• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Talks About Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Jadress wrote:
In my opinion, Hollywood is leaning too much on CGI lately. *coughPolarExpresswhythehellisitanimated*
true that, but The Incredibles kicked box office a$$

*cha-ching!*

Yes, but the Incredibles was still essensially a cartoon. Polar Express, like FF:SW, tied to used CG to replace actors, and while it hasn't done bad at the box office, I'm sure they wanted to to gross alot more than it did for it's $150 Million+ production cost. Hollywood is jumping on the CG bandwagon it seems and virtually abandoning traditional animation.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Jadress wrote:
In my opinion, Hollywood is leaning too much on CGI lately. *coughPolarExpresswhythehellisitanimated*
true that, but The Incredibles kicked box office a$$

*cha-ching!*

Only because it has Anti-Republican undertones.

*ducks the thrown items* I kid!! I kid!!
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Proman:
Quote:
Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) Gally is going to be a CGI character.

I guess Hollywood still hasn't learned anything from The Spirits Within.

"Battle Angel" is supposed to be a live action movie with only the main character created using CGI so comparing it to all CGI movies doesen't make much sense (at least you didn't compare Gully to Jar-Jar Brinks this time Wink ). As for "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within", it's pretty much the only big budget CGI film that failed at the box office. Also, one can make a pretty strong argument that the fact that it was a CGI movie was not the main reason why it failed since it was targeted a niche audience.
By the way, making Gally a CGI character might not be such a horrible idea since she is supposed to be an indestructible cyborg. They would've used tons of CGI if she was played by a real actress anyway (think what they did to Keanu in "Matrix Reloaded"/"Revolutions"). Making her a CGI character could help make things more consistent.
Though, personally, I would've preferred having a real actress as well.

GATSU wrote:
Kagemusha: I'd pick Zhang Zhiyi, because unlike Alba, she's Asian, can fight, and has been a more successful actress.

Zhang Ziyi is a fine actress and I agree that she's a better pick than Alba, though I personally prefer Mia Kirshner.
GATSU wrote:
And yes, I actually believe Fantastic Four and Sin City will either be disappointments or flops, because the former's been in worse development hell than X-Men, and the latter doesn't have enough of an audience to justify the money being spent on it.

Rolling Eyes ~Sighs~.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I have with Alita being CG is the eyes. The biggest problem with trying to pass a cgi charater off as human is that the eyes tend to look rather... dead. Final Fantasy and Polar Express and others can't seem to do. It's the biggest thing stumping cgi animators right now. Gally, no matter how real looking, will stand out because of her eyes.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree. I read one review of Polar Express that called the film a "zombie train," which makes me giggle. I think they are starting to slowly overcome that issue.. FF: Advent Children is looking pretty good and alive from what I've seen, though it's hard to tell from only seeing flashy trailers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The Incredibles did well, because it was smart enough to leech off the superhero market. Cars might not be so lucky.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The Incredibles did well, because it was smart enough to leech off the superhero market. Cars might not be so lucky.

Yeah, and "Bug's Life" did well because it was was smart enough to leech off the insect market. And as for Cars, it might appeal to the "Nascar" crowd. [/sarcasm off]
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

And I remember the days when people regarded Pixar as successful because they had talented minds behind their projects. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, why does it seem like The Incredibles is taking more cynical flak from people than previous Pixar efforts? What, is everyone now bored with Pixar like they got bored with Disney, so they're gonna start ripping on them for no real reason? Geez...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote
If Pixar didn't get greedy and think they were the next Lucas, not to mention following the Disney plan of releasing an animated film yearly, instead of every few years, they'd still be respected.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
So whose respect did they lose, exactly? Critics seem to still love them. Fans certainly still love them. Animation experts, professors, and students alike seem to still love them (hell, the film's hitting theatres was practically the "event of the year" among everyone in AIA's MA&A Department, and not a one was disappointed in it).

Whose respect did they lose? Pissy cynical fanboys like yourself? Ooooh, big loss. Rolling Eyes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
they'd still be respected.

They aren't respected?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa + tempest: They lost Eisner's respect, and their place at Disney. Pixar can brag all they want about their box office, but they wouldn't be half as successful without the Disney name on their products.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Nagisa + tempest: They lost Eisner's respect, and their place at Disney. Pixar can brag all they want about their box office, but they wouldn't be half as successful without the Disney name on their products.

Considering Eisner is going to be retiring soon, who really cares? Pixar succeed and are well-known and respected because they produce quality CG films and what not, not simply because they are being backed by Disney.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Wait they lost Eisner's respect????

Laff, that's 1 person. And hardly an unbiased one.

As for Disney's name, sure, it might have sold a few tickets & DVDs, but I think Disney's money is what helped them a lot more...

anyways, this is OT. Talk about Cameroon, Battle Angel, Anime, whatever, but not Pixar and Disney.

-t
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
<snip>

Now, for "Battle Angel'. I think it's possible that the future of other big-budgeted anime adaptations like "Akira", "Dragon Ball Z" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion" will depend on the success of this movie (assuming it will go into production soon). Other projects could be put on hold, so that producers could see how well this movie performs at the box office. That, of course, is just a speculation on my part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5