• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Launch 24-Hour Anime Service on Major Game Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Hell I'm just glad they are dubbing more anime means more voice work for the LA anime voice actors who barely get any work in anime anymore outside of Bleach and Naruto!Good news indeed now hopefully we will get dvd releases in the future!
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
It;s worth nothing the official press release also mentioned Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan being included though it;s not on the current list for fall stuff. Guessing it won't be ready by the fall but if it is being dubbed that would take care of all their simulcast backlog. Not bad.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I do not see why every one is so upset that you need to have a subscription to watch it the stuff. It's not that big of a deal, neither is having ads. Just get away from the TV when the ads are on. How hard is that?

There is absolutely no excuse for ads on a paid service.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
I do not see why every one is so upset that you need to have a subscription to watch it the stuff. It's not that big of a deal, neither is having ads. Just get away from the TV when the ads are on. How hard is that?

Basic cable is one thing, but I rarely see adds for on premium channels like HDNet or HBO, because those are tied closer to having better subscriptions. As this is a direct subscription for premium (and very little) content, ads are just inexcusable.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
An item in the press release that caught my eye (bold added for emphasis):
Quote:
Neon Alley is the first platform designed to be studio agnostic, featuring titles from other anime producers and distributors, and will unveil its programming lineup, special introductory offers, new acquisitions and other partnerships throughout the next several months.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy it'll be available in Canada.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Basic cable is one thing, but I rarely see adds for on premium channels like HDNet or HBO, because those are tied closer to having better subscriptions. As this is a direct subscription for premium (and very little) content, ads are just inexcusable.

I got no problems with them. If it keeps the cost of having a subscription down then I can deal with. I deal with it with Hulu Plus with having AdBlock so the ads do not load.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

I got no problems with them. If it keeps the cost of having a subscription down then I can deal with. I deal with it with Hulu Plus with having AdBlock so the ads do not load.

Also, it says limited ads. It might be partly to prevent bizarre air times (as in 2:37 P.M or so on) as most anime series have 22-25 minute episodes.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The main thing I'm getting here is that there probably won't be anymore new Viz shows dubbed on Hulu. I know it's pretty limited for dubs anyways, but this will definitely mean none.

Idk, I'll have to see how it is before I decide. So they better have a free trial or I'll never know.

And, it better be PS3.

It's gonna have to be awesome for me to do it, because I already have Hulu plus, CR, FUNi, and Netflix premium accounts. I usually have a TAN account as well, but I canceled it for a while until more shows that I want to watch build up, I've watched pretty much everything I want to watch that's on there atm. And, the few that I haven't watched yet are on Hulu plus.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
An item in the press release that caught my eye (bold added for emphasis):
Quote:
Neon Alley is the first platform designed to be studio agnostic, featuring titles from other anime producers and distributors, and will unveil its programming lineup, special introductory offers, new acquisitions and other partnerships throughout the next several months.

That is interesting. It, barring some miracle, won't get me to fork out cash for what many others here have said is an inferior service (not when I have Netflix, Funi, TAN, and Crunchy already), but it is interesting that they'll be showing other content.

Perhaps more interesting is the underlined part of that press release: Why does Viz want us to know that this service is the first one to be "on the fence" about the existence of God? With the proper definition of the term "agnostic", that sentence of theirs does not compute.

I expect the hipsters who have perverted terms like "irony" and "meta" to try and bastardize "agnostic" into a direct synonym for "independent", but I expect much better from a supposedly-professional press release. Some people... Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Sketchor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Manga has an on demand app for free on Xbox. And your Hulu style services give you way more show for the $8. So yeah, the big thing here is "why pay when I have Hulu?"

Except you can't get Viz dubs on Hulu or Netflix for that matter.

If you're a dub fan and you like those Viz shows (and potentially the other series coming from other companies) this could be a very good deal. 6.99 a month is cheaper than buying 6 episodes on iTunes, Xune or PSN. So unless you want to keep these shows on hand after you see them the service is more bang for your buck.

It isn't however more bang for your buck than Hulu Plus or CR premium in sheer volume of programs to watch but if you don't watch anime subbed then Neon Alley will undoubtedly offer more for you to watch.

And Viz knows putting Naruto Shippuden, InuYasha: The Final Act and the Beserk movies on this service is bound to get them customers and any additional series and movies are just gravy.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
If this was "On Demand" style, it would definitely be something I could get into. Plus, I have all three consoles, so it doesn't really matter which one it ends up on. However, since this is more like a 24 hour linear channel over a console, I think I will pass. Who knows how long I would need to have it, just to get through InuYasha Final Act.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
$6.99 is a lot considering NetFlix is only $8.99 a month and I would get 600% more content?

And NetFlix has a lot of anime to choose from.
Sketchor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
$6.99 is a lot considering NetFlix is only $8.99 a month and I would get 600% more content?

But potentially not all the dubs or even any of the dubs that will be on Neon Alley.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Sketchor wrote:
j Talbain wrote:

But potentially not all the dubs or even any of the dubs that will be on Neon Alley.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

That's placing value only on the dubs, and few of them at all. I'd rather have more content overall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6