• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Mermaid Rei & Asuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
I kinda like these... and I don't even like Eva that much. But- I know why! It's the translucent parts- they catch the light. And the metallic paint on the fins.

In short, I like them becuase they're shiny. I think that might be the Evil Marketing Ploy here- ingore sensibility, just make it shiny! Laughing
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

I think I'll pass on these and save my money on something better. Like this http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYPP-334

Oh thta one is very nice too! I think its a movie 2 figure, right? One day I`ll get just a normal plug suit version of the two :p
Magamish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
They are indeed pretty, but I agree that the two legs being formed for the sake of some lame V-line is reaaaally lame.
I too have a penchant for strange Rei figures, it perhaps ties so well into her being ripe for alternative world/human personality thing.
Asuka's just...Asuka. A failed genius emo cutter that's too tsundere for her own good. =/

That being said, despite the negativity in the beginning of the article that some people bitched about, the content itself was quite good. Thorough at least. =3

Last edited by Magamish on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluedrakon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I actually saw these at a con this weekend and was like wha?

Anything to make money on the Evangelion franchise
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Loganator456 wrote:
I agree. Rob is just being meh in this one. The whole "callous, only like awesome anime like Eva, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Trigun, etc. and bash ANY others, especially the ecchi/romantic comedy/comedies, etc." really gets on my nerves. I'm tired of it.

Uh... you may have missed the point there. She wasn't ragging on Rob.

And if you don't like the column, stop reading it. At no point is he suddenly going to start heaping praise on ecchi magical girl statues. That should be very clear by now.

Is that so?

animenewsnetwork.com/astro-toy/2009-05-31/with-rob-bricken/dark-pucelle-by-enterbrain

Razz

Maybe not "heaping praise," but that was a pretty positive review overall.
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I love them! I think they're pretty. And yeah, I wouldn't mind having the neko Eva figures Rob trashed a while back.

The Neko figures are soooo... fricken cute, I love the Asuka. It looks like she was hunting the little fish cracker. Kawaii!!! Anyway the neko figs and the mermaids are both precious and totally worth the money!!
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, I think I might buy those! Laughing They look pretty cute/cool to me!

I just love that Rob said "Who would buy these!?', and look at all the comments of people who are interested! Cool
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Jadress wrote:
While I haven't seen clown or hobo Rei & Asuka figures yet, I feel like I actually HAVE seen gladiator ones at some point. I swear!
Yup. I got the gladiator one. I remember arguing with a friend who said it was a Spartan Rei and I had to have it, but I argued it was more roman and gladiator. Meanwhile Asuka was pretty much in a Xena outfit. I almost got that one too because it was just a bizzare pseudo crossover.

What, really? Do you have pics? Google image searches of "spartan rei" and "gladiator rei" got me nothing. Guuuuuh, this stupid thread has me craving more Rei figures, like a moth to a flame. I really want this Rei as Eva-01 (link nsfw (of course (oh, Japan))).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Here's I think the whole thing. The Gladiator Rei is just below the tall one on the right, next to the military one. Pretty sure it's a Sega one.

Here's a pic I found. It's called "Evangelion Rei Special Mission Gladiator Action Figure" in the same line as the ninja and military ones I guess.

Meanwhile, in Japan, I saw this display of the bride ones and was tempted to get it for the sheer oddity. Plus I could pose her next to, say, Deadpool for laughs.

I do also have a smaller Misato collection.
Apashi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Idk, I think they're kind of pretty. I'd definitely buy one if they were like, $5 (or less). Although I do agree, my first impression was "... why?" too. Haha I hope they make a squid Rei.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
sweet collection

Let it be known that I'm extremely jealous of your Misato collection. Makes me wish that I had started collecting figures a few years sooner, so that I too could have a sweet Misato collection.
Also, your Lilith UFO Catcher is awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4