• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arakawa Under the Bridge (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Not calling you out PaniPoni61:

Well technically its suppose to be seinen. However, I don't think the typical 18 or 30 year old male will find Arakawa funny. An American's perspective. I believe this anime's intended audience are adolescent teens.

Bento-Box wrote:
ShinobiX wrote:
Obviously this anime is intended for a younger audience, but heh humor is humor.

I'm not sure I understand.... unless you're as old as Blood-.

What?
I just said humor should be viewed by all regardless of content.

Everyone else:
Controversial opinion yes, but I really don't care so don't argue with me about this as so many of you like to do. You wont change my mind. This is for the people who don't have self control. You know who you are.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is for the people who don't have self control.

People like Hulk.

Well, as for episode 3, I really liked what he said in the beginning. Shaft has some good lines sometimes, huh. But then again, as long as I have my precious Shiki's voice, that's all I care for.
I see. At first he acted in an unemotional manner, but now he realizes that he's falling for her, however it doesn't look like he actually realizes that fact, which is pretty funny. Oh, just wonder in how many episodes we'll hear him say "I've fallen in love with a lunatic!"
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
you really think he is falling for her? Since we know its a "romantic" show we already sort of know the outcome. However I don't think they'll get together. It's going to be a cat and mouse games between those two. Unrequited love etc. From what I've seen Japan loves doing that.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 1 was not very funny. Episodes 2 and 3 were a huge improvement and had some genuinely funny scenes. I am enjoying this series.

My real beef is with Shinbo because I generally do not like him as a director. He tends to focus on the wrong aspect of a show. Right now he's doing a good job of building a comedy base, but the romance still feels superficial. I have never read the manga, though I understand it's a gag manga; for this to translate well to the screen it needs to have a beating heart, a really human and relatable side because the concept of a bunch of weirdos living under a bridge is only going to carry the story so far.

If Shinbo takes the dive and decides to get us uncomfortably close to our main characters, AUtB has the potential to be another Welcome to the NHK!.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
you really think he is falling for her?

I don't think about it in that way too.
I think that our protagonist is a sort of perfectionist so once he agreed to play this role he tries to do his best to fulfil his duty in the best possible way
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
ShinobiX wrote:

I think that our protagonist is a sort of perfectionist so once he agreed to play this role he tries to do his best to fulfil his duty in the best possible way

I think it would be interesting if he fell in love with the Star-Face guy. Or Sister. Either one would prove most humorous.

I don't think his character should end up "loving" her. But he may actually end up respecting her. If he does love her, it would prolly be some kind of realization at the very end of the series as she's leaving or something...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Yaoi? No, thanks...
But I agree that ending without romance would be really interesting- meeting after years, small talk about their families and laugh about this adventure. Or maybe organise each other's wedding and being maid of honour/ best man and stay good friends.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
ShinobiX wrote:

Oh yeah. I think the exact opposite of you two, and am quite confident that he will fall in love with her. Why? Up to now he's been taught that anything another human does for him is a favor, and has to be repaid, but she's teaching him that another human could be doing that simply because that human actually wants to, and haven't actually thought of it as a favor, thus it wouldn't have to be repaid. Also, a snob blending in with a bunch of lunatics to learn their ways and to repay a favor to a Venusian, the first part was accomplished. Then, how about the second? To be her lover? One way or another he will have to fall in love with her. Because, #1, if he doesn't, he will die because of his asthma attack. Because, #2, she will, uncaringly, teach him a valuable lesson about life, and he will come out as a proper young man who isn't obsessed over repaying others.

Well, there's my theory. Bring yours(and something to eat, cos I'm hungry). Wink
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I've got cottage cheese with chives and buns with butter and tomato:P

I don't want him to fall in love with her, because I don't bellieve in that kind of love since I took off Sailor Moon poster from my wall. "Two worlds, one family" was funny once but it's so common motive that it makes me sick. I think that enchantment between people separated by everything is common, but it doesn't last long. Love can be blind, but daily life is a good oculist.
And one thing bothers me. Do you believe that
spoiler[Nino is a Venusian?]
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Do you believe that
spoiler[Nino is a Venusian?]

This is Shaft, so both could be doable. While I'm leaning to the latter, I believe that statistics are leaning to a simple raw lunatic; perhaps not simple. So, if there's an answer, that's going to be a last minute one, right before the anime ends; or so I believe.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
No, Nino is just the typical airhead
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
No, Nino is just the typical airhead.

Nino isn't an area of hostile or enemy-controlled territory secured by paratroops or air-assault forces.

Furthermore, she's proven to be smarter than the male protagonist, or at least she has outdone him a couple times already. It's hard to know why you'd say that, as you clearly don't want to make a valid point, whether there's one. But feel free to.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Yaoi? No, thanks...

I was completely joking about that. Laughing

I really believe that she's a spoiler[ venusian]. Although, I have no proof or reason other than I want her to be that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Rec discover in this last episode that Nino talks about Venus when she wants to avoid talking about something else? I really think of it as a defense mechanism; in fact, I bet she has a sad backstory and "Venus" is her way of coping.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
I actually have a theory on Nino and some of the complaints about romance of people from two different worlds: spoiler[I think there is a good chance that they may not from different worlds after all, there looked like there was something up with how she was able to put on that dress so well, perhaps comeing from upperclass. I highly doubt she is from Venus, but perhaps the whole venus thing is a character she has put on. Didn't they mention something about her name comeing from that swimsuit she used as a pillow (2-3), maybe the remark was made that it sounded like an alien name, like from Venus or something, so then she started saying she was from Venus. Why she would take on this new persona, I have no clue, but maybe there will be a reveal of having a simular history or something like that (parents never gave a favour and belived in makeing the world with own strength).]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9