• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Aggregator Site Hosts Removed Scans Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I find it kind of ironic that manga fox is handled by a company, that isn't giving any money to the artists, while I've read numerous times that people don't like buying manga in the States, because it's released by some giant evil company, that isn't giving enough money to the artists.

Yeah, that's the kind of nonsense I never understand. Especially since VIZ, Tokyopop, Vertical, Dark Horse and co. are all paying artists everytime you buy a book.

Here's some stuff I pointed out from the recent ladywhouploadedanimeandwenttoprison thread regarding manga royalties-

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/08/surviving-in-the-manga-industry/

Ed Chavez of Vertical had this to offer "So while the comics do not need to be printed, there are still other costs that come into play (such as file fees, file conversion costs…) if there already is a print version. When there isn’t a print version there biggest costs –licensing, royalties, translation, file fees, lettering, editing, distribution and marketing — are still there. Printing is usually only 10% of a book’s costs; the rest of the fees make up more than 50%. (And with digital royalties alone tend to go up 5 to 10%)."

http://www.japanator.com/talking-to-the-publishers-about-the-anti-piracy-coalition-15209.phtml

Considering Ed points out here that manga licensing contracts are very beneficial towards creators-

"I want to answer Sanori's question here cause I see this type of comment pop up here and there.

Creators get up to 20% of the sale of each book and they often get advances in the form of license fees that cost publishers thousands of dollars per volume licensed.

Publishers might get at most 10% of a books cover price to start. Now if a book becomes a hit (say more than 50,000 copies) then publishers start to see that percentage go up to 20% (as reprints begin to negate many of the overhead costs that are needed in manga licensing and production).

So by not buying manga readers are definitely impacting the creators as much or more than the publishers."

So yeah, basically, when you buy a licensed manga, about 20% of the sale goes to the manga creator. Out of that 10 bucks you pay for your manga, 2 bucks goes to the creator. You're also paying the publishers [japanese and domestic], translators, editors, distributors, printers, retailers and employees of those retail stores. You do a lot of good stuff when you consumer your manga legally.

*hands lunitoonz 50 points for posting the Timm Batman Rogue's gallery art*
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
GeekyBlackGirl wrote:
The companies should hire internet watchdogs on their staff to monitor this type of stuff.

With what money?

Hollywood studios can do that sort of thing, but most book publishers don't have that kind of capital.

You could probably bribe some inexperenced otakus with some figurines or a few boxes of Pocky for a days work.

Oh wait, thats what got the Mortgage Industry to get into trouble. Nevermind.

Tamaria wrote:
Simple: most Japanese companies don't want their products to be distributed that way. They have little faith in digital distribution and if you let people outside of the company who licensed the manga translate it, they'll lose even more control over the final product.

And they wonder why pirates are (CENSORED) them all the way to the bank?
yblees

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
wrote:
MangaFox is owned by a company called Hangzhou NOEZ Technology Co., Ltd ..... Hangzhou NOEZ is based in Hangzhou, China

Mangafox's owner is based in China...?! *facepalm*
Good luck anybody trying to sue them Rolling Eyes
Granamonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is pure speculation, but China and Japan have really been going at it over the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands (or you can just go with Pinnacle...) lately, and China has held protests against Japan and has cut off mineral supply to Japan as well. I'm sure the company that owns Mangafox is thinking that the Chinese Gov. doesn't care what a coalition of mainly Japanese companies want or ask right now.

You can keep up on the whole ordeal if you wish on a number of sites, I use mdn.mainichi.jp . For those of you that don't know, A little over a month ago a Chinese fishing boat was near the Senkaku Islands. Japan is recognized to own the waters around the Senkaku Islands, though China has continually challenged this claim, but the fishing boat wrecked into the Japanese Life Guard/Navy boat. Both governments started pointing fingers and the debate over who owns the waters there heated up again, and now both countries are rather upset at one another. I'd go into the details, but I won't bore you all here unless someone's interested in hearing more hahaha. Long story short: Chinese gov. won't care what Mangafox does because right now they're pissed at Japan.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Has anyone read their legal disclaimer, its just amusing how they claim the images and everything they have on their site is owned by them. LOL

Quote:
Legal Disclamer

MangaFox is a manga fan site and is a non-profit website dedicated to serving visitors with quality written manga news, reviews, and interviews plus available manga resources. Use of the MangaFox website shows your agreeing to the terms listed on this page, along with the terms located on our Terms of Use page. MangaFox reserves the right to make modifications to any of these policies at any time without notice to it's visitor's.

MangaFox and all of it's original content and images are the sole property of the staff of this site and it's contributors. Furthermore, MangaFox is protected by the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Unauthorized use of any original pieces originating from MangaFox are subject to criminal and civil penalties. If it is found that you have taken original work from MangaFox, you will be asked to remove it willingly and peacefully within 24 hours, or risk possible legal action against you or your website.

Gotta love the irony. "Don't steal our stuff and use it on your site, even though that's what we do constantly to other people."

If any legal action does come of this, I hope that their legal disclaimer gets used against them. They flat out said that copyright law applies to them, so it's only fair that the rights holders get to use it against them.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
ruriruri007 wrote:
According to mangafox the return of these manga is not, as many claim, a simple case of pointing a web browser to a URL but rather an exploitation requiring advanced knowledge.

Well done. Love that episode, too.

yblees wrote:
wrote:
MangaFox is owned by a company called Hangzhou NOEZ Technology Co., Ltd ..... Hangzhou NOEZ is based in Hangzhou, China

Mangafox's owner is based in China...?! *facepalm*
Good luck anybody trying to sue them Rolling Eyes

No kidding. Any Chinese anime fan that I've spoken to at my anime club has said that there is basically no concept of copyright infringement there. Legal action across borders is hard enough without dealing with that sort of problem.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Has anyone read their legal disclaimer, its just amusing how they claim the images and everything they have on their site is owned by them. LOL

Quote:
Legal Disclamer

MangaFox is a manga fan site and is a non-profit website dedicated to serving visitors with quality written manga news, reviews, and interviews plus available manga resources. Use of the MangaFox website shows your agreeing to the terms listed on this page, along with the terms located on our Terms of Use page. MangaFox reserves the right to make modifications to any of these policies at any time without notice to it's visitor's.

MangaFox and all of it's original content and images are the sole property of the staff of this site and it's contributors. Furthermore, MangaFox is protected by the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Unauthorized use of any original pieces originating from MangaFox are subject to criminal and civil penalties. If it is found that you have taken original work from MangaFox, you will be asked to remove it willingly and peacefully within 24 hours, or risk possible legal action against you or your website.

Gotta love the irony. "Don't steal our stuff and use it on your site, even though that's what we do constantly to other people."

If any legal action does come of this, I hope that their legal disclaimer gets used against them. They flat out said that copyright law applies to them, so it's only fair that the rights holders get to use it against them.

The problem is, if Mangafox is deviously smart, they could, in retrospect, trademark/copyright the stuff their pirating. It has happened.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
People, do you have any idea how expensive a good lawyer is? Not to mention that if the people you want to sue are in another country, you have to hire a completely different kind of lawyer with even more specialized skills than you would if they were in the US.
Why would you sue them in China? Their revenue is likely mostly coming from the United States, and primarily due to United States viewers ... sue them in the United States. There's a substantial chance that they won't even show up to defend the case ... they are, after all, destroying dollars worth of market for a fraction of a penny of revenue for themselves, so its not there's anything left over in MangaFox's revenues to pay the owners, if they hire a good US copyright lawyer.

That's part of the speculation that they are making hay while the sun shines: that they realize that a case is going to be brought, they can't afford to fight it, and if they fight it they are likely to lose, so they are going to generate the revenue they can now and if they have to start blocking US IP addresses down the track, well, cross that bridge when they come to it.

Richard J. wrote:
Heck, since there are already so many people who scanlate and fansub for free, just offer them a legitimate place to do it! All it would take is having them give an electronic signature and some very minor consideration from both parties and you could have something that might work that would have contract law backing. Why not bring these people, some of whom aren't actively trying to kill the industry, back into the fold?

If the aggregators can't get at the scanlator/fansubber's material except by taking it from a legit website, that would strengthen the legal arguments against them while simultaneously benefiting the copyright holders by having the people who read those scanlations and watch those fansubs coming to their website. Plus even many defenders of fansubs and scanlations are bothered by aggregators and others who take the legit scan or stream and host it illegally.

This is something that Erica Friedman discusses and that OpenManga has been working on for over a year, so it's probably easier said than done.

For manga that are licensed for print publication, a growing amount of online viewable manga is already being done, but as already mentioned, its not as cheap to do it when you pay your workers as when you depend on site volunteers uploading work that's been ripped off. The kind of approach above is most likely for manga that are presently not able to be licensed in the US because of a too small market ... but then that means that the member-contributed subtitles will be for titles that have a small market, so its not automatic that individual mangaka in Japan will decide that its worth their while.

Sunday Silence wrote:
The problem is, if Mangafox is deviously smart, they could, in retrospect, trademark/copyright the stuff their pirating. It has happened.
Copyright is not trademark: you don't have to register the copyright for it to be valid, in either the Berne Convention countries or the WTO member countries. In the US, you once had to publish the work in a Pan-American convention country for it to be valid in the US, as a legacy from back in the 1800's when we were the big den of copyright piracy, but in the 1980's we joined the Berne Convention, and as a result moved to copyright on creation.

And even if China recognized the copyright, it doesn't make much difference, since they are not making money from the Chinese market.

Last edited by agila61 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
People, do you have any idea how expensive a good lawyer is? Not to mention that if the people you want to sue are in another country, you have to hire a completely different kind of lawyer with even more specialized skills than you would if they were in the US.
Why would you sue them in China? Their revenue is likely mostly coming from the United States, and primarily due to United States viewers ... sue them in the United States. There's a substantial chance that they won't even show up to defend the case ... they are, after all, destroying dollars worth of market for a fraction of a penny of revenue for themselves, so its not there's anything left over in MangaFox's revenues to pay the owners, if they hire a good US copyright lawyer.

You act as if this has even a remote chance of succeeding. US companies have been bitching for years about Chinese infringement on intellectual property, and that's with companies that totally dwarf anything in the manga anti-piracy coalition.

Moreover, how do you plan to collect? Seize their assets in the US, assuming they even have any?

The truth is that Manga Fox is next to impossible to touch (unless you convince the Chinese government to crack down, and I suspect IP protection of manga is fairly low down on their priorities), and it was only a matter of time before they put the series they took down originally back up.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
The truth is that Manga Fox is next to impossible to touch (unless you convince the Chinese government to crack down, and I suspect IP protection of manga is fairly low down on their priorities), and it was only a matter of time before they put the series they took down originally back up.

If the IP holders play their cards right, they could use the Senkaku/Daiyo/Pinnacle Islands furor recently to their own advantage, granted their willing to lie and play extremely dirty.

I leave it up to them to figure it out.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
No, it's quite easy. The issue is the primary assumption is false. Nothing is actually in China.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
Moreover, how do you plan to collect? Seize their assets in the US, assuming they even have any?
The point is not to turn a profit on the lawsuit itself, its to interfere with their ability to make money in their enterprise so they have no incentive to do it.

Most of their revenue originates in the US, most of their revenue originates due to views by people with US IP addresses, take the views and cash flow from the US out of the picture, and there's a lot less revenue available to pay a CDN and leave anything left over for the enterprise.

They are a focus precisely because they were the biggest of these sites by a company domiciled in China ~ OneManga was easier, because it was domiciled in the US, but if they can take out or cripple MangaFox, most of the other thirty sites on their list seem likely to fold without a serious fight.
GeekyBlackGirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
GeekyBlackGirl wrote:
The companies should hire internet watchdogs on their staff to monitor this type of stuff.

With what money?

Hollywood studios can do that sort of thing, but most book publishers don't have that kind of capital.

With paper money.
kensh1ro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[D]espite having removed these and several hundred other titles in June after the formation of an anti-manga piracy coalition.

Slightly Off-topic:
What does that piracy coalition have against manga?!
Wait.

On-topic (should that be hyphenated?):
Well, since I'm weaning myself off of pirated copies of licensed material (YouTube's not helping the anime aspect, though), this is good news for most of me, bad news for the part of me that irrationally refuses to buy anything online, yet has no booksellers in what he considers a "reasonable distance."

In short, I wish there was some practical way that manga licensers could do what their anime counterparts are doing (Hulu, YouTube, their own sites). Maybe a static add between chapters, but that's for people who like to read an entire volume in one go (me). Or, that could work for chapter-by-chapter guys, too.

But, I'm sure they've already considered that...
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
GeekyBlackGirl wrote:
adam_omega wrote:
GeekyBlackGirl wrote:

With what money?

With paper money.

The majority of manga pubs in the US are small business with small staffs- even giant VIZ has only around 100 employees and is categorized as a small business. Smaller pubs like Vertical have only about 10 or so staff members handling everything. Go Comi had just about 5 staff members. And in Japan, many of the publishers outside the big 3 [Kodansha, Shuiesha, Shogakukan] are also small companies. The vast majority of artists in Japan and in the US live check to check as freelancers, with only a small minority getting into bigger money with TV/Movie deals, and even then they're by no means living oppulently in many cases.

They don't have the kind of money it takes to shut MangaFox down individually, which is why they formed the coalition, and even then it will take a lot of work.

You seem pretty ignorant of the daily lives of artists and the realities of publishing [a constant reliance on continued sales, small staffs, continually paying fees and licenses etc.] if all you can reply is "with paper money". If publishers have paper money, it's mostly being used to pay artists, licensors, employees, printeres, distributors and possibly investors if it's a recent startup. Many comic publishers are literally a guy [or a lady] and a few employees [1 or 2 permanent/fulltime if they're lucky, with an assortment of freelancers] running out of the publishers house or a small office. The there's the self publishers out there just trying to make costs back on printing or webhosting for their comics. That's why it sucks so much that people cluelessly rip off artists and publishers such much. They are by no means mega corporations.

I'm going to assume you're not saying this stuff to be spiteful, and honestly don't know how small an industry comics/manga are in North America. Or how much work is involved in making them . I'd suggest reading through http://www.adistantsoil.com Colleen Doran's blog to get a better sense what the business is like, warts and all, good and bad. Read other comic professionals feelings about these issues, and you might get a bit more insight into things, and why Yana Toboso animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-16/black-butler-author-decries-illegal-videos-downloads was so pissed at fans for bootlegging her work recently. Or why manga pubs dislike mangafox http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/08/20/the-manga-industry-speaks-taking-stock-in-tough-times/ Educate yourself. I'm sure like most fans you mean well, love your manga and your fave cartoonists, and don't mean them any ill will. Be a better fan :) Support your fave artists ^_^! Support the hardworking publishers! Support legit print and digital!

Understand why MangaFox is scum, let your friends know, and make the world a better place :) Most fans aren't bad fans [though some seem to really try their darndest 0_O], they just don't know about all this stuff, and that ignorance can be pretty dangerous when they get their hands on something like Mangafox. Don't be taken advantage of by pirates who are ripping off your fave artists. They're abusing naive fans as much as they are the artists.

Last edited by Paploo on Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
kensh1ro wrote:

In short, I wish there was some practical way that manga licensers could do what their anime counterparts are doing (Hulu, YouTube, their own sites). Maybe a static add between chapters, but that's for people who like to read an entire volume in one go (me). Or, that could work for chapter-by-chapter guys, too.

But, I'm sure they've already considered that...

http://www.shonensunday.com/top.shtml That's why VIZ is doing with their Sigikii and Shonen Sunday sites http://sigikki.com/

If you want to see more offerings like it, keep visiting their sites and read the chapters. Buy the titles serialized on it too if possible. Show them there's a demand and help them make a profit.

http://www.yenpress.com/yenplus/ Yen Press has the Yen Plus subscription too. Every pub has moved into digital in some way, but fans need to support it, and reject bootlegged sites, if it's going to grow.

PS-- This is to everyone on the thread- being against piracy does not mean being against digital. I've been making webcomics for a decade- digital can be great if the artist is a part of it and open to it. When they're taken out of it though, and when their rights are abused, it's a big problem (this more then anythignelse is why many artists are skeptical of digital- and frankly, countless threads of people whinging on why they need scanlations does not make you feel like making webcomics).

And being for digital isn't about defending piracy. If you want digital, support the real thing, not the poser looking to get rich quick or an internet ego stroke for something taht isn't even theirs. Don't make those mistakes. These are assumptions so many fans make in these sorts of threads.

Last edited by Paploo on Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8