• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz Develops Live-Action Remake of Noir Action Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
ittoujuu wrote:
You know...of all the shows they could have picked to adapt, I was like, "Noir? Really?" Although a lot of my blame is directed squarely at Koichi Mashimo and Bee Train, who have perfected the art of slow-ass pacing without having meaning in that slowness to a science, Noir was still basically 13 episodes of story poured into a 26-episode vessel. It just...wasn't that interesting. There weren't any developed characters outside of the small main cast, and the main cast wasn't all that interesting in just their interactions with each other. Also, there was like...no men in the show, except when they needed someone to intercept a bullet shot by one of the classy dames.

It would be hard for a live-action remake to actually be a more sleep-inducing show than the anime was, so maybe they can take what's good about the concept and polish it up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Noir is a great show. The problem is you and your OCD. I'm so tired of n00b anime/film fans who demand everything to be so fast paced all the time. It's annoying and they're moronic and have no repsect for the art of film.

I'd just like to ward off this rush to draw entirely inaccurate conclusions about me based on the fact I didn't like a show that you like. I'm not a "noob" anime fan, first of all. Secondly, I don't have OCD, nor am I someone who demands that every show be action-based. In fact, I have a higher tolerance for "slow" stories than most people I know. Where many people will get irritated if a show doesn't drop them into the action, or lingers on characters, I'm okay with slower buildup, because what's happening there is character or world-building of the type that can't be done when one is gunning through a storyline. That's why I tend to like anime or books more than movies - because movies tend to adhere to an ideal of having really taut scripts that try to be as lean as possible, and I like the kinds of things that are "unnecessary but show different sides to the characters." I like Mushishi. I like Honey & Clover. I like Natsume's Book of Friends. These are all "slow" shows that benefit from the way their narrative speed is handled.

My issue with Noir - which as I said is more of a global issue with Koichi Mashimo/Bee Train's series - is that I feel it doesn't handle those slow times well. Instead of the slow times feeling dense with a different kind of development, the slow scenes often felt vacant, like an aimless walk. This isn't an issue of action or inaction, but of pacing. If Noir made those slow scenes more meaningful, I'd single it out for pacing issues much less.

The series had other issues - I felt like the series never conveyed why the whole matter with Soldats was really important (as in, a "real world" importance outside of just the immediate impact on the characters' present lives), and I remember feeling the ending was weak. It's been probably 8 years since I watched the series, so my memory of exact details is a little foggy.

On the plus side, I sure do like Yuki Kajiura and her music. I own the Noir OSTs, at least.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote
Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou are episodic. Honey and Clover is slice of life. None of those are about slowly building up some sort of story based on past memories and mystery.

Les Soldats are important because they're basically a secret organization in France.. Think of a more militant Masons group. They seek to control the world in all facets. The ending, from what I recall from 6 or so years ago, was basicallyspoiler[ Kirika and Mirelle killing Altena, the very person who had raised Kirika as an assasin and who told Kirika to kill Mirelle's parents.] I may be wrong though. I should probably rewatch the series sometime.
loka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
well, it's better than having Phantom chosen for a remake.
Sorce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The ending, from what I recall from 6 or so years ago, was basicallyspoiler[ Kirika and Mirelle killing Altena, the very person who had raised Kirika as an assasin and who told Kirika to kill Mirelle's parents.]
That's the ending, yes.

Re-watching is still probably a good idea though. Then the fanrage will be fresh when the remake doesn't meet expectations! Cool
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
well, it's better than having Phantom chosen for a remake.

True, or Bee Train's Avenger for that matter.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the middle of rewatching Noir now. It is still one of my all-time favorites. I'm not sure how well it would translate into a single movie though. Every episode contains a piece of the puzzle that Mireille and Kirika are trying to solve, whether it be new information or memory fragments from their pasts. They may be large puzzle pieces, or small, but every episode has one. Condensing it all into a two hour movie could be a challenge.

I too agree that Yuki Kajiura's music is indispensible. It sets the tone for events in the show remarkably well, and is one of the best OST's I've ever heard. I rarely buy soundtracks, but for Noir I bought all three CD's.

Whether the movie be good, bad, or indifferent, though, I would still see it.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
i can remember being blown away by an NPR interview with Raimi back when he did The Quick and The Dead. Raimi's knowledge and excitement for the history of the evolution of pistol-making really surprised and impressed me. he made sure every gunfighter in the show had a different weapon, with different advantages and disadvantages, and then mixed and matched the guns with the character personalities. really sweet attention to details.

i'd be interested to see how much involvement and investment he'd put into Noir.
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Although I never watched "Noir", it's good to see that another action movie entirely starring female leads is currently getting developed, regardless of the financial failures of a few action heroine movies like "Elektra" and "Catwoman". It goes to show you that there are some U.S.-based filmmamkers not willing to give up on certain genres or subgenres that easily. It's just a matter of how one plays his/her cards right.
Sora N

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I loved the anime series; however, I refuse to watch a live-action of Noir, because live-action will not do this anime series justice. Plus I have never seen a “good” live-action adaptation from an anime series (whether it’s from Japan or Hollywood.)
anne_elise

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Stop this... someone please... stop this... anyone who has the ear of Sam Raimi... talk some sense into him...

There is no such thing as a good American live-action remake of an anime... every single one of them has SUCKED... this will be no different.

... if it ends up being different, then I will retract this, but this sounds like one of the 10 worst ideas in television ever...
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I always thought Noir would have made great source material for a live-action movie, as the story and its mechanics would be easy to transition. It looks like a TV series here, which works fine too, and Raimi and Tapert have a good track record. Starz has had a vested interest in anime, so the move seems right up their alley, too. I really look forward to their interpretation and hope it will increase interest in the anime series and the genre itself. Although, I really hope that they keep the cast's ethnicities the same and don't "whitewash" it. Its diversity was one of its best aspects.

And knowing the two producers, I hope they don't focus heavily on implying lesbianism. I'm probably in the minority, but its really getting tiring seeing that trope played whenever two girls are on an action show together. Oh, and let's see some actual blood this time. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No, I'm referring to the original movie. Nikita had a trainer who was female if I recall correctly, but she went on missions solo.

If you're referring to the original Luc Besson film then, no, her trainer was a man. And she was sent on solo missions most of the time... but not always.

And I didn't feel any implied lesbianism or even the slightest subtle homoerotic direction from Noir. Seems more like a fan fantasy for giggles. If anything it felt more like a mother/daughter relationship. Or at least one of a legal guardian over an adopted child, or even as an owner over a stray cat which is somewhat how it started out. Those were my impressions.

The show was okay. It would be good as a mini series. And they have to keep the original show's music. I don't think this will be a problem. They already have the music, they just need to toss it in, and maybe they'll get another guy on board to compose a few background pieces or mix the original tracks. 'Canta Per Me' is so awesome and the music really made the show if anything...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If they keep Kajiura's music or get her to make a new score, I'm sold.

Noir is not Noir if there isn't Kajiura's music though.

While not American she has at least done live action - she did the music for the Boogiepop and Others movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
I'm not sure how well it would translate into a single movie though. Every episode contains a piece of the puzzle that Mireille and Kirika are trying to solve, whether it be new information or memory fragments from their pasts. They may be large puzzle pieces, or small, but every episode has one. Condensing it all into a two hour movie could be a challenge.

I think the important thing, is not to try. Just tell one part of the story, and make it more episodic. Don't set us up for the trillogy, which was all the rage before 3D took over (what is it with the nuumber 3?) Don't try to condense 11 hours of story into 2 hours. Simply go into the universe, tell a self-contained story, and if you do it well then do it again.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Another option: rather than adapt the 26 episode anime, make a movie that picks up where the anime ended. That could be interesting. Fans of the show have long wondered what happened to the girls after the showdown at the Manor, and there has been debate over what the two shots at the end meant. This could be an opportunity to answer those questions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5