• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Paradise Found

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
First of all, welcome back, Bamboo!

Second, about the Stream: it's effectively dead for me now. I understand the reasoning for the changes, but one of the most useful aspects of it was that it allowed us to see how a streamed series progressed throughout the season. I could see if it got better or worse as time went on, and if I'd delayed in starting a series (which I frequently do), I could use it to decide if I wanted to change that stance or if I should just write off a series entirely. The reduced scope and less frequent updates pretty much put the kabosh on that.

So, it's a shame that the Stream will become a lot less relevant, but I suppose we can't have everything, and Bamboo needs her rest. Razz
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I am a little worried about The Stream. My concern is that the same shows may make the "top 5", while some of the newer shows may never get a proper write-up simply due to them not making the top cut. I found The Stream very informative as to what I should put into my queue, given that I have a limited amount of free time. I'm going to miss that.

Thanks for your input! I'll try and figure out a balanced way to do everything and not just write about the same five shows. There might be a slight adjustment period, but I do understand what you're saying, and I agree with your concerns.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Second, about the Stream: it's effectively dead for me now. I understand the reasoning for the changes, but one of the most useful aspects of it was that it allowed us to see how a streamed series progressed throughout the season. I could see if it got better or worse as time went on, and if I'd delayed in starting a series (which I frequently do), I could use it to decide if I wanted to change that stance or if I should just write off a series entirely. The reduced scope and less frequent updates pretty much put the kabosh on that.

So, it's a shame that the Stream will become a lot less relevant, but I suppose we can't have everything, and Bamboo needs her rest. Razz

Such doubt!! I'll try my best to make it still relevant. I think you will see that the Stream will not change that much, and I hope it will still be useful.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
I too have my concerns about the Stream's change, but I have faith that Bamboo will make it work.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Such doubt!! I'll try my best to make it still relevant. I think you will see that the Stream will not change that much, and I hope it will still be useful.

Help us, Bamboo-Dong Kenobi! You're our only hope! Smile

Well, I *am* a pretty pessimistic guy. I'll be happy to be proven wrong on this one, and I certainly intend to follow the Stream regardless, because something is much better than nothing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Just adding my two cents that I'm happy that Bamboo is looking at ways to incorporate both Shelf Life and a re-worked version of The Stream. I liked the conceptual framework of The Stream, but the reality is to keep something like that going requires a truly monster amount of work. Back when Bamboo first unveiled The Stream, I knew any human undertaking it was inviting gibbering insanity in their lives. It would be a different story if Japan only came up with, like, 10 new shows a season, but the output is much, much higher.
archaron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
Welcome back Bamboo and good job on this weeks Shelf life.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I am a little worried about The Stream. My concern is that the same shows may make the "top 5", while some of the newer shows may never get a proper write-up simply due to them not making the top cut. I found The Stream very informative as to what I should put into my queue, given that I have a limited amount of free time. I'm going to miss that.

Thanks for your input! I'll try and figure out a balanced way to do everything and not just write about the same five shows. There might be a slight adjustment period, but I do understand what you're saying, and I agree with your concerns.

Wow! Thank you! That is a relief, since The Stream has really helped me out, the single most useful column on ANN, and has directed me to watch a few shows I might have passed on. For example: Chihiyafuru, Hunter X Hunter and Tari Tari --You have no idea how grateful I am for this... Anime smile + sweatdrop
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite ashamed to say that I'd never heard about Detroit Metal City until I read this week's Shelf Life. It sounds hilarious so it's definitely going on my must-have list.

Love The Stream but I'm not surprised that the format will be changed. It must be one hell of a job to do.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Wow! Thank you! That is a relief, since The Stream has really helped me out, the single most useful column on ANN, and has directed me to watch a few shows I might have passed on. For example: Chihiyafuru, Hunter X Hunter and Tari Tari --You have no idea how grateful I am for this... Anime smile + sweatdrop

I agree, with these selections, which I too would not have watched if not for the preview guide, but mostly due to your reviews in the stream. However, some of those stayed near the top. An example of a great show that I was motivated to watch was Kuroko no Basuke, where the excitement that you conveyed through your reviews convinced me to watch it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in your top 5, though. So I don't know if I would have watched it if I hadn't had your firey reviews or if it was relegated to a single sentence update.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Just may check out DMC, as I'm always up for good and insane comedy. I've heard a few things about freezing but nothing to make me go "ALRIGHT LETS JUMP IN!!" I'll probably get around to it at some point, and when ever that is, I'll have to make certian my folks are NOWHERE around.

thinking about it I do have to head out to collage next year...
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back Bamboo! I miss Erin but I know she's busy. Although I'm sad that your not going back to reviewing hentai! That was the funniest part of pre-Erin shelf life!
Faceman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back as well, Bamboo. Erin did a great job, but it's good to have you back. You're my favorite non-perpetually-angry ANN staffer Wink
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Welcome back Bamboo.

Enjoyed reading the first set of reviews.

The Mass Effect one was a pleasant surprise, I'm looking forward to seeing that even more now.
chloes_fork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Josh's collection: Oh god!, tacks through the Madoka posters?! You put holes in the Madoka Posters!? Just seeing that viscerally hurts, like you punched those tacks through my very soul. And yes, I know that's not how you use the word viscerally. How could you man, come on! Nah, 'tis alright. But next time, pick up some cheap frames and matboard from the nearest Hobby Lobby and do yourself and your room a favor.

Sound counsel. I acquired a Japanese promo poster for Mezzo Forte, stuck it up with tacks, and have regretted it ever since. Mild regret, that is-- I mean, it's not hairshirt time or anything, but still.

Fortunately, I had better sense with a lovely Meiko Kaji poster I bought and put that one in a poster frame. Looks much nicer, plus doesn't damage the poster, even minimally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6