• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad After Story Sub.DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
It is only the fault of the anime that it could not portray it to non gamers as well. It is a shame because Illusionary World is pretty amazing and complex. It is IMO one of the best parts of Clannad.

That's a pretty major fault, though. When adapting source material into another medium, the adapter must adjust accordingly for the realities of the new medium. Sounds like Clannad AS didn't do that - or at least didn't do that well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CBongo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
It is only the fault of the anime that it could not portray it to non gamers as well. It is a shame because Illusionary World is pretty amazing and complex. It is IMO one of the best parts of Clannad.

I think this gets at the heart of the matter. The "cop-out" ending feels that way because the anime did a poor job of adapting the visual novel to a linear narrative. In the Key(Visual Arts) game, you play each girl's route, and after completing each story you start over from the beginning and play another route. By the time you get to Key(Theron)'s Second Big Tragedy, you've started the game over half a dozen times, so starting over again doesn't feel like a cop-out.

Contrast this with the anime, where the story unfolds as a linear progression of story arcs. Each girl gets her story, but instead of starting over, each story flows as a continuation of the previous rather than a do-over. So when Tragedy 2 hits, the anime makes the mistake of hewing too closely to the original game, and does a reboot. The problem is, this isn't the 15th time we're starting over like in the game - it's the first. At the climax of the show. Result: adaptation failure. In the game, it doesn't feel cheap because you, as the player, hold the memories of all the previous playthoughs rather than having the narrative keep them. It just doesn't work for a linear TV show.

Once I figured this out, it made the ending a lot more tolerable for me, but I don't think you should have to understand the nature of the source material to enjoy an anime - it ought to stand on its own.

Like many other people, I think the strongest moment in the series is the field of flowers scene. Possibly the most touching bit of animation I've seen in some time, and for me it and the rest of series make up for the shortcomings of how the ending played out, and I count it in my top 10 favorites.

I think Key(Theron)'s review was fair (as in balanced, not as in good/poor). But we need to have someone review Key(Visual Arts) anime whose nickname is not also Key(Theron)... Wink
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
No matter what anyone says it is not a cop out of any kind. From the game it is based on and how you play the game it is pretty damn obvious. Start from the opening scene. (Which would have been the best choice to start with in the anime) It is very well built around it.

spoilers for explaining more of after story in detail...long post explaining it all spoiler[I find that a lot with Maeda's writing there is a lot more to think about and put together after, just like AIR.

If you remember the story Yukine told about the orbs. Each person in the town that was helped had a an orb of their happiness. A certain amount was needed to have a wish in the game it is around 13 I believe, they even cut 2 stories out.

Tomoya repeats over and over to get these orbs (well more evident in the game and seen with Tomoyo's arc) We see one repeat generally. So in reality he has to face this fate over and over. As seen in episode one where he starts off in the world of snow.

When Nagisa was sick and near death. her life was exchanged for the town. This was when Akio asks for someone to save her. So as the town begins to decrease her life begins to lessen. And her link is specific to the place where the hospital is being built.

Ushio inherits this . As the exchange is passed to her. Her body is too small to carry this burden. So Ushio dies. When she dies she is is re-born in the Illisionary world (the first time she died). This Ushio is different than the one we come to know. She creates a body/vessel for Tomoya, whom can sense this place. She does not know of her other self until the end.

It is because of this link to the world that Tomoya can collect the orbs. So the plot is not a reset or coming from no where people just never paid attention/ wasn't shown as well as in game. No one seemed to listen to Yukine, took no notice to the illusionary world and so forth. Us game fans were happy with the conversion. But perhaps the ending is more satisfying in the end for all your hard work to collect all the orbs and spend 100 hours on the game. Many say if it ended with 18 that would have been good but it would have made the entire show pointless as no one would need a story or it would have been a failed attempt at the orbs. But Tomoyo after is more so related to what people want >.> . ]

The fact that you had to go into this much depth in explaining the story to make it NOT seem like a cop-out shows just how flawed the anime version is.

Remember, we are not discussing/reviewing the game here - but the anime version. The anime should be able to stand on its own ... I almost feel like in this case it tried to be TOO faithful to the game without really following through on explanation. Or maybe this type of gameplay set-up just doesn't work for the television animated medium.
CBongo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
CBongo wrote:
[The "cop-out" ending feels that way because the anime did a poor job of adapting the visual novel to a linear narrative.

To be more specific, I think the poor job of adaptation is specific to the climax of the story. The rest of it was actually a pretty good amalgamation of the story lines, considering the time limitations of a 20-some episode anime. They just needed to figure out a better way to wrap it up.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
J0hn_G4lt wrote:
I can see why people might think the ending is a cop out but honestly how can one expect anything else?

I've actually played a visual novel where the real ending is: the main girl dies, and there's nothing you can do about it. Emotional sucker punch! What's more odd is that most of the game was a ridiculous comedy.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
The fact that you had to go into this much depth in explaining the story to make it NOT seem like a cop-out shows just how flawed the anime version is.

Remember, we are not discussing/reviewing the game here - but the anime version. The anime should be able to stand on its own ....

Quoted for truth. I've never played the game, probably never will, but regardless, the adaptation should never be reliant on its source material.

Also, just because "this was supposed to happen" doesn't mean that it is not a cop-out. After Story's ending left too many questions that could only be answered by being a cop-out. spoiler[Okay, so if the world's time line was shifted back into the past, then therefore everything that happened from Nagisa's death till ep 22 never happens. Therefore, if it never happened, then how could Tomoya remember it?] This is a very bothersome paradox that can only be justified with: "its magic." In other words; a cop-out. Also, spoiler[what are we to think about what Akio, Sanae, Ushio, Tomoya's father, etc. all went through? Do they still remember it? Do Akio and Sanae remember their trial with Nagisa's death? Does Ushio grow up with the memories of what didn't happen already ingrained in her head from her second birth? Does Nagisa remember being dead?] It pretty much rendered the characters' journeys useless; like what people were saying about save-spots, they just went back to a save point and restarted from there when they didn't like what they got. And so, what could have been a good, emotional, heartfelt story was reduced to mere wish-fulfillment.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Remember, we are not discussing/reviewing the game here - but the anime version. The anime should be able to stand on its own ....

Quoted for truth. I've never played the game, probably never will, but regardless, the adaptation should never be reliant on its source material.

Also, just because "this was supposed to happen" doesn't mean that it is not a cop-out. After Story's ending left too many questions that could only be answered by being a cop-out. spoiler[Okay, so if the world's time line was shifted back into the past, then therefore everything that happened from Nagisa's death till ep 22 never happens. Therefore, if it never happened, then how could Tomoya remember it?] This is a very bothersome paradox that can only be justified with: "its magic." In other words; a cop-out. Also, spoiler[what are we to think about what Akio, Sanae, Ushio, Tomoya's father, etc. all went through? Do they still remember it? Do Akio and Sanae remember their trial with Nagisa's death? Does Ushio grow up with the memories of what didn't happen already ingrained in her head from her second birth? Does Nagisa remember being dead?] It pretty much rendered the characters' journeys useless; like what people were saying about save-spots, they just went back to a save point and restarted from there when they didn't like what they got. And so, what could have been a good, emotional, heartfelt story was reduced to mere wish-fulfillment.

I totally agree - all the character development from experience for Ushio, Sanae, and Akio was just lost. For me, the ending just cheapened the whole experience. Nobody really grows or learns anything if they get a spoiler[do-over]. I know it's "maaaaagic" but it just came off as lame to me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
Agreed to all the above. I understand the ending of the VN, and how it all works out with the parallels to the foundation of the story... but just as a whole, it just doesn't click. It's like after (Air spoiler) spoiler[Misuzu's death] Maeda didn't want to end on that note ever again. But this time he did too much. spoiler[The only one who needed to come back from death was Ushio. Use the orbs to revive her in a similar way to what happened to Akio/Nagisa and then continue living on.]
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
I do agree that an ending spoiler[where only Ushio was revived] would have been a great ending.
However I don't completely agree to say that the character development was a waste because of the current ending. The growth the characters(Especially Tomoya) experience due to spoiler[Nagisa's death ] have a direct influence on the factors that lead to spoiler[Nagisa and Ushio being revived. After everything is reset of course the characters will not have the same experiences and therefore that growth does not occur but they are only in that relative position of happiness because of the growth in the parallel universe.] That's why I feel it isn't a waste.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Remember, we are not discussing/reviewing the game here - but the anime version. The anime should be able to stand on its own ... I almost feel like in this case it tried to be TOO faithful to the game without really following through on explanation. Or maybe this type of gameplay set-up just doesn't work for the television animated medium.

But at least it makes sense and at least knowing that puts things into perspective. Doesn't change the anime's choice to do things. It isn't just a re-set if you read what i put.

In the recap it shows that I believe Tomoya remembers what had happened. In what a said you can watch Tomoyo After....
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

But at least it makes sense and at least knowing that puts things into perspective. Doesn't change the anime's choice to do things. It isn't just a re-set if you read what i put.

In the recap it shows that I believe Tomoya remembers what had happened. In what a said you can watch Tomoyo After....

I don't think you're reading or understanding what we are saying here ... the fact that you say "It isn't just a re-set IF you read what I put." means that if we DON'T read this additional explanation, then it IS a res-set. So in the anime version, it just feels like a cop-out re-set ... even though it may have come off completely different in the game, that is irrelevant. We are talking about the anime on its OWN.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I don't think you're reading or understanding what we are saying here ... the fact that you say "It isn't just a re-set IF you read what I put." means that if we DON'T read this additional explanation, then it IS a res-set. So in the anime version, it just feels like a cop-out re-set ... even though it may have come off completely different in the game, that is irrelevant. We are talking about the anime on its OWN.

I do. But the parts in the anime they showed made sense it just wasn't clear or people failed to realize Yukine mentioning the orbs. The ending should not have come as a surprise because it was seen a mile away.

Plus because people didn't understand doesn't mean it should be labeled as a cop out. It is not irrelevant the anime is based on the game. Of course it is going to come up.

As well my explanation clears up what the anime missed, in case anyone wanted the real story and piece together what the anime showed. It is there after all but not shoved in your face.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

I do. But the parts in the anime they showed made sense it just wasn't clear or people failed to realize Yukine mentioning the orbs. The ending should not have come as a surprise because it was seen a mile away.

Plus because people didn't understand doesn't mean it should be labeled as a cop out. It is not irrelevant the anime is based on the game. Of course it is going to come up.

As well my explanation clears up what the anime missed, in case anyone wanted the real story and piece together what the anime showed. It is there after all but not shoved in your face.

Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean that they don't understand. Clannad is really not that complicated - we understood, we just didn't like the ending. I do remember the orbs eing mentioned by Yukine, but the only time I remember Tomoya GETTING an orb was spoiler[after he made up with his fatehr] ... if they wanted to be congruent with the show, they should have started the orb thing from the beginning so that it is clear WHY Tomoya is getting a miracle. But I still don't think I would have loved that plot :/
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Plus because people didn't understand doesn't mean it should be labeled as a cop out.

I think you are the one who is not understanding things. Even with all the explaination you give, those questions and paradoxes I mentioned are still there. It is still a reset ending no matter how you try and justify it. Several people have already come up with other ways that this "orb miracle" could have been carried out in a much more fulfilling manner. But, in the end, spoiler[they decided to just undo what what was done, using the mysticism-side of the story to justify their choice. Tomoya had to 'have it all,' not just be accepting of what he had.] Mere wish fulfillment; then again, some would argue that's the point of this kind of show... Rolling Eyes
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean that they don't understand.

Didn't mean it like that at all. On other boards people had no clue or idea of the orbs what so ever. Many people did not pick up the underlying hints in the anime about the ending. I imagined at least a decent amount here did not get that. As well with, that "place" had a lot to do with it all.

jenthehen wrote:
Clannad is really not that complicated - we understood, we just didn't like the ending.
hmm not really, not everyone got the ending. The ending is not likable I understand. But not everyone got it, or so many people wouldn't be so surprised. The IW is quite complicated when you take everything into account.

the Rancorous wrote:
I think you are the one who is not understanding things.

hmm no, no I do get it.

the Rancorous wrote:
Even with all the explanation you give, those questions and paradoxes I mentioned are still there. It is still a reset ending no matter how you try and justify it.
No what I have from the original basis of the story is not a reset. Anime version yes. Cop out no. Some of those answers are not in the original game, it is left up to the viewer to think. Even Sane and Akio are supposed to get their own stories, which were excluded in the anime version.

Everything just makes sense in a game format that is all there is to say. I just posted what the actual underlying story was, what had existed in the anime, suppose to exist and what was in the game. Not trying to change anyone's mind. I was just trying to post what really happened to give an understanding. Don't really care if everyone if fine with the end. I would recommend playing the game as it is one of the best visual novels out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8