• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Working!! Restaurant Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Is Takanashi -> Katanashi funny? I don't speak Japanese, so I wouldn't know. I probably wouldn't even recognize this as a joke if I read it in subtitles, I would think it was a typo.

They make it clear though. She says it under many occasions, and in a number of them, the protagonist tries to correct her.
There should be an alternative for the pratogonist's first name, but would the company be smart enough for find it?

Good to see good shows that are often overlooked getting a license somewhere affordable to import from.
Good old people crying over the lack of dub should at least try to understand the company's circumstances.

Last edited by egoist on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
awesome! It'll be great to be able to watch this show legally. Smile Still don't understand the need for the name change though. :/
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Still don't understand the need for the name change though. :/

You can always read the other comments. First try googling "Working!!", and then, just like Zalis, try to tell a friend that you're currently watching Working!!.
A: "What are you doing?"
B: "I'm watching Working!!."
A: "Wait, are you watching or working? Make up your mind."

The name change isn't as harmful as, say, When They Cry, because in this case, at least, they're using something more than relevant; which is the place they spend almost the entire series at.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, call me delusional but i've never known Working!! to be called anything else. And I only saw one episode, but awesome for NIS. This should just be the stepping stone of more great things to come, if Toradora wasn't that already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
The name change isn't as harmful as, say, When They Cry, because in this case, at least, they're using something more than relevant; which is the place they spend almost the entire series at.
Yes, changing "Cicadas" to "They" is so harmful. Not to mention I've seen "When they Cry" as an appropriate subtitle to many of Ryuukishi's works, including the sound novels themselves.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Harmful enough to keep me away from it for years. I knew this anime was rather popular, but the image ANN had added to this name made me think it was some lolicon romance, thus why I never bothered checking the content itself.
How is my action any different from a costumer checking a shelf?
When the Cicadas Cry would be somewhat enigmatic, while When They Cry sounds like a plain romance.

By the way, I'm not saying that it was that harmful, but just that changing Working!! to Wagnaria!! was a more harmless and beneficial move.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
animeroxsmysoxs wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:
I am so excited~! I didn't think this would make it state side.

Not wild about the name change... but I can kinda understand that after reading what you guys had to say I guess.

I freakin love NIS. I think they're going to be pretty successful. Now... all they need to do is pick up Kimi ni Todoke and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and possibly Shugo Chara and I'll be super happy!

My sister is hoping that Shugo Chara gets dubbed :]

Anyway, I'm happy that Working!! is licensed but was hoping for it to be dubbed :[ oh well...

I am also on the shugo chara bandwagon, but due to the number of episodes, the only way we will ever see a dub, is if it gets broadcasted on TV, I personally think it would appeal to the young hanna montana fans, but that is just me, and I know there are those who think because it has a cross dressing guy in it, it wont sell, but I say it will, since that character doesn't cross dress because he likes it, but because of family tradition,

so come on disney, or nick, or even CN, you are missing a chance for a show that has great merchandise appeal, sure it is not K-On, but it could make money here

You can bet the K-ON! will be popular here :] Can't wait for the English Dub to come out
Pretty sad to see that they don't show Anime on TV like they did :[ Really missing Toonami and I wish it would come back...
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
I wouldn't refuse to buy this series solely on a silly title change. That would be as bad as refusing to buy simply because NISA isn't automatically pricing its releases into bargain bin territory. And I know no one here is doing that, Blood-. Wink

Um, no. Something being overpriced is a deal breaker. Especially in this economy.
And yeah, I don't get the fuss over the name change either; I mean, it's going to be the name of the restaurant the characters work at; what's so bad about that???
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
We all know that Toradora did well so why isn't NIS holding up their part of the bargain and dubbing it.

'Sold well' by whose definition? NISA's? It might be interesting to see how its sales compare to titles that ADV initially put out subbed-only. I bought the two Toradora sets, and I know a couple of other people who did, too, but I haven't come across sales numbers.

Quote:
It's cool and all that they got this show, but unless they show signs of dubbing soon I will loose interest in them for good.

I would think that NISA's costs of dubbing would be a bit higher than for companies who own their own studios, so they might require much higher sales numbers before they consider it.

The only thing that I can suggest is that you apply more pressure to the companies that dub anime, in order to have them be the ones who license the titles that you're interested in (or all anime, whether you want 'em or not).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would think that NISA's costs of dubbing would be a bit higher than for companies who own their own studios, so they might require much higher sales numbers before they consider it.

Actually, in one of the Answerman columns, he said that's not always the case. It can be cheaper to outsource a dub depending on how many people are in the cast. Because Funimation and ADV pay all the actors themselves, that can be more expensive than paying one lump some to another studio who pays the actors. From what I remember of Tordora, there aren't a lot characters, at least not enough that would require numerous professional actors (background characters can be played by the director or others working on the show ala Tony Oliver and Matt Greenfield in most of their directed dubs), so it could be a fairly inexpensive dub. However, I don't know how much a difference it is that it's 25 episodes long, so that could cancel out the savings of not having a big cast.

Of course, the sales numbers are still higher regardless because it's a dub, but I don't think them having to outsource versus having their own studio affects that number much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
I personally don't care about the title change here, in fact I think it would be more memorable move there. This is because a lot of people would be REALLY confused if they come across an anime series that is titled "Working!!" (which some people would think that someone is working on an anime).

Apparently, I don't mind NIS America licensing more anime (as long as it is a title that I personally don't care about), but I would rather prefer them re-release their sub-only anime with dubs in the future. In fact, I feel really uncomfortable of NIS America picking up Working!! (or any anime in particular) because they haven't taken steps into dubbing. If NIS America doesn't re-release Toradora! with a dub by 2012, I'm putting all the blame in this motherfucking douchebag (in fact, blame everything on this guy for Toradora! not getting a dub). I really want to hear more Hynden Walch and Cristina Vee (as Minorin and Taiga respectively from Toradora!).

Note that I'm giving NIS America two years to do this.

I agree, it would be nice to have NISA contract NGP or Animaze dub Toradora.

You're right about two years, because thats how long it normally takes a new label to start dubbing.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
So if Working!! were dubbed, then what would Poplar call Souta by screwing up a syllable each time? Since dub tracks call characters by their first name, so therefore the Takanashi -> Katanashi jokes (and there are a lot of them) wouldn't work. So what would the English dub be? Soda? Har har. That's so funny. Rolling Eyes

The Clannad dub still have Nagisa call Tomoya by the last name most of the time. But I think this is joke that can be worked around, just like how Bang Zoom! worked out the jokes at Lucky Star when they are dubbing them in English.

And I prefer them to dub Toradora! first, then license more anime. Otherwise, they'll be slowly losing their supporting fans like Bandai is doing.

............... you took the worked right out of my mouth. We all know that Toradora did well so why isn't NIS holding up their part of the bargain and dubbing it.

It's cool and all that they got this show, but unless they show signs of dubbing soon I will loose interest in them for good.

Because they're a reletively new label and because they have NO experience dub investments,also they are a pretty small label too. Give them time.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
Is Takanashi -> Katanashi funny? I don't speak Japanese, so I wouldn't know. I probably wouldn't even recognize this as a joke if I read it in subtitles, I would think it was a typo.

They make it clear though. She says it under many occasions, and in a number of them, the protagonist tries to correct her.
There should be an alternative for the pratogonist's first name, but would the company be smart enough for find it?

But why do they have to be smart to find it? Unless there is a specific meaning to flipping the Ka/Ta in Japanese (which won't matter to 99% of the audience for this show R1), it's just mispronounciation, and is that really funny? Afterall, anybody can change a sound in a name, right emoist?

(Now you correct me about your name and we all rofl, because that is a hilarious joke.)
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
(Now you correct me about your name and we all rofl, because that is a hilarious joke.)

You're getting down to the show's essence rather than the spoken language. Did you watch it, or are you just theorizing?
A lot of jokes don't sound funny at all when you simplify it (ignore the surroundings, characters speaking, circumstances). That's why originality isn't everything in entertainment, mainly comedy.

Now, I assume that you've hardly watched Japanese anime, because a lot of comedy ones rely on mispronunciations.

Smart enough = figurative speech.

Last edited by egoist on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
No, I haven't seen it, that's why I'm asking. Unless there was a second meaning to the switch, I don't see how one specific misprounciation would be better than another. And I think it's a moot point anyway unless you speak Japanese and can understand the double meaning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7