• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Junjo Come Here

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you rated Casshern Sins perishable? I couldn't disagree more. While I agree that Casshern is a little too emo, the show had amazing production values. I loved the art and music.
Jisu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen Casshern Sins, but all the fans posting about the negative review are sort of making me want to see it. ^^; Maybe it's just how lots of my own favourite series have gotten bad reviews.

As for Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro na ~Crescent Love~ -- sorry, Brighter than the Dawning Blue (why'd Sentai add the "the" in? August's official English title for the game is just Brighter than Dawning Blue.), I think the only reason anybody watched that show is because it's a piece of crap. It's completely unfaithful to the game, the animation is hilariously bad, and the writing is dumb, but that's what makes it so bad it's good.
andyscout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only media I've ever consumed with amnesiac characters done well are The Guin Saga (novels and anime) and Memento (the film).

You obviously haven't seen Eden of the East.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
And admittedly, it is not Shelf Worthy for all audiences.

While perhaps that idea works here (you consider it a high-quality example of its genre), you're putting yourself on a slippery slope here. Arguably anything is Shelf Worthy to somebody. I still think you ought to give something your personal reaction: would I buy this? Would that make you biased? Yes! But that - contrary to internet belief - is what reviews are supposed to be!

Quote:
They believe that if they eat Casshern's body, even a small part of it, they'll live forever (which sounds oddly like Catholicism)

Wow...Congratulations on repeating one of the most appalling anti-Catholic slurs to get passed around among its ignorant opponents! And I say this as someone who isn't Catholic and is often critical of the denomination. That comment was just...are you Catholic? Then maybe you can get away with it, but otherwise, no, just NO.

This is three weeks in a row that I've been underwhelmed by this column. I know there may not be anything you can do about that, and you should write as you believe it ought to be written. But lately, I've really been missing Bamboo's style.

You explained exactly what I have been wanting to say. Erin shouldn't make something Shelf Worthy just because it has all these extras and such.

About the Catholic thing...That's right! Deep down, all us Catholics are evil, power-hungry cannibals that eat flesh like werewolves and drink blood like vampires! Because we want that holy (but) evil power to make us immortal like Christ! To everyone who has this notion of Catholics: Catholicism=Devil Worship. Burn us all at the stake! Twisted Evil Don't take any of what I said seriously. I really was just joking. Believe it or not, if Catholics aren't seen as goody-goodies, they're seen as power-hungry, evil Catholics who aren't that far from worshiping spoiler[Satan] I have to go with vashfanatic on this one. Avoid the religious jokes. No one would like it if someone cracked a muslim/jew/pagan/buddha/atheist/mormon/protestant/anglo-saxon/hindu/etc. joke. They just become stereotypes. Like the evil, devil-worshiping Catholic who wants power and eats flesh and drinks blood.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
It seemed to me that she was just remarking that the idea struck her as being similar to transubstantiation, I don't think that was put in there as some kind of dig or joke.

Have to say that I've never heard of the Catholic = cannibal stereotype before, the only one I'm familiar with is the super-offensive spoiler[Catholic priest = child molester] thing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:

Have to say that I've never heard of the Catholic = cannibal stereotype before, the only one I'm familiar with is the super-offensive spoiler[Catholic priest = child molester] thing.

Yeah, that's new to me too (to the point where I think it may be crazy ranting and not actually "a thing").

Also plenty of people have big senses of humor about religion, not everyone is hypersensitive. Just sayin'.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you enjoyed Junjou Romantica? Well then here is a title I think you might enjoy. It's a beautiful work of art, that truly transcends the medium of animation. It's characters are some of the best developed I have ever come across in not only anime, but most fiction in general.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:

Oh, good grief. How often will Erin have to see comments like this in her column's talkback threads? It's her column now, and personally I can't imagine anything more annoying than continually being held up to someone else's approach to work.

As long as trolls are hungry and have nothing better to do than flail around begging to be fed their daily dose of angst and perform their periodic mellodramatic theater. "Oooohh, woe is me! Ohh, i've been victimized by the columnist!" It makes me feel like I want to barf every time I see it. Seriously, this is probably the one chance to shine each week for some
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Also, can't say I enjoy the bit of double standard going on with Junjou. You state that Misaki is a college student when you should know full well that he's a high school student (since he's studying for his entrance exams). I wonder what you would think of the show if it were a 28 year old male and an 18 year old female?

Erin's a girl and thus the yaoi double-standard is to be expected. Her reaction to Junjou Romantica as positive is the same guys have to something like Kannazuki no Miko even though the content would be reprehensible if Chikane was a guy.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Uh...I think most people...got their points across here. Is there need for further debate?

Ya'll are making my cat upset. >:/ Jack can be a real evil kitten when he's moody.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Also, can't say I enjoy the bit of double standard going on with Junjou. You state that Misaki is a college student when you should know full well that he's a high school student (since he's studying for his entrance exams). I wonder what you would think of the show if it were a 28 year old male and an 18 year old female?

Erin's a girl and thus the yaoi double-standard is to be expected. Her reaction to Junjou Romantica as positive is the same guys have to something like Kannazuki no Miko even though the content would be reprehensible if Chikane was a guy.

Not necessarily. There is only one instance of a non-consensual sexual act in Junjo and it is resolved in what I believe is a rather satisfying - if a bit late - manner in season two.

Also, it's not so much an instance of "horrifying rape" (it's vague enough that I hesitate to use the r-word at all) as it is a moment of uncomfortable trope-adherence, which is thankfully abandoned more and more as the series continues. When you see how the characters develop later on, it seems impossible that they ever shared anything with the cookie-cutter stereotypes they began as.

Junjo is a very genre-savvy show, understand. The author seems to be poking fun at some of the lamer yaoi stereotypes even as she is embracing them. As someone who isn't a fan of common yaoi tropes, I enjoyed the show. *shrugs*

Last edited by neocloud9 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Splitter"]
Megiddo wrote:

The double standerd bugs me but I probablly easn't going to watch Junjio Romantica anyway after reading Hope Chapman's review of the first three DVDs. I've tried to get "into" Yaoi but it's just something I have no taste for I can rember when I read Little Butterfly my first thought was "oh good nobody gets raped in this one." Not really a conversation I want to be haveing with myself when watching an anime or reading a Manga.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Count me as another disagreeing with Casshern's Perishable rating. But I also agree with most other posters that I'd rate it Rental, despite really liking it myself, as I can find it annoying more people than the amount of people that would enjoy it. Guess it's just one of those "hate it or love it" types.

I found the series quite beautiful. Was it sad? Yeah, but I found a lot of the sad moments to be inspirational - these robots/people are looking for ways to truly live now that they know they are dying. It's the ones that give up that are truly sad.

But even aside from the story, I personally thought Casshern: Sins was one of the nicest looking anime I'd seen. Perhaps not the most expensive with fancy CG and whatnot, but I loved the character designs and how they were drawn. It was a different, simpler beauty, and I found myself often commenting on how much I enjoyed it. It really set the mood well. While I can agree to disagree on the other reasons given for it be Perishable, this one I just have a hard time swallowing.

Ah well, to each his own. Just figured I'd show it some support.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
Yeah, that would be like comparing the actors who have played Doctor Who... oh wait...!

*weeps comically* Too Soon! I miss David Tennant!

vashfanatic wrote:
Arguably anything is Shelf Worthy to somebody.

True.

Re: Yaoi: It's only rape the first time... maybe.

Ok, not being a fan of yaoi or non-con (in any genre), I can't help but wonder what the attraction is (with non-con) or what function the non-con serves in yaoi and why it seems so pervasive. Is it just titillation for the female fans? Does yaoi have a gay male following and if so, what might their thoughts be on yaoi's rapey-ness?

Is it just a (formulaic) plot device in yaoi, kinda like what we see in harems, i.e. a completely boring, milquetoast guy suddenly surrounded (by some weak plot device) by a gaggle of impossibly hot girls who're all hot for him now?

The same scenario has been used in romance novels for years now. Basically a romance writer's trope, "Forceable Seduction" fell out of favor for a while, but still makes its way into a few bodice rippers. Much to many readers dismay. Charlaine Harris (who wrote the books "True Blood" was based on), writes about it here:

http://www.charlaineharris.com/bb/bb97.html

So it is really nothing new. Many readers feel that it is kind of a throwback, to when women couldn't give in to their own desires without repercussions, so being "forceably seduced" provides the perfect excuse. How June Cleaver. Rolling Eyes

The Japanese have twisted this trope to include self-professed "straight" male characters, where the "forceable seduction" gives them the excuse to come out-of-the-closet. Basically you are getting the same result, just tailored to fit the seduction scenario between two males.

As a woman, I agree with Charlaine Harris. Most of the gay men I know don't like it applied to them either. Its a very outmoded way to make something that is "forbidden" more palatable to mainstream (whatever that is). Since most of the people I know are comfortable with their sexuality, the "forceable seduction" scenario always gets an eye-roll.

As for Erin's Catholic reference, I think she might be off base since the Japanese seem to utilize Buddhist/Shinto parables in things like this. The "Eat flesh of an immortal to become immortal" is nothing new. Mermaid Forest, anyone? The whole idea of a "life predetermined to end is a meaningful life" is not a western concept either. ( there might be a little Confucianism working its way into the mix as well).
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
Haven't read the Shelf Life yet, sorry Erin, but I looked at the Shelf Obsessed pictures. As a fan of City of Heroes/Villains I'm glad to see some one has it on their shelfs!

John Casey, have you tried Going Rogue yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8