• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

And I agree with the second part, I think we need some info dumping, or at the very least some kind of exposition.

>Show Infodumps

"GODDAMMIT WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE STANDING AROUND AND TALKING"

>Show doesn't infodump

"I DON"T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME RIGHT THIS MINUTE!"
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

And I agree with the second part, I think we need some info dumping, or at the very least some kind of exposition.

>Show Infodumps

>Show doesn't infodump

"I DON"T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME RIGHT THIS MINUTE!"

LOL that is the beautiful catch 22. From the new world is providing us with JUST barely enough atm but it has a lot more that it needs to tell us.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Now you understand why so many of us writers are perpetually depressed. We can never win.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Now you understand why so many of us writers are perpetually depressed. We can never win.

I still don't understand the eva guys depression
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

>Show Infodumps

>Show doesn't infodump

A good portion of any piece of fiction that has world building in it, will be exposition. It's only when this exposition isn't very good that people complain about it.

Spending more than half the episode just trying to keep track of what each term means is not something I want to do. It's not a very good "hook" for the story and it's not good storytelling.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

>Show Infodumps

>Show doesn't infodump

It's almost as if there's a happy place somewhere in between these two options that competent writers have somehow figured out!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It's almost as if there's a happy place somewhere in between these two options that competent writers have somehow figured out!

I'm not talking about the shows (many of which do find competent middle grounds), I'm talking about the reactions.

Anyone who watches one episode of anything more complex than K-On, and complains they don't understand what is going on, can quite kindly shove it.

Stories require you to pay attention, if you can't handle that, don't watch complicated stuff. (especially things adapted from media that aren't constrained by the 24 minute episode format, like Shin Sekai Yori).
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

I'm not talking about the shows (many of which do find competent middle grounds), I'm talking about the reactions.

Anyone who watches one episode of anything more complex than K-On, and complains they don't understand what is going on, can quite kindly shove it.

Stories require you to pay attention, if you can't handle that, don't watch complicated stuff. (especially things adapted from media that aren't constrained by the 24 minute episode format, like Shin Sekai Yori).

I really love the assumptions being made at the people who are criticizing it. I must somehow be a simpleton if I don't fully understand what the hell is happening in the first episode. For the record I was able to follow the events of the first episode for the most part, but a lot of shit went down that wasn't properly put into context.

Also: I don't care if the show is an adaptation of War and Piece, it should stand on it's own. You shouldn't make excuses because it's an adaptation.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
but a lot of shit went down that wasn't properly put into context.

And? That happens in stories. Context is not required at time of event.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

It is when you wanna hook your audience, which is what first episodes are supposed to do.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

It is when you wanna hook your audience, which is what first episodes are supposed to do.

It sure hooked me.

The story gave enough information for what we've seen so far. We don't need to know all of the details of how it got from five-thousand or whatever years ago until the current time. Or know every little detail about the current world.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

Huh? Thats a completely separate issue.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The purpose of a first episode is to make you watch the second. From the New World definitely did that. It introduced the characters, gave us glimpses as to the setting, had an unsettling tone which suggests horrible things have happened and will happen, and gives us three mysteries to solve (two - the dog and the missing girl - are linked, the other is what happened to the planet and how).

That's plenty enough. I don't expect the first episode to throw everything at me all at once, nor do I want it to throw me in the deep end without a flashlight (i.e. being kept in the dark). From the New World gave us enough information that we understand some of what is happening while still holding most of its cards to its chest. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The purpose of a first episode is to make you watch the second. From the New World definitely did that. It introduced the characters, gave us glimpses as to the setting, had an unsettling tone which suggests horrible things have happened and will happen, and gives us three mysteries to solve (two - the dog and the missing girl - are linked, the other is what happened to the planet and how).

That's plenty enough. I don't expect the first episode to throw everything at me all at once, nor do I want it to throw me in the deep end without a flashlight (i.e. being kept in the dark). From the New World gave us enough information that we understand some of what is happening while still holding most of its cards to its chest. And there's nothing wrong with that.

don't forget the whole business with them saying the magic was cursed, and that you need to get rid of it to reclaim it and how it is to be cherished, also don't forget the first minute of that show, it will come up sooner or later.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

don't forget the whole business with them saying the magic was cursed, and that you need to get rid of it to reclaim it and how it is to be cherished,

Well that part is very much related to Buddhist doctrine, which I gather from the garb being worn, is still playing a major role in this story's setting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 55