• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Book of Eli's Albert Hughes: Warner Wants PG-13 Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
You don't need graituitous violence or nudity to tell a mature story.

First off, it wouldn't be gratuitous if it was needed, by definition. So your statement is a tautology.

Secondly, one could equally say that you don't need cool motorcycles to tell a proper post apocalyptic story.

But an Akira without those wouldn't be Akira, right?

You know when I asked if I was the only person who watched Akira for something other than blood and tits I didn't want a yes for the answer.

If you think like that than Apocalypse Zero sells for less than 14 dollars at Amazon Marketplace. Naked people isn't a theme, people exploding isn't a theme, if your so shallow than clearly Katsuhiro Otomo failed.

Also the importance of the mortorcycle is to show the rebellion of youth.

So hey, here's a though: Maybe...just for starters, you could stop being obnoxious. There's not really any need to call people names just because they don't agree with you.

Anyway, obviously there's so much more to Akira than just R rated material. But there's also a lot of R rated material and I really doubt a fair bit of that 'so much more' would be workable without it being very violent.

Besides, even though the R rated stuff isn't the main appeal of Akira, it's still an integral part. It's like...if they decided the Cowboy Bebop movie wasn't going to be set the future and in space. Sure there's a whole lot more to Bebop. Sure you could potentially still make a Cowboy Bebop movie that largely maintained the themes and ideas of the series even if it wasn't in space. But...it wouldn't really be Cowboy Bebop. It would be something else.

I have never called anyone names in this thread, I have been sarcastic, but claiming that an urban movie by the Hughes Brothers (the Directors of Menace II Society) is going to be bad without it even going into production is silly.

No one is saying that Akira shouldn't be Cyberpunk, or not set in the post apocalypse. Yes, making it PG 13 would be harder than making it R, but it certainly wouldn't kill the movie. If the movie is bad than it's going to be for more reasons than not enough blood. Warner Bros. is trying to avoid a repeat of The Watchmen which was aimed at comic book fans and only comic book fans which caused it to have a dissapointing boxoffice mojo. I would rather not see someone try to make a real life anime instead of trying to adapt Akira into live action. The manga is different from the anime, and the ending of the anime version of Akira would look ridiculous in live action.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
diligent sesame wrote:
I'm still embarrassed by the "boob scene" because it's not in the manga and that one particular act doesn't really contribute anything to the film in my opinion...Then again maybe I'm too used to the American view of "No, sex should be more censored than violence! Naked body bad!" But if that were taken out I wouldn't be too upset. I would be upset if Tetsuo killed the people and they just kinda...fell or something.

I would post a panel from the Akira manga with two topless women in it, but I have a feeling ANN wouldn't appreciate it. But I would add that it isn't sexual, much less so than Kate Winslet's scene in Titanic, which was also PG-13.

Again, they can keep in all the violence and serious/horror elements to Akira without making it R-rated if the writers are creative. That they are aware of Dark Knight's success with this is a positive sign. As is their continued intent to make this into two movies adapting from the manga. This won't be a remake of the anime, which was the Reader's Digest version of Akira. They'll be able to get more in.

That said... maybe I need to see the Book of Eli now to know whether this guy has the chops to be creative and pull this whole thing off. The restrictions that come with making Hollywood movies, which are after all driven by a profit margin, require creativity. I hope that the staff for Akira has it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
Okay, are you even reading the responses to your posts? Because with samuelp and now again with me you've just sort of shrugged off what we've said and proceeded to go off on a tangent.

Charred Knight wrote:
claiming that an urban movie by the Hughes Brothers (the Directors of Menace II Society) is going to be bad without it even going into production is silly.

Never once claimed that.

Quote:
No one is saying that Akira shouldn't be Cyberpunk, or not set in the post apocalypse.

Uh huh. Also, I never suggested you we're saying this.

Quote:
Yes, making it PG 13 would be harder than making it R, but it certainly wouldn't kill the movie. If the movie is bad than it's going to be for more reasons than not enough blood.

Again, I never said it will definitely be bad. What I said is that I don't think it could really be Akira. It would sort of lose a core part of what made Akira what it was. Maybe it still will be good. I'm generally skeptical though. Once you start to get away from the original work you're in uncharted waters.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

IALTO! Razz
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
I'm tired of people crying over PG-13. PG-13 is a rating that studios have been pushing for years. These days, anything that doesn't involve explicit sex or detailed gore is PG-13 or under.

The Dark Knight is one of the edgiest PG-13 movies out there, and guess who it's from? Yeah.

There's close to no blood in The Dark Knight and much of the violence is off-screen. I'm not sure would that really work with Akira.

diligent sesame wrote:

I'm still embarrassed by the "boob scene" because it's not in the manga and that one particular act doesn't really contribute anything to the film in my opinion...

Actually the manga has more nudity than the movie, for example both Kei and Tetsuo are naked at one point although not in the same scene nor in a sexual way.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
PG-13 =/= kids movie.

The Ring and Dark Knight shoot that theory in the foot immediately. You can make a film that's incredibly intense without throwing buckets of blood on the screen.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
PG-13 =/= kids movie.

The Ring and Dark Knight shoot that theory in the foot immediately. You can make a film that's incredibly intense without throwing buckets of blood on the screen.

Sometimes implied violence is the best solution but not always. Explicit violence is one (but not only) element that makes for example David Cronenberg's movies work so well and if you'd edit all the blood away from Sam Peckinpah's and John Woo's movies I don't they'd have the same impact.

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
The one film that shows a great depiction of Espers in action is Scanners.

And, sadly, that's really just one flipping scene within ten minutes of the film. I can't even remember the rest.

That being said, I have no idea what to make of this decision. Something about it just doesn't seem Akira to me.

Guess I'll just have to shut up and wait.

When's that damn Red Dawn remake gonna have a trailer?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
On one hand I see what Hughes is saying. You can cut things up right and it shouldn't feel watered down.

Yet at the same time the original Akira, comic and movie, was unfiltered and it showed. Sure you don't need to see heads explode, but it was there. It was part of the experience. If this was an original work and it was a PG-13 mandate, fine. I can see how Hughes could creatively work around that on an original story.

Yet you're taking the uncensored experience of the original and holding it back. You can't remake something with a lesser rating and not have it be noticeably different. It's going to jump out at the audience. It's going to be another lame PG-13 Die hard with "Yippie Kai Yay Mother -BLAM-". You can see the strings, you notice when they pull back. Not that cursing makes a good movie, but obvious cuts contribute to making a bad one worse. Plus why go see it in theaters if you can wait for the unrated one on DVD. I never understood releasing an uncut edition later (unless maybe they're actively trying to kill theaters).

Even Dark Knight was only loosely based on various books, from Year One to Killing Joke. It wasn't a single series of books to adapt.

Plus you're gonna piss off the original fans. And with works like this, you're gonna need them to spread the good word.

One unnerving bit is
Quote:
the development team with producer Andrew Lazar (Jonah Hex, Space Cowboys, Get Smart)

Oh dear heavens. They're actually including that in his little resume there? They got some idiot from Jonah Hex. Hex being one of the worst comic bastardizations and bombs of late. It makes watchmen seem like a six hour spot on adaption that outsold The Dark Knight. Jonah Hex was chopped up and it bombed at the box office.

Never mind this is Warners. They couldn't even get Superman right. Superman! How do you screw up Superman?! So is it any surprise Hex was scarred beyond recognition? (Pun intended.) They took it from a straightforward western comic and turned it into a gadget prone action flick and gave the main character supernatural powers. I can only imagine what they'll do to Akira. Turn it into a generic Matrix knockoff? You know, despite the comic predating those movies like Hex predated the Wild Wild West movie it tried to be. They watered down what made the character of Hex so interesting and filled it with Hollywood cliches we've already seen.

Aside from the rating gaffe and the producers, there's also the line:
Quote:
The trick for me is to simplify everything for the audience because you can't come in with that complexity.

Um.. no. One of the appeals to Akira was the complexity it tried to maintain from the manga. That and the unflinching violence got Akira noticed. (Again, violence alone doesn't make a good movie, but taking it out from a good one will make it feel off.) You simplify Akira, you lose a good deal of its appeal. It's just another generic cyberpunk action film.

Ack. There is nothing in the comments made here that sounds right. Then again I might be jaded from Warners other failures in adaptation from Batman and Robin to Superman Returns to Watchmen to Jonah Hex just last week. On top of that you see Fox mangle stuff like Dragon Ball or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I've seen this crap before and it looks like it's happening again. Instead of adapting a movie based on the source material, they want to adapt it into some generic movie the studios want to tailor make for what they think audiences want.

So.. We gonna have a weak but salvageable Superman Returns that just (Jon) peters out so that it never gets a sequel? Maybe a From Hell (also by this Akira's Hughes) which is neither here nor there and just does meh all around and was saved maybe only by Depp fans? Maybe we'll get a full on Catwoman, Jonah Hex, or Dragon Ball bomb.

I guess some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Ack. There is nothing in the comments made here that sounds right. Then again I might be jaded from Warners other failures in adaptation from Batman and Robin to Superman Returns to Watchmen to Jonah Hex just last week. On top of that you see Fox mangle stuff like Dragon Ball or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I've seen this crap before and it looks like it's happening again. Instead of adapting a movie based on the source material, they want to adapt it into some generic movie the studios want to tailor make for what they think audiences want.

For a minute there, I thought you were talking about Megan Fox. "Wait, she was in Dragonball Evolution?" And you forgot The Karate Kid. Cause Kung Fu and Karate are the same things..... Rolling Eyes

I should dig up Happy Harry's take on the Akira Movie: link

And honestly, there is one person I don't want even mentioned in passing about this project: this guy.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
You know, I liked Watchmen, I don't see what was so wrong with it.

Course, not something to watch with parents or church goers, but still.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
You know, I liked Watchmen, I don't see what was so wrong with it.

Course, not something to watch with parents or church goers, but still.

I liked Watchmen as well. It can't compete with the original, but I didn't find it utterly bad. I would have preferred if they didn't tamper with some aspects that served a symbolic or meaningful purpose (such as spoiler[Rorschach chaining the one guy up and setting the building on fire, or Rorschach's behavior towards those children of his landlord]) but I still enjoyed the film.

Oh, and I went to the theater to watch it with my mother. It wasn't actually too awkward Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
fanboy baaarrgrggh

You have an incredibly simplistic and not-at-all-accurate view of how movies get made.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
Charred:
Quote:
Am I the only person who didn't watch Akira for the Blood and tits?

You're not, but I don't want a crappy screenplay where the characters are trying to out-one-liner each other for most of the film, either. As for Watchmen, it more likely bombed because of the running time, new ending, and comic book-ey in-jokes than the R.

PetrifiedJello: They're keeping it PG-13, because they can't make their money back if it costs at least $150 million, unless it's a Schwarzenegger Terminator.

Strike Freedom: That's the real problem. It most likely isn't going to be in Japan, and the leads might not even be Japanese. And as much as I love Otomo, he's been a tad off his mark in recent years. [*cough* Steamboy *cough*] Plus, he probably doesn't have as much pull as I'd like anyway. Crying or Very sad

Xenos: Die Hard IV sucked for reasons other than its rating. [*cough* Emo hacker side-kick who takes over, McClane barely doing any hand-to-hand combat, etc.]

Quote:
Never mind this is Warners. They couldn't even get Superman right. Superman! How do you screw up Superman?!

In their defense, it took 'em ten years to get that version off the ground, and Singer should really be getting most of the blame for that one. He had some good talent attached to it, but he seemed to have believed he was hot shit because of the X-Men movies, and didn't want to put in the effort to make the flick accessible to people who hadn't seen Supes anything since part 4, or even that cartoon. He seemed to have forgotten that what made X-Men a success was that he made it work for a generation which hadn't grown up on the series.

Quote:
Then again I might be jaded from Warners other failures in adaptation from Batman and Robin to Superman Returns to Watchmen to Jonah Hex just last week.

Don't forget to include V for Vendetta, Speed Racer, and Where the Wild Things Are. I'd also mention A History of Violence, but that's their subsidiary, New Line.

Sunday: They called it Karate Kid, because of the nostalgic value it holds for people like myself. And Kung Fu Kid would've sounded low budget here, given the history of how the martial art's been misused.

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
For some reason, I was really holding out hope for this one... now I'm almost assured that it will blow.

I'd much rather they take the same money and pump out four of the anime a la Eva. And sweet buttery CRAP let's keep Morgan Freeman out of this. R Lee Ermy or somebody as "the general" is doable, but the penguin narrator guy can stay at home.

But whadda I know? I called BS on that second Batman film for the same reasons.
Morgan Freeman is awesome.

Awesomely repetitive, and willing to embrace that kind of horrific step-and-fetch-it magical black guy stereotype that black filmmakers have been trying to abjure themselves of for YEARS.

I guess if you're not sick of it yet, then he can just "wise" all over this thing for you. Maybe even give some of that narration he does in EVERYTHING.

"I'd like to say Kaneda fought off the sisters..."

You know who would make a great Colonel (thanks Gatsu)? Paul Mooney or Yaphet Koto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6