• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How has Sailor Moon held up for you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the Classic dub out of nostalgia. Watching it now, it's soooooooooooo bad it's great ("We're gonna turn your sizzle into fizzle so don't give us any of your dribble.")

But I still prefer the sub cos it's easier on the ears. Whoever the hell it was they got to voice Serena for S and Supers needed to be hung. God that was painful to listen to.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I enjoy the Classic dub out of nostalgia. Watching it now, it's soooooooooooo bad it's great ("We're gonna turn your sizzle into fizzle so don't give us any of your dribble.")

But I still prefer the sub cos it's easier on the ears. Whoever the hell it was they got to voice Serena for S and Supers needed to be hung. God that was painful to listen to.

Totally agreed. Watching the Sailor Moon Musical clips posted again it's a similar sort of so bad it's great. Sailor Moon comes with a large amount of camp to begin with, but the Dic dub multiplied it ten fold. Unfortunately it seems that unless you grew up with the dub, you wouldn't be nearly as forgiving to the changes.

I love the DIC dub, but can't stand a dub past R season due to the fact the cast is so different, and they seemed to lose that camp value in trying to stay more true to the original Japanese script. So I too just stick to the subs outside of the first two seasons of Sailor Moon. I'll watch crucial episodes subbed, such as the Moon Kingdom backstory and the fight with Queen Beryl subbed, but for the most part the first two seasons are dubbed for me.

Another reason why I love Dic:

They released a character song CDs. Sure, half the stuff never even was aired on the show, but still when I was younger I had fun with it in a way I assume is similar to little girls in Japan with all the music merchandising anime have their. It was fun to just sing along with your favorite characters. They were seriously 90s lame, but they bring out some major nostalgia, especially Carry On (the Dub's song played during the Queen Beryle battle). Amazon.com lets you listen to each song for a bit.

Also not pictured is the release of Dic's background music which seems a better deal than the other two since it also features a lot of their vocal songs. Sadly it's going for big money now used.

Anyone who was a fan since they were little: do you still own any of the dolls? I still have Sailor Venus and Queen Beryl. Queen Beryl has some seriously messed up hands. I also own the Luna P jewelry box they had I think in their final line of North American Sailor Moon toys.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I have the original dub soundtrack. I never got Lunarock, though I did see it in stores. I remember the dolls. I actually heard of Sailormoon because I saw the doll ads before seeing the first TV spots. First I thought "oh, it's Ronin Warriors for girls" because RW starting airing just before that.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I own the dolls: the five inner scouts and Queen Beryl. The funny part? My sister and I got those dolls before I even knew about Sailor Moon. I missed the first few months or so when it first came on Cartoon Network, and mom bought those dolls for us because she thought they looked cute. Imagine the day I made the connection. Very Happy

The only problem is that Serena's hair has lost its buns (and those decorations on her buns), Mercury lost her tiara, and Queen Beryl, I think, has a few missing decorations. My sister didn't take great care of her three. Anime smile + sweatdrop My three look a little mussed as well (hey, I was a kid, I PLAYED with those things and had 'em do kick-butt awesome fighting moves).

My sis eventually gave her three to me, so now I own all 6. They just can't be considered collector's items anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I do remember getting my sister a set of Sailor Moon Collectible Card Game Starter Set.

Website detailing the game and mentioning the RPG from the now defunct Guardians of Order.
http://www.saveoursailors.org/ccgreview.html

And also remember seeing these, the Button Men Sailor Moon sets, again made by Guardians of Order for Cheap **s Games. They were seen at my local comic shop.
http://www.cheapass.com/bpu/sailormo.html
http://www.cheapass.com/bpu/sailorm2.html
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I never got any of the dolls, but I did have the Neptune and Chibimoon (with Luna-P!) figures, the first Dic soundtrack, and the card game starter set. I really wish I still had the figures (though I have Mercury and Jupiter now) and had gotten the wand and light-up transformation locket.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
As far as toys go, I'm sad that we never got the awesome looking Amazon Quartet action figures Irwin Toys made Prototypes to:

I envy anyone who got that final Irwin doll: Sailor Saturn. That thing is rare.

Haha, the Sailor Moon card game. I used to have a bunch of those, but I can't for the life of me remember what happened to them.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I never got the dolls but I did have the Crescent Wand and Crystal circle... thing.
I didn't watch past the halfway of R (I blame it on my youthful inability to pay attention lol), but I would definitely be interested in watching past that. I heard Toei was shopping around the series recently, I wonder if they would do a new dub or stick with the old one?
Hyperone

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I must preface, I am a 21 year old guy.

Understanding that it was amongst the first anime I ever saw (I think I saw it and DBZ pretty much at the same time), I always thought it to be interesting. Artistically it was unlike what I was used to.

As time wore on, I actually went back to watch it out of curiosity. Not very impressed but it wasn't as bad as I feared (probably due to watching the subs this time).

Compared to newer shows, I feel time has been most unkind to the series in many aspects. The dub alone is classic in how horrible it is. The MoTW format doesn't help either. In short, it was better when I was young and new nothing of anime save for two shows.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon has held up wonderfully for me. I was 16 before I saw it for the first time, so I still have similar tastes then as now. For me, it was always about the eclectic mix of characters, and it's extremely rare for a day to go by when the Sailor Senshi don't come up in a conversation with my husband. No, seriously, we talk either Sailor Moon or Utena (or both) every single day. It's how we unwind before bed. ^_^

I regularly rewatch the series (in Japanese), and enjoy it even more now than before, quite honestly. Sure, it has many flaws, but I love it nonetheless. Right now I'm collecting the HQCD re-release of 12 of the OSTs, and I'm always on the look out for figures and other trinkets. It will always be my first and strongest anime love. Some of it is nostalgia, but most of it is a complete appreciation of the fantastic characters and the life that their superb seiyuu breathed into them.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I was first getting into watching anime and saw SM on Toonami-at the time I only watched it cause there wasn't much other anime to view-so once it disappeared I didn't watch again. Fast foreward 10 years and I discovered that shoujo was for me-I rediscovered SM and still like rewatching it-Wedding Peach is just as good (in a slightly different context)-I'm currently watching Heart Catch-Pretty Cure and Hime Chen! Otogi Chikku Idol Lilpri.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon is back and this is the only thread I could find for it on the anime board, So~Necropost Prism Power!

I knew about Sailor Moon as a kid. I loved the concept and *loved* the theme song. I remember seeing Usagi/Serena on TV and thinking she was sooo cool because she was a teenager, so old and mature. I saw some scenes with Luna and some Moon Princess exposition of some sort and I even caught some eps, but it aired at 6am when it was on the local networks and my parents never had cable. So this show is basically new to me!

I saw the four eps Viz put up on Hulu and watched the first ep dubbed for contrast. Comments:

*Usagi is a ditz and yeah, a bit of a crybaby

*She's also crushing on two older guys by episode 4

*Usagi has a little brother? I didn't remember him. Come to think of it, it's interesting that she's basically a superhero with two living parents

*Luna is adorable! I want a plushy!

*poor Umino. I felt sorry for the stereotypical nerd who exists solely for the MC's scorn

*Tuxedo Mask is a jerk in his civilian guise, and doesn't do much as a hero

*Interesting how the dub's first episode has an extended, expositiony prologue, and the sub throws us right in

*what the heck is the "Negaverse"?

*why is "Molly" from Brooklyn?

*Hey, they left in some Japanese text! Must've been too hard to get rid of back then

*The dub has some interesting differences and cuts: Usag is just randomly eating lunch in the hall when the teacher shows her her failed test, because they don't show her teacher sending her out into the hall as a punishment

*Umino ("Melvin") offers to tutor Usagi, which he really should've done in the Japanese version, too, if he was looking to score points (I was surprised he didn't, and I saw the original version first)

*Usagi's Mom tells her to go study in the library rather than just forcing her out the house

*Luna's "believe in yourself and look into your heart; you'll know what to do" speech was cut-pasted in from a Disney movie, and was later repeated by Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Moon herself in the Sailor Moon Says segment at the end of the episode. They had one of those every episode, didn't they?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh, my gateway to otakudom. This series will always be special to me. I'm so excited for Sailormoon Crystal this summer!! Arina Tanemura is too-so much that she drew all the senshi AND Tuxedo Kamen!!

GORGEOUS, AIN'T IT?

As for classic, Stars is the best season, hands down. Followed closely by S

DragonsRevenge wrote:
Whoever the hell it was they got to voice Serena for S and Supers needed to be hung. God that was painful to listen to.

AGREED. OMG. Linda is horrible. lol

The only dub voice I liked for Usagi was the very first one DiC used. It was downhill from there.

I absolutely hate the dub script save a couple of lines. But they really REALLY dumbed it down...made horrible puns, used horrible slang etc. I was amused as a preteen....but now I want to bang my head against the wall.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
GORGEOUS, AIN'T IT?

Indeed, it definitely is

Quote:
As for classic, Stars is the best season, hands down. Followed closely by S

Stars is the only part of the anime that I have not seen (that I know of) and is what I am most looking forward to with this new release.

Quote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Whoever the hell it was they got to voice Serena for S and Supers needed to be hung. God that was painful to listen to.

AGREED. OMG. Linda is horrible. lol\

I would not go so far as to say that she should be hung, or call her horrible, but she is one of the main reasons why I never listen to the Sailor Moon dub. Sailor Moon is the only show with a dub that I watch subtitled.
I also do not like the changes to the names, but that probably would not have bothered me much if I had not already watched the first two seasons subtitled.

As for how well she show has held up, I have not watched it for at least two years but at that time I enjoyed it as much as I had when I first watched it in 2004.
Sailor Moon was one of my two favorite shows. The other was Cardcaptor Sakura and I really do not remember which I liked better at the time. Since then Sailor Moon has fallen out of my top ten, but this is because I have found newer shows that I like more and not because I like Sailor Moon any less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
GORGEOUS, AIN'T IT?

Indeed, it definitely is

Another Moon
Mercury
Mars
Jupiter
Venus
Pluto
That kid everyone hates Anime hyper
Uranus
Neptune
Saturn
Tuxedo Kamen]
The Starlights
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6