• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Z Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Ok I have to add into the Sailor Moon bit. I am however excited to say that I've been doing some digging and the vault thing may be ending. Sailor Moon is getting a re-release on tv in Japan this month, and on Italian tv next year. My fangirl really leapt out the the closet when I heard that. Oh and Funimation had a new Sailor Moon dub listed as an option on one of it's recent what do you want polls. (Has her hopeful face on)

I would also love to see Rose of Versailles. It's a great show that is so well loved that a live action show was made in France if memory serves. With all of the goth loli stuff floating around it would probably be a gold mine.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Kaolin_Yatsura wrote:

I would also love to see Rose of Versailles. It's a great show that is so well loved that a live action show was made in France if memory serves. With all of the goth loli stuff floating around it would probably be a gold mine.

It's a movie with a Japanese director, made in France, with English-speaking actors. And it's also pretty awful, but if you're a Rose of Versailles nut like I am, totally worth it. The ending is also unintentionally hilarious, what with them living up to the French stereotype of "give up IMMEDIATELY"...
AnimeAngel00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
That questioner about why US animation isn't producing shows like Japan...that annoyed me for some reason. I don't really know why. Maybe he/she sees Japanese animation superior to US's animation? I don't know....

Does anyone remember MTV's Downtown, Aeon Flux, or Daria? They were mature, fun, sometimes thoughtful, slice-of-life animated series (in my opinion anyway). Downtown was suppose to have a 2nd season, but MTV excutives stated the show didn't bring in the big bucks (unlike MTV's reality shows and live action dramas like "My So Called Life"). Ironically enough, the show won awards and was even high ratings and a strong fan base.

So did Daria. Fan groups are still pleading to have boxsets released. Honestly, I wish US networks would produce more animated series like Downtown, Daria, Dr. Katz, Aeon Flux, and Home Movies Crying or Very sad

They seem comparable to Ranma 1/2, Ghost in the Shell, Shin Chan, NaNa, and so on.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
"Alan wants to see totally bodacious babes shooting guns in shiny disco shorts:

Oh, that's easy...DIRTY PAIR!

Yes, I know the OVAs, the movies (Project Eden et al), and even the DP Flash revamp have been released here in North America. But I'm still waiting for the 26-episode TV series to finally get a long-overdue release here.

I pose the question of its release at the ADV panel at every convention (I ask them because they've released all the other DP stuff). I usually get a "can neither confirm nor deny", "the market is shaky", "it's risky to invest in an older title (understandable; it first aired about 1985)", ad nauseum.

So it continues to be stuck in limbo. And here I sit patiently waiting. Hey, I wouldn't be disappointed if there was no English dub; I'd be happy with a sub-only release.

If nothing else, it could finally be released as part of a complete box set with movies, OVAs, and even the Flash series similar to the recent Nuku Nuku box set."
Where there's a will there's a way! Do what I did-import the R2 dvds and sub them yourself.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Aw I forgot to write in.

I would really like to see an R1 release of Future Boy Conan. Despite its age, it still looks great. Out of any other show I can think of it has the most potential to be successful with kids if aired on TV.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
How about...KINNIKUMAN?

It's not even fansubbed!
VMars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
I completely agree with Brian's reason on why we don't have more shows like Avatar here in America. There's just not a big audience for it here and all that the networks are looking for is the next big hit. Once in a few years one show breaks out and the shows following it then try to imitate it, but it's the more original ones that end up succeeding. So we have to enjoy and support the good ones while they're out there?

Incidentaly have any of you guys watched the Spectacular Spider-Man? I happen to think that it's a brilliant show but it's in danger of being cancelled.

Also, I read last month that Daria is finally being released to DVD sometime next year. I've never seen the series, but I've read good things about it which have me looking forward to seeing it.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
VMars wrote:
Incidentaly have any of you guys watched the Spectacular Spider-Man? I happen to think that it's a brilliant show but it's in danger of being cancelled.

Also, I read last month that Daria is finally being released to DVD sometime next year. I've never seen the series, but I've read good things about it which have me looking forward to seeing it.

I really like what little I've seen of The Spectacular Spiderman, I was put off by the singles release (not excusable for something that will easily sell plenty of DVDs in season sets) but they seem to have now put out a season set (for season 1 anyway, I hope they release the rest), I'll buy it at some point. Unfortunately there still doesn't seem to be a season set release for Wolverine and the X-Men, I want to see that too. I've always meant to see Daria, I'm glad they're finally putting out the series, the movies have been available for a while though I never remember to buy them. Aeon Flux isn't really a slice of life show so much as sci-fi? On the good western animation front, I quite liked the episodes of Phantom 2040 I saw.

I forgot about Future Boy Conan, I saw the first episode and I was impressed, beautiful animation and a good Miyazakian (yes I know it's by Miyazaki) adventure story. I was also tempted to send in a reply for Ai No Kusabi, it's a compelling exploration of imbalances of power.

Last edited by UtenaAnthy on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
I have a problem with the fact that Viz or someone can't bring over the Baby and Me anime! They're on Volume 14 or 15 of the manga in their Shojo Beat imprint, and it does appear to be selling...The fansubs are impossible to find, unless you can read Chinese subs...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
dizzywulf wrote:
Aw I forgot to write in.

I would really like to see an R1 release of Future Boy Conan. Despite its age, it still looks great. Out of any other show I can think of it has the most potential to be successful with kids if aired on TV.

I agree that it is a great series for older children, one of the best ever made. Only one real problem with that: it's directed by Miyazaki, which means they wouldn't be allowed to cut anything. And with blood and a scene of children smoking, Disney would want to do just that in order to show it on TV to its appropriate audience. Stupid American parents...
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAngel00 wrote:
Does anyone remember MTV's Downtown, Aeon Flux, or Daria?

Good call on all those, especially Daria. I would love to have those, but from what I hear, the music rights have kept them from being put on DVD, but I hope VMars is right.

Aeon Flux is fantastic, too, although maybe not everyone's cup of tea. It could get disturbingly strange at times, but that's a big part of what I liked about it. You actually did have some decent non-kiddie animated series being made around that time. I'd throw The Maxx in there, too, which was a great example of how to make a good show for next to no money.
VMars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I have to see it to believe it because the fans of Daria have been waiting really long for the DVD release, but here is the link http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Daria-DVDs-Planned/12236

I'm glad you liked the Spectacular Spider-Man, UtenaAnthy. Season 2 gets even better and it has some really interesting storytelling methods in most of the episodes. Like in one episode they weave in the auditions for the school play throughout the episode, and another which seems Cloverfield inspired with the camera messages.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
VMars wrote:
I have to see it to believe it because the fans of Daria have been waiting really long for the DVD release, but here is the link http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Daria-DVDs-Planned/12236

Been years since MTV Asia/Philippines aired the show, so I'm glad they're finally releasing it on DVD. Wonder if the rest of Malcolm in the Middle will ever be out on DVD, since music rights was the cited reason for only releasing S1.

Quote:

I'm glad you liked the Spectacular Spider-Man, UtenaAnthy. Season 2 gets even better and it has some really interesting storytelling methods in most of the episodes. Like in one episode they weave in the auditions for the school play throughout the episode, and another which seems Cloverfield inspired with the camera messages.

Weird thing with SSM is that season 2 episodes have been out in the UK, Canada, and the Philippines ahead of the U.S. (last episode is due on Cartoon Network next week). Last time that happened here was with a few Justice League S2 episodes, particularly the three-part finale Starcrossed.
VMars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Weird thing with SSM is that season 2 episodes have been out in the UK, Canada, and the Philippines ahead of the U.S. (last episode is due on Cartoon Network next week). Last time that happened here was with a few Justice League S2 episodes, particularly the three-part finale Starcrossed.

Also the first season of Wolverine and the X-Men still has a few more episodes to go here in the US while in the UK it ended since March. I'm hoping though that the international success of the Spectacular Spider-Man will be enough to get it a third season, because in the US it lost the momentum it had when it suddenly got transferred from KidsWB to DisneyXD.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
VMars wrote:

Awesome awesome awesome! Now I just hope they were able to keep the original soundtrack and songs and don't have to sub in generic pop a la "WKRP" (old show about radio for those who don't know). But they really butchered that one and I'd hate to see that happen to the divine Ms. Morgendorffer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5