• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop recent quality issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:02 am Reply with quote
Another minor but still annoying error. In the Ultimate Edition Vol. 3 of Furuba, they repeat one of the chapter titles, making it seem as though there are only 5 chapters, with one 60+ page chapter.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
TP's problems would be solved by firing their web developers. :D

HyugaHinata wrote:
Another minor but still annoying error. In the Ultimate Edition Vol. 3 of Furuba, they repeat one of the chapter titles, making it seem as though there are only 5 chapters, with one 60+ page chapter.
I'm pretty sure I recall noticing this somewhere in the regular volumes somewhere in the middle, too. Can't remember where but it threw me off for a few minutes.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
TP's problems would be solved by firing their web developers. Very Happy

Agreed! Perhaps Funi or Viz could gobble them up. Wink

Veers wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:
I'm pretty sure I recall noticing this somewhere in the regular volumes somewhere in the middle, too. Can't remember where but it threw me off for a few minutes.

Yeah. They're very unprofessional. Surely they were informed by fans or their own staff!
Extalia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
What I don't understand is how Tokyopop has survived for so long. I was pretty sure that when they first printed Sailor Moon in low quality that it all went down hill from there. And yet in 2000-2009 they can still get away with some or many low quality releases. I'm just hopiing that the translations are as close to the original as possible with the pages to match. Tokyopop talks about their"100% authentic manga"yet here I am reading my favourite manga Loveless with the fictional organization "Seven Moons" in Lovwless translated as "Seven Voices." The sound effects don't help either. Whatever happened to 100% customer satiffaction guaranteed? If TP actually cared for its authenticity it would go to reprint some or most of its manga for the fans.(with better translations and original pages) Otherwise, those who continue to buy TP are just flattering TP and allowing it to continue on its low quality status. The day I stop complaining is the day TP realizes they need to change. Which reminds me that I should start returning some books....
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Today, while looking through the manga section at my local Barns and Noble, I decided to see just how bad the tokyopop products have become (I usually don't pay attention to many tokyopop manga). I was shocked by the failure of quality in manga after manga. It seemed like no series was spared from my disappointment. I couldn't even bring myself to buy Future Diary, which I have been looking forward to for some time. I have to say that if this continues tokyopop will lose a lot of it's fan base. I know I wont be buying from them if this is what they try to sell to me. And I know I'm not alone in thinking this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hypersoda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really noticed the paper thing. Maybe I'm just too careless to notice though.

However, I have been noting some bad translations (someone mentioned it earlier), but even more grammatical errors. That's why I didn't buy volume 2 of Kyo Kara Maoh! I had heard about the mistakes and everything, and surely enough, I already saw a few after flipping through some pages at my local bookstore.
naniwhale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed the paper being really thin on my new Ju oh sei manga vol. 3 book I Just got. Wow insane how much thinner it is compared to the last issues of vol. 1 and 2 of the same series. I don't really care too much about the pages as long as they continue the series they produce. My issue with Tokyo pop is cancellations of manga series right in the middle of a series. That’s my beef with them. So they can print as poorly as they want but please don’t cancel a good series in the middle of it. If I ever finish my manga I’m collecting from them. I won’t buy from them again Sad
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
The Life manga has the least text among any manga I`ve read, and I`d love to see it released. It`s certainly shocking and controversial, but it recently finished in Japan with 20 volumes.

I'm praying that they start releasing Life again. I need my fix.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
In Stuckinfresno's posted reply from Tokyopop, Tokyopop's reply said that they were using the same outer cover paper, but I'm not entirely convinced. The cover paper seemed to want to bend outward more than the normal covers on the previous ones and it felt thinner to me too. I don't just think it was because the paper was thinner either, if anything the thinner paper should have made the covers feel thicker than normal, but they felt thinner than normal to me still. Seriously, the cardstock I use in my papercrafts all the time felt thicker and are less affected by just sitting on the shelf than these.

I didn't buy the "no change" reply from TP either. I think the covers are thinner as well. The only proof you need is to find an older TP volume of a long running series (Samurai Deeper, Fruits Basket, Pet Shop) and compare the two covers by touch. The newer volumes are very flimsy. It is so disappointing that the price goes up but the quality goes down. (Seems like it should be the other way around Laughing .)
Highway Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I was holding a recent volume of Sgt. Frog in my hands yesterday, and the paper was so flimsy the book just slipped out of my grip. I definitely didn't see that happening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:
The Life manga has the least text among any manga I`ve read, and I`d love to see it released. It`s certainly shocking and controversial, but it recently finished in Japan with 20 volumes.

I'm praying that they start releasing Life again. I need my fix.

I left them a message on their page for volume 9, but no reply so far. I'll try emailing them one day (hopefully soon) - I can translate it for them pro bono, but only if they don't give me any deadlines. Razz
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Uh-oh, what about V.B. Rose?? I haven't spent any $$ on Tokyopop since about March, so I didn't know about paper cuts (haha paper cuts... Laughing ). My friend bought the 1st vol. of Maid-sama last month & it looked fine, when did this happen? I hope Tokyopop goes under quick and another company takes its good series right away!
Mad Mad Mad
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of paper cuts, I have experienced cuts from books with bloody SHARP METAL PIECES in the centre, for who-knows-why! It's ridiculous, since the vast majority of books don't have it.

I'd rather not risk tetanus.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
shoujogirl wrote:
Uh-oh, what about V.B. Rose?? I haven't spent any $$ on Tokyopop since about March, so I didn't know about paper cuts (haha paper cuts... :lol: ). My friend bought the 1st vol. of Maid-sama last month & it looked fine, when did this happen? I hope Tokyopop goes under quick and another company takes its good series right away!
:x :x :x

Noooooo, don't hope for Tokyopop to go under! That would be terrible! I mean, if that happened, it's more likely we would never see most of the series they had licensed again, because it's not like other companies can afford to be just picking up licenses left and right, aside from maybe a few really top sellers.

I don't know if or when the paper quality will revert back to something a bit more sturdy, but as long as I get to read manga I'll be happy (I was devastated when VB Rose was put on hiatus—so thrilled it's getting released after all now!). Maid Sama! was printed on the lower-quality paper, so if you've seen that and didn't have a problem with it, you don't need to worry about the new stuff being printed any "worse" than that. I kinda like that it's easier to hold the pages open now. Those Viz and DelRey books are just so darn heavy!

HyugaHinata—yikes! That sounds scary. Could it have been something that the book seller put in as an anti-theft device? I've seen magnet-sticker type things in manga from Borders/B&N, but never sharp metal pieces...
Truered

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Just had my first experience with it today. +Anima 5 and 6 turned up:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/trueredesu/DCP_4961.jpg
(sorry for the naff picture)

The picture doesn't quite do justice- even though I knew about the drops in size etc, I had to check each volume- volume 6 is at most ten pages longer, probably less.

Volume 5 just bends without resistance and opening it to read offers the least resistance from the spine I think I've ever had from a none second hand book.

Most annoyingly vols. 1-4 and 6 are normal, but 5 is the iffy one...and I'm more then slightly OCD Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8