• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-02-18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely my favorite one ever! Loved it from the first panel.

At first I was unsure what to make of the animation style in Gankutsuou. I found it so gosh-darn dISstRactINg all the time. But now I just think it turned out really beautiful and it fits in with the overall ornate and intricate feel of the series.

I'm glad to hear so many love Gankutsuou. It's one of my all-time favorites. I'm surprised to hear so many of you've seen it. I don't know anyone who has, although the show is brilliant. Wonder why.
escahime65

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I never had any problems when I watched Gankutsuou, but then I love optical illusions and how they mess with your head.

To anyone having problems with it, try focusing on the characters' faces instead of their clothing. It might help.

I think everyone should at least give the show a try because it is awesome in so many ways! The story, the music, the acting....I could go on and on...... Definite masterpiece!
skyechan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
But since we're on the subject of tripping animation. Try 'Thief and Cobbler'.

I love you. xD I don't think I've ever heard Thief and the Cobbler mentioned on an anime board before.

Gankutsuou was a blind-buy for me about a year or so ago. Absolutely adored it. <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Poor girl.... I've seen someone do something like that once... it ain't pretty......lol... Laughing
miggie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
If anything, this only further ENCOURAGES me to check out Gankutsuou! Anime hyper

Stream it on netflix baby!
Fake Alias

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I always thought that that texturing was a bit of an ugly stunt. But im sure it has the intended effect of drawing attention to the anime. Good comic.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
BTW Everyone should go watch Gankutsuou. It's amazing. And gorgeous.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:

Everyone? This week's strip paints it as something a little odd for my tastes, at least visually. Can it be appealing even to those who don't have a pre-existing appreciation for more adventurous visual styles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy That's GrEaT! Omg. I died laughing because I thought the same thing(s) about Gankutsuou's art style as Nina! Minus the barfing of course. Cool
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Can it be appealing even to those who don't have a pre-existing appreciation for more adventurous visual styles?

Suggest you rent it first. Adventurous is a key word. But I do suggest you rent it. If you do like it, you will thank us.
kureshii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Loved this comic ^^ It was exactly why I dropped Gankutsuou... nothing against it, but the texture style made my head spin.

Zetsubou used it to some extent, but only on clothing textures and some other textures, as far as I can recall. Not on backgrounds, in any case; I finished the first two seasons and felt ok so I can attest that it definitely didn't use it to the extent that Gankutsuou did.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
atlanime wrote:
It's like Chowder!

Except not dumb. Actually most stuff is dumb compared to Gankutsuou. It's based off of a high class French book.

And some who read the original novel grew to hate the changes in the last few eps.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Maryohki wrote:

Everyone? This week's strip paints it as something a little odd for my tastes, at least visually. Can it be appealing even to those who don't have a pre-existing appreciation for more adventurous visual styles?

The visual style is unusual, but doesn't experiment all the time: it just finds one weird way to texture things and keeps it.

But the story is not at all experimental or out there. It's a very faithful adaptation of the book (albeit in the future and with the lead character focus shifted) and told pretty classically.

Quote:
And some who read the original novel grew to hate the changes in the last few eps.

And there's that. I was one of the some. Still love the show, but their reimagined ending...should not have been quite so imaginative.
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
This comic has made me want to check out Gankutsuou.

I didn't feel sick watching Cloverfield even though most of my friends did, so I'm sure I could handle this too. Anime smile
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Maryohki wrote:

Yes, because it isn't really 'adventurous'. As Jesu said, it picks a style and sticks to it, and you should quickly get used to it.
To be honest, I find the idea that people could actually find it causes motion sickness to be somewhat baffling - since I do suffer from motion sickness, but I had no problems with this.
It's beautiful in a number of aspects (though obviously not flawless). One of the only anime that I've ranked as a masterpiece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5