• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chi's Puffs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not trying to be insulting but I looked at the pics of the collection and was not impressed-mostly all I see is manga and statues, my collection is almost 100% anime dvds and a few tapes. $3000 per month is al lot to spend on a hobby. At my peak anime buying period I was spending maybe 400 to 500 bucks a month on anime dvds-there comes a point where you run out of space or realize that your collection is getting unwieldy and you'll never be able to realistically watch it all-that's where I am right now. As for DBE-no way would I waste my time or money watching such a piece of tripe.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Yes, I agree. His collection sucks because it's not exactly what I'd put in my collection.

Boooooooo! Boooooooooo! Hissssssss!

[/sarcasm]
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
he's 20 years old and he's spending $3000 a month on anime and games???? this kid probably has some really awesome parents! as tempting as it is id NEVER EVER piss away that much on anime related things in a month. you should start saving your money tim! i dont think you will be watching much magical girl lyrical nanoha when you are 50 Very Happy being a full time employee and college student if i make $3000 in a month its a blessing. im pretty sure i got you beat on the hdtv though Wink
zatheus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
If I moved back in with my parents I could almost compete with him...... but my parents would ask why I was moving back in and when I gave them that reason they would kick me out. Laughing Granted if I could do that my parents would not want my anime collection spilling into their living room. Its only grown even more so since I moved out.
Ravenschwann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
PEOPLE!
Thats my collection, for some reason, I couldn't get to my old account.
Anyways, I haven't had time to read all the bashing about my collection.
Theres a typo there, its "2k" I'm really really really really sorry about that.
And most are you are asking how I could spend all of that on this, well, if you look beside my TV. I have figures, and Nendoroids. Does anyone know the prices of these things? Including shipping? cause I do, and its expensive. I have tons of stuff on pre-order as well. And when I said I first started collecting of this year, I ment figures only. Everything else has been awhile.
I don't watch all the anime I buy. Everything I buy though are things I like. I haven't read all the manga I own.
I work a lot, and I mean a lot. We own a restaurant. OWN it. so its a lot of work. I will reply to post from here on out. when I have time, its back to work for me.
And might I add, that I buy games as well? don't play them all.
And its not like I have no life, I spend quite a bit on clothing.
oh, and I don't go to school, I've been working before and after I've left highschool. 6 days a week. Do the math.
Ravenschwann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I'm not trying to be insulting but I looked at the pics of the collection and was not impressed-mostly all I see is manga and statues, my collection is almost 100% anime dvds and a few tapes. $3000 per month is al lot to spend on a hobby. At my peak anime buying period I was spending maybe 400 to 500 bucks a month on anime dvds-there comes a point where you run out of space or realize that your collection is getting unwieldy and you'll never be able to realistically watch it all-that's where I am right now. As for DBE-no way would I waste my time or money watching such a piece of tripe.
Whats wrong with manga and figures? I have games too. And My anime isn't displayed very well if you can see, its all really crammed into those shelves. Not really crammed either. I don't care much for my anime collection, but I really do take pride in my manga collection.

As for the Code Geass R2, I had collected the limited edition Code Geass R1 dvds, then watched them all at once, loved the epic series, and couldn't wait another year to watch R2, so I did the unsaid, dis-respectful thing everyone else does, and watched fansubs. So hate me, its not like I'm not going to buy R2 when its out. I love having my fav series in my collection.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Don't take it too hard, Raven, I for one think your collection rocks and wish mine were as big (got around 150 DVDs, 100 manga volumes, and 20 figures). Wouldn't mind a digital camera either so I can actually post my shelves. Wink

Your family owns a restaurant? That's pretty cool.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was definitely a respectable collection. I was just trying to unravel the "3k a month" bit.

And 2,000.00 CAD = 1,836.47 USD.
Ravenschwann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I guess I did take it a bit hard, but I do enjoy all this back talk. And hey, I have a nice collection, who cares what others complain about it. Cool
I want to see way more collections though! Big or small, I follow a site called figure.fm, and tons have posted there.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd show mine, but what I have can't truly be called a collection.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ravenschwann wrote:
I guess I did take it a bit hard, but I do enjoy all this back talk. And hey, I have a nice collection, who cares what others complain about it. Cool

Pay them no mind. Anyone who feels the need to bash a collection because the collector doesn't like the same things they do is a weiner.
I for one am jealous, especially of the budget you have. I've just started collecting figures, and if I had $2000 a month (especially working in a restaurant! I work in a restaurant and have nowhere near that expendable income) to spend on them...well, I'd have a lot of figures.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Ravenschwann: Don't take it so hard Raven. They all just jealous. And a bit mystified at the cost is all. I'm surprised people were so surprised by it all. We have all kinds of fans. Collectors, Boxset guys, toy fans, casual fans, hardcores etc etc. I like your collection and all the little figures you had guarding your manga. Smile Hell, there are some weeks where I feel weird that I haven't bought any anime and then go out to get a anime series.

Although I still like that ones guy who's entertainment room was all for anime and manga. That room was awesome.

My collection is supposely big, according to my friends and family, so someday I'll send a pic. I'm getting new shelves and reorganizing everything right now.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Ravenschwann wrote:
I want to see way more collections though! Big or small, I follow a site called figure.fm, and tons have posted there.

I do like that website, primarily because those with comparatively small collections such as myself are seemingly welcomed.
Though this may sound like a lukewarm defence of my situation, there is much to be appreciated about a more modest accumulation of titles. Unless one's tastes are highly broad - which mine aren't - then the titles one's shelf does sport each say a little more about one's tastes than they would do if amidst hundreds of other keep-cases. Of course, the latter case might be a more impressive spectacle overall however, but circumstances vary from person to person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Ravenschwann wrote:

I do like that website, primarily because those with comparatively small collections such as myself are seemingly welcomed.
Though this may sound like a lukewarm defence of my situation, there is much to be appreciated about a more modest accumulation of titles. Unless one's tastes are highly broad - which mine aren't - then the titles one's shelf does sport each say a little more about one's tastes than they would do if amidst hundreds of other keep-cases. Of course, the latter case might be a more impressive spectacle overall however, but circumstances vary from person to person.

There's nothing wrong with a collection filled only with the shows that you really like.
My collection is on the opposite side of the spectrum - a lot of shows that I like, some that I don't, and a ton that I haven't watched yet. The problem with this is - I can't bear to get rid of any of my DVDs, even the ones I hated. I've become so enamored of how pretty they look on the shelf, and how big my collection is that I can't get rid of them.
Your way of collecting sounds a lot less expensive, easier to keep tidy, and like you said, is more of a display of your personal tastes than the large collection that contains everything.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I like collections with special items. Quality, not quantity. Sure, there are huge collections with plenty of quality, but I've seen just as many that were mostly made up of uninteresting things the owner likely bought cheap and can't be bothered to get rid off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4