• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
crazydumbek wrote:
I saw the show a while back and I really liked it, but I had one major problem with it. spoiler[Koyuki was supposed to have this kick-ass voice that turns peoples heads, but the voice-actor who played him could not carry a tune. It was far too nasal for my tastes. ]

A friend of mine said the same thing a while back. And having gone back and rewatched a few episodes since, I'm inclined to agree, actually. spoiler[Personally, I was actually much more impressed with Maho's singing voice, to be honest.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RedForte03

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
This is by far one of my favorite animes. My friend and I watched it over the summer and fell in love with the OST. I listen to it most days during my breaks at school. While I was not super impressed with Koyuki's voice, I thought it was pretty good for someone so young and untrained. The actor who played Koyuki's speaking voice was not the same actor who played his singing voice. I intend on reading the manga because I was assured by my friend that it was just as good as the anime.
RedComet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Is any company going to license this soon or has a company already acquired it when I haven't been paying attention? I really want to hear this because even with the manga being great the only thing that is missing is sound and I hope the anime will fill that gap well.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Beck is definitely one of the contenders of best anime of 2004, and its totally top 10 material all over... Its one of the few animes that really had me urging for the next episode, and I spent 2 entire nights watching them completely compelled by the characters
And I even grew to love the music, well the moments are just so carefully chosen and just gave me goosebumps. Quality wise maybe not the best music, but it was good enough and like I said: The moments chosen were spot-on.

But so sad they ended it so abruptly just summarizing everything that happens after v11 in the manga in 1 episode Anime cry
Im also sad Tokyopop is releasing the manga so VERY slow :X
4 months wait is a LONG wait for Beck :\
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Haha as many other have said in this thread, I love beck!!! It's defiantly in my top ten with out a doubt. I think it's so damn funny how they portray us Americans. Honestly I didn't think we said the F-word THAT much. If any of you have the opportunity to see beck and haven’t already done so please take the time and do it, you will not regret it.

Also I have heard that the beck manga is unbelievable... I haven’t read it yet, but I don't know how a manga about music can be as effective as the anime. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Be-MCS-cK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching Beck yesterday at about three in the morning. I was hoping to be in bed by twelve, but I couldn't stop watching. Really inspirational series.

My favorite and most emotional part was when spoiler[Yuki stood up on stage by himself and sang "I've Got a Feeling".] That was really awesome.

I'm looking to buy the manga now. I heard Tokyopop is doing the translations. I looked on their website and they only have two volumes done. So only the first to episodes are translated and ready to buy right? I've never bought manga before so this is all Greek (or Japanese rather) to me.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Be-MCS-cK wrote:
I heard Tokyopop is doing the translations.

Actually, I think I remember hearing that they hired the guy who made the fansubs to translate the manga, which would make the entire anime/manga experience that much more fluid.

I haven't had a chance to buy the manga yet, but I skimmed through the first volume a little, and it seemed to be just like the anime and then some. I hope I can start collecting it soon..
Insane E

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
Will be a nice little wait until we pass the Manga the Anime covered Wink From what I have read that will happen around Vol.10 - Vol.12. A nice little gap I know. But after that we will start hitting new ground I hope Smile
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I liked the series so much that I bought the Manga the day it was supposed to come out. But that was back in July, and it's almost October... Still no volume 2?

This is my first manga... never really been into it before, except for reading a volume or 2 of my sister's girly stuff when bored. Is this a common release schedule? 5 months between volumes? I can understand stalling to pace your investment, especially if it's still going in Japan. But it seems to me that the manga's been going on for years over there. I'd think they have enough material for at least a bi-monthly release.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
I liked the series so much that I bought the Manga the day it was supposed to come out. But that was back in July, and it's almost October... Still no volume 2?

This is my first manga... never really been into it before, except for reading a volume or 2 of my sister's girly stuff when bored. Is this a common release schedule? 5 months between volumes? I can understand stalling to pace your investment, especially if it's still going in Japan. But it seems to me that the manga's been going on for years over there. I'd think they have enough material for at least a bi-monthly release.

It could be for many reason. Maybe the first volume didn't sell that well and considering this is along series, TP is waiting for more people to pick up vol. 1 before they continue. Manga sale hasn't beem blooming as it used to be.

A second reason is TP has a huge catalog of manga to produce that lesser popular title get longer release date. Surely a manga company can put out a quality in 1 month period because most translator and editor work on 2 or 3 different per month on their own. Expect translation to pick up once they get vol. 2 out.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I recently bought a Beck manga and it stated in the back that a new volume was coming out in November.
Clodus

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
reviving this thread since i just finished this absolutely amazing series in hopes of encouraging others to try this great series. well i watched the first 10 eps dubbed english first and i have to say it is well done, much better than i exspected. somehow the adolescence crackling voice of koyuki seems to fit him and when they sing, its quite fitting even though some of the verses are changed. i finished watching the whole series subbed which is still superior my opinion both voice and scenes. an example would be of language barrier situations. i am definately going to buy the series and the artbox looks interesting. i rated it a masterpiece and i consider myself critical in what i rate as masterpiece. the scenes are well done and i have grown to like many of their characters.spoiler[at first i didn't like chiba since he looked like just a loudmouth badass but he's actually pretty dependable sticking up for his friends. my favorite scene is the naked pool scene, alot of character development happening] the songs grew on me also and i find myself listening to those songs outside of watching the anime. i liked face, slip out and especially moon on the water

at first i was a bit hesitant about trying out a music type genre since none of them have really impressed me but beck is an exception. i absorbed the series in 2 days and i actually skipped a day in school which i rarely do. im glad i decided to try this series
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alestal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching this series and I loved it a lot. I thought it ended well

spoiler[ I would've liked to see some closure with yuki and maho, and i would've liked to see their tour and all that. I also didn't like how the band split up and then was brought back together, but i suppose it was a necessary twist.] w, and it makes me sad that its over. Im rating this one very good, would've been masterpiece if i didn't get sick of the music so fast... there just too many good english songs for me to really be into ones in japanese
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:
That's one of my gripes of the show, I grew up in NYC and I don't sound like Maho or Ryouskie.

They found native English speakers from the UK to voice the thugs in the show. They should have found native English speakers from NY to voice over Maho or Ryouskie line.

People in Japan won't notice the difference. But could you imagine what mainstream USA will think when they switch over to the Japanese audio track on their DVD. WTF Maho and Ryouskie sound like FOB's instead of people that grew up in NYC.

For it to be more realistic Maho and Ryouskie should speak stilted Japanese and fluent English, not the other way around.

Whoever said in the show that Maho and bro grew up in America? As I recall (and I could be wrong, mind you) they lived in Japan first and then moved to the US for a few years with their dad - when Ryuuske was 12?)

I think that's the case 'cause I remember watching the show and admiring the genius of the production crew to find VA's who actually speak comprehensible English with a Japanese accent to emphasise the fact that the two are Japanese immigrants and don't really belong to either culture. If they were meant to have grown up in NY I wouldn't have had that reaction.

From the English speaking thugs we can see how the crew could have gotten people with perfect English to act as those two but they probably chose not to on purpose just to be more realistic. In fact I'd probably prefer the Japanese dub solely because it gives Maho and Ryuusuke's position (as well as the rest of Beck who are desparate to improve their English) a more authentic feel. Tony K.'s comment is also valid but I don't see why they can't have separate VA's for one character when it's not uncommon for anime characters to have a talking VA and a singing VA at the same time.

As for the F words, look at how you yourself are talking, and you grew up in NY didn't you? Very Happy I'm sorry to say but that's how a lot of teenagers talk nowadays. I don't see that being such a big deal the show's not meant for kids to start with.

Loved what they did for Leon Sykes. But I really have to say they could have found someone that sings better than the Japanese Koyuki. I haven't watched the English version so I can't comment on that.

Great show overall. One of the most stylisticly striking - the opening theme's just pure coolness. Truly worthy to be Paradise Kiss's sister work.

Now I REALLY want to read the manga.

p.s. Be thankful the English-speaking VA's in Beck are in no way as bad as the ones in Speed Grapher. I rest my case.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay I'll make this clear I didn't double post or anything. I edited my post once or twice and that's how it came out Shocked. And for some queer reason I can't even delete the double-ups. I apologise for any visual disturbance Crying or Very sad .

Last edited by nightmaregenie on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10