• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Moe Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, moe doesn't mean anything.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
But what other word are we supposed to use for series we don't like or make us feel awkward? We might actually have to think rather than use a convenient blanket-label!
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Negima's first anime was bad, only good thing was ep 21 and the Konoka and Setsuna backstory staying faithful to the manga.

Yes the 2nd anime is better, Funimation puts it as season 2 when it is a different anime using the same characters. It is a better re-telling using new plot, (look at Negima!?:Neo as it's based off that)

Akamatsu had to overview the people working on the White Wing OVDs, in order for the manga to be faithfully made in to anime.
Warrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well hey now, those are some pretty handsome looking collections! Thanks for sending those in!

That reminds me of Lorne from Angel:

"Well, those were some exciting products, am I right? Let's all think about buying some of those."
TheGoddesswatcher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Monster in a box wrote:
But what other word are we supposed to use for series we don't like or make us feel awkward? We might actually have to think rather than use a convenient blanket-label!

Its still Moe, thats the label that it has to get. By the way I am not a fan of those series. Its just to cute for me.

Last edited by TheGoddesswatcher on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
But what other word are we supposed to use for series we don't like or make us feel awkward?

This statement makes a whole lot of sense given that two of the five items reviewed in this article got favourable reviews and were both identified as moe. Yep, that's probably ANN's famous institutional anti-moe bias at work.

I just watched episode 1 of Air, and I appreciated the dub. Yukito (Vic Mignogna) wasn't exactly stellar, but he wasn't bad either, Monica Rial was good as Misuzu (very funny, but the 'gao' was understandably stilted) but Kano (Stephanie Wittels) stole the show. I look forward to hearing Stephanie Wittels' rendition of Misaki in 'Welcome to the NHK' when I get 'round to watching it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:

Yes, it does. People just don't use it accurately, instead slapping it on anything they don't like (much like its anagram, "emo").

Honestly, I don't have a problem with a moe character here and there, but some of these shows (not all) the entire female cast is moe, and I start wishing at least a few would grow spines and not need a man around to help save them. It's the overkill on moe that I find annoying, not the idea itself.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Rednal wrote:
Hmm. I haven't watched either Air or Kanon, though I've heard a lot about them. I guess I prefer happy endings, or thereabouts.

Kanon has a happy-ish ending...
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
One of these day's I hope we get an accurate review of a Nanoha series. No disrespect to the person who did the review but you should consider looking thru the series again as you missed several things and got the main plot completely wrong.

Quote:
In Magical Lyrical Nanoha, and now in Magical Lyrical Nanoha A's, we learned that magic doesn't always have to come from magic school or natural born talent. Apparently all you need is a magical computer in the shape of a magical ball or some kind of magical jewel.

In both seasons they mentioned multiple times that Nanoha has an exceptionally strong natural talent when it comes to magic as well as stating that people train hard to develop their skills. We are even introduced to 2 of the trainers one of the other mages had for melee and ranged attacks whom play a major part in the story. The begininnig of A's even opens with Nanoha practicing her control to improve her skills.

Quote:
The basic premise is that Fate, Nanoha's friend, is coming to visit. But unexpectedly, a team of magic knights is also visiting. Commanded by some sickly girl in a wheelchair, they are absorbing people's magic powers and storing them in some old magic book.

I'm sorry but this just annoys me. Its completely OPPOSITE of what's actually happening. This old magic book is actually an intelligent weapon that uses its current wielder and 4 knights which act as a protection system to gather enough magical energy to activate and unleash its full power. Most of its previous masters had no problems with this and gladly cooperated. It's current master however wants nothing to do with fighting and SPECIFICALLY told the Knight NOT to fight. They chose to disobey her for reasons that cannot be said without spoiling the show. This was shown multiple times with the Knights keeping their activities secret from their master.

Nanoha and her friends were a target in the first episode and after that they weren't a target anymore. They were only attacked when they tried to interfere.

Either way this review was definitely far better then the previous one which didn't have any merit at all.
MRLN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:

I'm pretty sure it can be roughly translated into turn-on factors. According to Haruhi, at least.

When I watched Air, I always thought it was too short. It might be to keep it mystical and enigmatic and such, but it left me wanting more. Kanon (2006), on the other hand, tied everything together very well at the end, spoiler[and everybody who died didn't. ] (is it a spoiler?)

But everyone knows the best moe anime based on a Key game is Clannad.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
MRLN wrote:
But everyone knows the best moe anime based on a Key game is Clannad.

Clannad
Arithmetic mean: 8.7425 (Excellent-.25), std. dev.: 1.6932, rank: #79
Weighted mean: 8.5867 (Excellent-.41), rank: #95
Bayesian estimate: 8.58177 (Excellent-.41), rank: #40
Clannad After Story
Arithmetic mean: 8.4189 (Very good+.41), std. dev.: 2.9778, rank: #192
Weighted mean: 8.9525 (Excellent-.04), rank: #47
Bayesian estimate: 8.93481 (Excellent-.06), rank: #3
Air (TV)
Arithmetic mean: 8.2284 (Very good+.22), std. dev.: 1.933, rank: #298
Weighted mean: 7.9986 (Very good-.00), rank: #372
Bayesian estimate: 7.99723 (Very good-.00), rank: #225
Air (movie)
Arithmetic mean: 7.5812 (Very good-.41), std. dev.: 1.8347, rank: #830
Weighted mean: 7.3964 (Good+.39), rank: #880
Bayesian estimate: 7.39747 (Good+.39), rank: #692
Kanon (2002)
Arithmetic mean: 7.2824 (Good+.28), std. dev.: 2.087, rank: #1232
Weighted mean: 7.113 (Good+.11), rank: #1233
Bayesian estimate: 7.11717 (Good+.11), rank: #1090
Kanon (2006)
Arithmetic mean: 8.801 (Excellent-.19), std. dev.: 1.9015, rank: #70
Weighted mean: 8.729 (Excellent-.27), rank: #67
Bayesian estimate: 8.72355 (Excellent-.27), rank: #17

I'll leave it to someone with stats knowledge to determine which is highest rated (whether that means best is up for grabs, given the 90% rule applied to viewers).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Eh, personally I'd have it like:

Air
Clannad ~After Story~
Kanon 2006
Clannad

Air TV just has so much more atmosphere and more of a cohesive storyline what with Kanna's feathers and every event related back into one. Some people just don't seem to make the connections I guess =\

After Story episodes 12-21 are absolutely amazing, but the rest of the series isn't quite as great.

Kanon just felt like a checklist of all the girls that Yuuichi had interacted with back when he was little.

Clannad was just a precursor for After Story, as there was no real main drama plot, other than Nagisa trying to resurrect the drama club.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, I don't have a problem with a moe character here and there, but some of these shows (not all) the entire female cast is moe, and I start wishing at least a few would grow spines and not need a man around to help save them.

I agree both in regards to the moe character and the harem genre. I do, however, think that strong writing trumps terminal cuteness in most cases. I think Air (TV) is better written than Kanon even though it takes some research to understand a lot of the religious/myth aspects and because of this the moe factor isn't as evident (also Tomokazu Sugita voicing Yuuichi kinda made it feel to me like this was how Kyon, from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya which I saw before Kanon, spent his last vacation.)

After three attempts I have yet to successfully get through the first Nagima, maybe I'll try the second one. And although I enjoyed the first Magical Lyrical Nanoha, "Dia Mahou Touge" pretty much destroyed any chance of my taking the genre seriously.

Speaking of Kyon, watching Kyoto's Air and Kanon makes Haruhi's moe lecture to Kyon even more hilarious.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, I don't have a problem with a moe character here and there, but some of these shows (not all) the entire female cast is moe, and I start wishing at least a few would grow spines and not need a man around to help save them.

After three attempts I have yet to successfully get through the first Nagima, maybe I'll try the second one. And although I enjoyed the first Magical Lyrical Nanoha, "Dia Mahou Touge" pretty much destroyed any chance of my taking the genre seriously.

Speaking of Kyon, watching Kyoto's Air and Kanon makes Haruhi's moe lecture to Kyon even more hilarious.

But Dai Mahou Touge is a parody of the genre, its not a magical girl show at all
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* This week's selection just reminds me that one of these days I need to put the books down and work on my DVD backlog too ... or at least long enough to clean & shelve everything sitting around.

A little surprised that the Air movie didn't get stuck in the series box for a complete set packaging. Then again ... *insert rant on still no official Kanon volume-5 release yet* ... Hmm, guess that means I rank Air highest, as the only series to receive a complete R1 release with dub. Works for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7