• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kekkaishi-[adult swim broadcast] (w/index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Can someone fill me in on what happened after spoiler[Kasuga poisoned Yoshimori]? I had to leave right when that happened and missed that part.

Madaroe and hakubi were killed (kinda of, not permently) Tokine came and began fighting Yomi's demon as she she confessed that she hated Tokine's father to be continued
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

Now that I have the full episode in my head, it was pretty good. It felt a lot less cheesy than I originally felt. The way Yoshimori responed when Tokine was talking to him was pretty intersting, even though I don't know why. I guess it's because he wasn't "ZOMG SHE'S TALKING TO ME!1", and was more "Holy cow, she's not being cold". If I knew what the Viz was going to do DVD wise I'd drop it here and just grab those, but I can't trust Viz, as learned from the Monster people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Can someone fill me in on what happened after spoiler[Kasuga poisoned Yoshimori]? I had to leave right when that happened and missed that part.

Well, I was merely going to direct to here, but the details are skimpy, to say the least; sooo......

spoiler[Madarao charges Kasuga but is quickly neutralized (but not killed?) by Yoki. Hakubi immediately senses this and so Tokine recklessly rushes to the scene which causes her to be easily trapped by Kasuga. Hakubi is then neutralized as Madarao was by Yoki. The episode ends with Kasuga mocking Tokine and declaring her intention of taking over the guardianship/responsibility of the academy.]
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
great episode
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of the manga, so I'm one of those annoying fans who will insist that everyone stick with it, 'because it gets better! I watched the second ep on [as]'s site last night, however, and boy, does the show look and feel like generic, juvenile shonen stereotypes in the beginning. Yuck! Is there anything more annoyingly generic than axioms like "I just want to get stronger!" "I want to make sure [name of girl] never gets hurt again!" "Boy, you're so powerful, but you're so reckless!" Etc. It all sounds so...Inuyasha. They even connected his cake dream (which is all charming and funny in the manga) to his desire to impress Tokine (in the manga, I'm pretty sure he wants the cake for himself, and seeing as he's a 14 year old boy, that makes more sense to me! Smile Cake rocks!). I'm also less-than-impressed with his Ed voice, but I'm hoping it'll grow on me.

What was I saying? Oh, yeah: It gets better! Really! Yoshimori gets more motivation besides impressing/protecting/beating a girl, spoiler[his brother Masamori shows up and proceeds to be awesome, bad-a** yet caring, some half-demon characters add spice to the cast and plot, Tokine never descends to "perpetually useless damsel in distress character" like most other shonen heroines (Sakura, Orihime-I'm looking at you!). Tokine's *grandmother* turns out to be one of the most powerful characters (we don't see enough of her, or Tokine, come to think of it, though) and we get an explation as to why some characters are more powerful than others, although, I'll admit it's a bit of plot-fu.]

What makes this series worth sticking with? I personally like the Shadow Organization politics and how it squares most characters in a shade of grey that is unusual for shonen and not juvenile or generic in the least. There are definate "good guys" and "bad guys" to be sure, but there are a whole bevy of characters caught in the middle, characters that you just can't put your finger on, with motivations so realistically mixed up that it makes you wonder...and that breaks it out of the shonen mold.

MAJOR SPOILERS! spoiler[Yoshimori's mom, for example. I read the latest chaps scanulated (moment of weakness, I know) and I *still* can't figure out who's side she's on. Masamori looks like he's flirting with the dark side, and characters like half-demon Sen seemed to have dual intentions from their introductions. Loyalties are mixed, and now that Yoshimori is hanging out with his mom-sort of-I'm kind of worried about him. He still believes in her completely, I personally think she's shady-[speculation]-I wouldn't even put Tokine's Dad's death past her yet![/speculation] ]
catstigereye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I could not finish epi one. But i have seen 43 with sub only and love this show! It can be found on hulu in sub formats or at viz sites.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
So how much longer until it "gets good". Just asking because it's really starting to get boring. This could be a result of having to watch an episode a week when I'm used to marathoning, but each week it's been getting more and more dull. The only interesting part was the Kasuga-thing, but all the other episodes have seemed to either focus on cake or that other girl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
At this point maybe the way they build characters is not for you or anyone else that thinks it is boring now. Kekkaishi will have a few more twists and turns with character building episodes before eventually opening up an arc.

Kasuga was a small glimpse of the other governing powers and associated drama in Kekkaishi.

Telling you when something "gets good" would be a disservice to the anime. Some people will discount the content before the "good" parts and scrutinize the good parts to see how good they really are.
All I can say is enjoy the ride if you stick to it because Kekkaishi is about more then baking a candy castle.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
So how much longer until it "gets good". Just asking because it's really starting to get boring. This could be a result of having to watch an episode a week when I'm used to marathoning, but each week it's been getting more and more dull. The only interesting part was the Kasuga-thing, but all the other episodes have seemed to either focus on cake or that other girl.

If you are not feeling the love by this point you should probably drop the show and move on. Kekkaishi relies on your belief in the characters to work. If you don't enjoy them now you are not going to connect with them when they have to face their trials later in the series and you will not be able to use suspension of disbelief when it is required. The plot is not so fascinating that you can enjoy it independently of the characters.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I feel people aren't looking for it to be good unless there is action going on
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
I believe it's still too early to tell which way the series is going to go. I don't need anything to be in a rush, and think it's been fairly good so far for what it is. Yes, it's had the "get stronger" shounen cliche, but the development of the relationship between the two leads through the course of their childhood has been established relatively strongly and so far I like them well enough to want to see what happens to them.

What I do agree with is that the marketing is lousy. Since it's been given an Adult Swim slot, I can see some people being slightly irritated that we didn't get an actually adult-oriented anime instead. Unless there's a drastic turn of events, there isn't anything about Kekkaishi that's especially adult-targeted.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, perhaps my comment more harsh than I intended it to be. I like the characters and the way they interact with each other, but when is it gonna stop doing the monster of the week thing and stop showing Yoshimori obsessing over cake? That's what's really bugging me, it shows lots of potential each episode only to have the next be just like it. They've done the same three things each episode: have them destroy monsters at the school while bickering, have Yoshimori nerd talk about cake, and have that one girl see a ghost. When is it going to get out of this cycle and get into the "good stuff" everyone has talked about ever since it was announced?
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
That's what's really bugging me, it shows lots of potential each episode only to have the next be just like it.

Don't worry, it lives up to its potential.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I saw last night's episode and besides for the sweet Tokine/Yoshimori team-up (Yoshimori trying to remember the technique they used together and blushing at the memory of Tokine touching his hand was really sweet), it was pretty boring. Since I'm a fan, I'm not going to ask "when does this get better?" I'm going to be specific and ask In which episode does spoiler[Gen] show up? That's when the story shakes up and the plot solidifies, and its the point when all the potential of the show starts coming through.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Gen doesn;t show up till eppisode 20, but the show just starts risng once it reaches episode 11 cause that's whenspoiler[The whole arc with Madaro and Koya begins, and then it jumps straight into the Masamori arc]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7