral" anime, but they don't sell big, so of course they're not made in large numbers. But that's how music, book publishing, television, and Hollywood are too. Except they're so vast and wide that it's that you can't take it all in like you can with Japanimation.

Some good points. But I was Aniplex that released Baccano on Bluray. Funi only did the DVDs.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed that the thread title is rather weird? Seriously, hit "quote" or "post reply" and read the title. Strange.

----------

Configspace, if Otaku spent the money on good titles rather than bad titles, then it would make a difference to everyone.

Surrender Artist wrote:
Remember how you've been banned or put under moderation before? Thinking like this is why that happens. Come one man, demonstrate a capacity to learn!

Before you have that drink, I kindly ask that you please point out which rules I broke specifically and where I broke them so I can go back and fix my posts. Because at the present time I do not believe I have broken any. I'm more on-topic than those two talking about Japanese gangsta rap, that's for sure.

Surrender Artist wrote:
If you are sincere, your priorities and sense of perspective have become worryingly distorted. Besides, shouldn't you be calling for genocide against the people who buy Infinite Stratos? They're the ones who create the market for it and things like it, which is the whole reason they exist.

I'm not calling for Otaku to be killed. As an optimist, I hope that they can simply be 'persuaded' to watch good stuff if the industry pulls up its socks. Heck, if the industry got better and stopped pandering to Otaku then maybe - just maybe - the average Japanese could get behind Anime as a normal medium, and we would see a new golden age of Anime. Authors like Yumizuru are not going to get us there, I can tell you what.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Configspace, if Otaku spent the money on good titles rather than bad titles, then it would make a difference to everyone.

I'm not calling for Otaku to be killed. As an optimist, I hope that they can simply be 'persuaded' to watch good stuff if the industry pulls up its socks. Heck, if the industry got better and stopped pandering to Otaku then maybe - just maybe - the average Japanese could get behind Anime as a normal medium, and we would see a new golden age of Anime. Authors like Yumizuru are not going to get us there, I can tell you what.

The otaku aren't changing for the foreseeable future, and the industry thrives on home video and merchandising income. If Battleship had become the best selling movie of the year, killing Avengers, then we'd have to live in the reality where it's guaranteed sequels with bigger budgets. Perhaps that's mimicking your feelings on the destiny of anime? If they industry stopped pandering to what the otaku want, sales would decrease and less anime overall would get produced. You might get some more shows with the flavor you like, but when it doesn't sell well, what happens after that? You can't force the otaku, in the flavors they come in, to like a certain kind of product.

Addenda: what will Madoka bring us, as we can't deny how utterly successful it was. Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari mean more nisiOisin anime by Shaftbo, but Madoka means more appropriately dark anime, but with the concession being that it must contain cute girls? Either way, SHAFT controls the spice.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Nice of you to ignore my post addressing this issue.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Replying to earlier comments about my statements:

I was speaking about writing LNs that sell, I never said anything about anime.

Configspace: RE: Japanese mental health/otaku

I wasn't saying you are mentally ill for liking a show. I'm saying that the Japanese otaku fanbase has a very large proportion of people that have separated themselves entirely from the real world. I'm sure you've seen plenty of pictures of some of the crazy stuff they do. And with the internet, this has caused the "Tail to Wag the Dog" in the last 10 years.

It's resulted in lots of stories development being figuratively castrated. They don't want to "upset" anyone, so they won't definitively pick a girl, or have them dating, or even come up with a conclusive ending. All for fear of fanbase backlash.

And with the serial nature of manga especially, they feel beholden to caving into these demands, instead of having the courage to write the story they want. Not that I can totally blame them when it's their paycheck on the line...

Can I ask what you are talking about here? Other than Tenchi we have never got a harem ending, and the last several harem that I have saw ended conclusively with one girl picked or were leaning so hevaily in favor of one girl it cant really be called an open ending (Zero of Familiar 4 is one that comes to mind). I honestly cant think of any harem that didn't end conclusively in the last 5 years, that doesnt have the door open for sequel.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
and then wish death on the author.

Or in dragon695's case, wish the death of two authors where one really had no relation to the other besides being LN writers.

Oh lighten up, would ya? There's a reason we have the twisted-evil smiley, it wasn't intended to be taken 100% seriously. Cool

Frankly, I like NisiO LN's, which, in spite of a few obvious shortcomings, have fairly well-written and well-planned characterizations. Yes, I even enjoyed the adaptations and will admit that SHAFT does a damn good job of it. Maybe it is a guilty pleasure, but I'll stand by it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5