• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - NERVous Breakdown

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
Truly enjoyed this podcast, and surprised that V guy hasn't yet complained about anything here yet.

I need to read both the manga and the first concept of NGE.
I am also surprised that you guys did not bring up the Shinji masterbation on Asuka scene.

Truly look forward for the other endings of Evan-jew-lawn, godspeed Anno and to you too Sadamoto.

I now have to get back into watching Desert Punk Very Happy
_Scythe_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Truly enjoyed this podcast, and surprised that V guy hasn't yet complained about anything here yet.

I need to read both the manga and the first concept of NGE.
I am also surprised that you guys did not bring up the Shinji masterbation on Asuka scene.

Truly look forward for the other endings of Evan-jew-lawn, godspeed Anno and to you too Sadamoto.

I now have to get back into watching Desert Punk Very Happy

V and Monkey were both asked to be on for the same show. They couldn't agree to be on together so they had V on separate. The V discussion was more about the industry and V's own agenda and views while this one was focused on eva. Both sides got to take even if V's wasn't about Eva.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
I just couldn't get into Eva, I don't really get it. It's just not my thing, probably because I'm not a big fan of giant mecha anime.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I just couldn't get into Eva, I don't really get it. It's just not my thing, probably because I'm not a big fan of giant mecha anime.

I'm not a big fan of giant robot anime, either, but Evangelion has been one of my favourites for about 12 years now. At the risk of sounding like one of 'those' Eva fans, Evangelion is more than just a giant robot show.
To me, Evangelion isn't about the robots. It's a character drama, and the main focus is on these characters who are so broken, and trying to find some kind of happiness. Admittedly, the fact that the show revolves around a cast of desperate people turns a lot of people off of it. Myself, the fact that the characters aren't perfect, and have real emotional and mental issues to deal with made me connect with them more.
_Scythe_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

I'm not a big fan of giant robot anime, either, but Evangelion has been one of my favourites for about 12 years now. At the risk of sounding like one of 'those' Eva fans, Evangelion is more than just a giant robot show.
To me, Evangelion isn't about the robots. It's a character drama, and the main focus is on these characters who are so broken, and trying to find some kind of happiness. Admittedly, the fact that the show revolves around a cast of desperate people turns a lot of people off of it. Myself, the fact that the characters aren't perfect, and have real emotional and mental issues to deal with made me connect with them more.

I hate gundam and most giant robot anime. But I liked evangelion more for the characters. To each their own I suppose. Cool
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Loved the podcast!

My first exposure to Evangelion was Adult Swim, still early in my anime journey.

It was OK, until episode 16 (Splitting of the Breast). That is when it changed from just entertainment to, WOAH! there is a whole lot more going on here than your normal show!
After its run, I bought the End of Evangelion. I too was just blown away by the crazy apocalypse images. Still one of my favorite movies. Through it all, it was the characters that kept me interested.
People rag on Shinji. People HATE the ending to Mahoromatic. My argument for both is you take a 14 year old kid (or younger) and put him through that and what do you expect to get?

As far as the movies vs series endings, I am convergent type. I think they are the same story, and as such, adore the movie so much more. I am always up for a rewatch of End of Evangelion.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
Isn't the real question: Who will be discussing RahXephon next podcast?
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Surely one of the few shows that deserves its own podcast.
Oh and Rahxephon was just a romantic version of Evangelion, so while a great show, lacks the depth eva has.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
You do know that Rahxephon was based on Brave Raideen and not Evangelion right?
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon was a tip of the hat to Brave Reideen, but I don't think it could've turned out the way it did without Evangelion. Then again, Evangelion certainly couldn't have turned out the way it did without Brave Reideen, so round and round we go.

If you want to talk stuff that is hilariously, shamelessly derivative of Evangelion, start with Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventure (which is a very good, very lightweight little parody, if you ask me) and De:Vadasy (which is based on a crummy game that steals robot design and tons of imagery from Eva). That, to me, is Evangelion's true legacy - how it affected subsequent anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
If I had to vote for worst "in the style of Eva" show in recent years I'd have to go for Argentosoma, which while pretty shameless in it's following had one or two good ideas...unfortunatley the rest of the show was listless, drab and just plain boring, with some incredibly uninspired art (hey lady, you're the leader of a top-level para-military organization...COMB YOUR DAMN HAIR, PLEASE!)

Didn't Tomino claim that Brainpowered would be bigger than Eva, or is that just internet hyperbole? I haven't watched it yet but the DVDs I bought for real cheap are sitting on my shelf, daring me...
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
You do know that Rahxephon was based on Brave Raideen and not Evangelion right?

Nope i didn't know, but there's no way around the fact that it plays like evangelion. Even the cast resembles eva's Razz
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
It had been about ten years since I had re-watched the series again. I couldn't remember why, but now I can see why people want answers.

It seems to me that Anno went "Here! There's your ending. Chew on that for a while" rather than giving any exact explanations. That's why I've always liked it. It means so many things to so many people.

We haven't had anime title like that, in quite a while. Very Happy
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
BTW You touched on this on the show but I was wondering if there was a more detailed explanation of why the Evangelion manga is so hard to track down? I was lucky enough to piece together all the released volumes so far but always wondered why it's so hard to find, you would think it would be something that would be readily available considering the continuing popularity of Eva.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Rahxephon was a tip of the hat to Brave Reideen, but I don't think it could've turned out the way it did without Evangelion. Then again, Evangelion certainly couldn't have turned out the way it did without Brave Reideen, so round and round we go.

If you want to talk stuff that is hilariously, shamelessly derivative of Evangelion, start with Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventure (which is a very good, very lightweight little parody, if you ask me) and De:Vadasy (which is based on a crummy game that steals robot design and tons of imagery from Eva). That, to me, is Evangelion's true legacy - how it affected subsequent anime.

this, i don't know how anyone can watch Rahxephon and not think of Evangelion.

also, god, Dual, i remember watching that on tv when i was 14, had no idea at the time is was a parody/homage whathaveyou of evangelion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5