• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Bleach TV Anime on June 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELDRAGON

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
Glad to hear about this now. So that means the big 3 are taken care of. I've put off on going to CR for some time now, but there are now just too many incentives in not not going there. Now just need to figure out how to get the feed from my comp to my TV.

Well, depending on your computer, the easiest way is to connect to your TV with either an S-video or HDMI cable. I use the latter.
ELDRAGON

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
About time they got it but isnt this show all most over

not even close
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So the petition I heard about getting DB to sub the episodes on CR didn't work out? I don't even know if one actually existed - I heard about it from my brother, but didn't go into researching it since I lost interest in Bleach a long time ago.

What you heard got garbled along the way.

When CR launched its petition, including a chance for those adding to the petition to make a comment, DB requested its users to support the Crunchyroll petition and add the request that DB get the job of doing the subtitles.

A lot of the DB fanbois seem to have the idea that CR does the subtitles so it was just a matter of CR hiring DB ... not surprisingly, a large number of those relying on bootlegged rip-offs of RAWs with unauthorized translations are a bit hazy on how legal digital distribution works.

A lot of DB fanbois also seem to labor under the misapprehension that if DB was for some reason hired by the rights holder that DB has been ripping off for years, that the subtitles approved by the rights holder would be identical to what DB does as an unauthorized distributor of bootlegs.
Ah, got it now. Thank you for the better explanation. ^^
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
how does watching anime on cruncyroll differ from any other website that provides fansub?

Its not a bootleg rip-off of the RAW, its uploaded by the people who make it.

Josh7289 wrote:
How much money do studios actually get from Crunchyroll?

Not so much from ad-streams, at present levels of views, from recent exchange of PR's, if there are 10m's of streams per month, since gross ad revenues are a couple of pennies per episode at best, so in the range of $1m's annually at most via that channel. On the other hand its been growing at a rapid rate.

In the business model, its seems likely that an important part of the ad-streams is in generating new anime memberships.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
YES!!!

We got our Bleach simulcast!

WOO HOO! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Its not a bootleg rip-off of the RAW, its uploaded by the people who make it.

Ah yes, that too. How could I forget? It's very important because when they air in Japan sometimes the area where they're recording the raw has warnings and alerts, you won't see them on an version given to the legal companies here to sub them. That's always nice.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Not so much from ad-streams, at present levels of views, from recent exchange of PR's, if there are 10m's of streams per month, since gross ad revenues are a couple of pennies per episode at best, so in the range of $1m's annually at most via that channel. On the other hand its been growing at a rapid rate.

In the business model, its seems likely that an important part of the ad-streams is in generating new anime memberships.

One must also consider the income that comes from subscriptions, though I'm not sure which is more important (advertising or subscriptions).
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Darc_knight wrote:
how does watching anime on cruncyroll differ from any other website that provides fansub?

#1. Crunchy Roll are not fansubbers. (although they used to be, I believe.)
#2. It's legal. You can always count on it being up on the site at the time they say it will, and it won't ever be removed due to copyright infringement.

Actually CR didn't sub anything, least not directly. They hosted fansubs of series that had not been licensed yet.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
nokishoff wrote:
I am just happy to be able to see new episodes again. It seems CN has lost interest in Bleach just like they did with Naruto. Add to that Viz's slow boxset release schedule and a simulcast feels overdue.

I don't think [as] has lost interest in Bleach. Last I heard, JYB was working on Saw VII, which obviously delays his voice-acting work as main character Ichigo, which will delay any sort of consistent release of the English Bleach dub. Hopefully, he'll come back after he's finished with the movie, but I've also been hearing the same rumor for the last couple years that he wants to get out of anime voiceover work. I just hope he waits until Bleach is finished before he does. It wouldn't be the same without him as Ichigo.

Also, as for CR getting Bleach. I very much doubt the little poll they ran had anything to do with them getting it. Viz already streams Naruto with them, and Viz was probably already working on getting whatever permissions they needed in place to start streaming Bleach as well. CR went for a PR stunt with the poll simply to draw attention to themselves. They would be streaming Bleach next week whether there was a poll or not.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
That's good, hows about geting One Piece such that I, being a Britt, can see it?
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's interesting news.....not that I care since I don't watch Bleach subbed anyways.

*still waiting for viz media dub to come back with episodes 168 and up in August*.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
It's great they're getting another high profile show :]
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
That's good, hows about geting One Piece such that I, being a Britt, can see it?

They'll have to be go on their hands and knees for FUNi to even consider something like that.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

One must also consider the income that comes from subscriptions, though I'm not sure which is more important (advertising or subscriptions).

I think subscriptions are more important. Sites like Hulu and YouTube still aren't profitable yet and they get a crapton of streams. Hulu puts like 4 or 5 ads in a video, which is significantly more than what CR does.

I was doing some research on how much you can make from video ads. Most of what I saw paid like $3 to $6 per 1,000 views. A subscription to CR ranges from $5 to $12 a month.

I think CR does 2 ads per video stream. You'd need 1 person to watch like 500-1500 episodes per month to equal the money generated from one subscriber, but that's not a realistic expectation.

Subscribers are way more profitable. I think that's why they always have that $20 off deal going. I can't explain why they do $20 off a $19.95 subscription but $20 off of a $59.95 subscription still leaves them with an amount of money that's significantly more than what any one person could generate from stream episodes for free.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

I think subscriptions are more important. Sites like Hulu and YouTube still aren't profitable yet and they get a crapton of streams. Hulu puts like 4 or 5 ads in a video, which is significantly more than what CR does.

I was doing some research on how much you can make from video ads. Most of what I saw paid like $3 to $6 per 1,000 views. A subscription to CR ranges from $5 to $12 a month.

I think CR does 2 ads per video stream. You'd need 1 person to watch like 500-1500 episodes per month to equal the money generated from one subscriber, but that's not a realistic expectation.

Subscribers are way more profitable. I think that's why they always have that $20 off deal going. I can't explain why they do $20 off a $19.95 subscription but $20 off of a $59.95 subscription still leaves them with an amount of money that's significantly more than what any one person could generate from stream episodes for free.

Well, the $20 off of $19.95 is 1. offset by doing it through paypal which probably pays CR a few cents for the publicity.
and 2. As long as a few people who take the deal renew after the 3 months is over, then they have made money off it.

Basically it's the same as a 3 month free trial, but where you don't make people feel apprehensive about putting in credit card/payment info for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6