• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Infinite Stratos (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
I happen to enjoy this series and the second episode was fine!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote
I agree, the show is entertaining. spoiler[It was good to see the blond girl get shaken up a bit and booted off her high horse, even if technically she still won.]
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
vastoceans wrote:
spoiler[I mean, we knew Ichika was the only male on earth that could pilot an IS, right?. It turns out he's even more unique and needs a custom made IS.]

Eh.. he doesn't need a personal machine.. due to a shortage of training machines he was assigned a personal IS, his sister probably pulled some strings for him since she knew Cecilla had a personal IS...
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
vastoceans wrote:
spoiler[I mean, we knew Ichika was the only male on earth that could pilot an IS, right?. It turns out he's even more unique and needs a custom made IS.]

Eh.. he doesn't need a personal machine.. due to a shortage of training machines he was assigned a personal IS, his sister probably pulled some strings for him since she knew Cecilla had a personal IS...

they actually point out why he gets one its for research which usually means they want to find out why as a male he can use it and if there is a way to increase male use of them. R&D will always want to find out why there is an exception to the rule.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
This show has been watchable so far. Strong points for me has been the mecha designs/combat. I like the open-style IS suits, you don't see that very often. Weak points are the stereotypical character dynamics between Ichika and Houki. At this point I will keep watching.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
vastoceans wrote:
ShinobiX wrote:
I say watch first 3 episodes and see if the anime progresses. Logically, you can't just drop or give up on an anime without giving it a chance. That's a quitter's habit. The first episode is the attention grabber. Clearly, they failed.

I won't tell you how to spend your free time if you don't tell me how to spend mine. Wink Waiting for something to "get good" when the opening episodes are bad is generally an exercise in frustration. Just a matter of personal taste. The fact that somebody gets paid to write this stuff would blow my mind if not for the legions of people who apparently gobble the stuff up.

Hmm OK, missed the point and it has nothing directly to do with instructing you on how to spend free time oO.
I said that a crappy 1st episode is not enough of a reason to dump the show. fyi you shouldn't do that with most animes as many have a crappy beginning and superb ending. Bottom line is you will be missing out if that's how you make your choices.

You did not give up on the show. You quit. Giving up implies you gave the show a fair chance and tried to watch it. You watched the first episode and all of a sudden that gives you probable cause to dump the show entirely...personal taste has nothing to do with that type of decision. You just called it/ considering calling quits because you have mixed feelings about an attention grabber episode. Also, known as the least important episode in most animes. The main purpose of the attention grabber episode is to set up the setting, know the names of the cast, and:

get your attention via
explosions
sex
guns
bullets
swords
action basically....
or
creating tension and suspense by other means (creators of IS chose this option)

The above mentioned are superficially and does not dive into the plot line at all (what's important). You learn nothing and can only make inferences, if any, by watching the explosions you see.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
I think the second episode was wayyy better than the first. It's enough that I will probably watch at least the next episode.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
I think the second episode was wayyy better than the first. It's enough that I will probably watch at least the next episode.

i think it will be just new girls for the next 3 eps.
the international harem is on. If you don;t like harem anime, you will probably not like this,
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I've only seen one true harem anime, and I enjoyed it, but so far this one just seems kind of dull in comparison. It's got nice fight scenes, I'll give it that, but I'm not really connecting with any of the characters or the story.

A part of me is tempted to check out the third episode anyways. Maybe I'll like one of the other girls introduced. And that fight scene was pretty.
rojse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the first two episodes, and I think that the mecha animations and battles are brilliant. However, the other eighty percent of the show that doesn't involve giant mecha is rubbish, and not the kind that I can find entertaining, either. I have nothing against a mecha show that spends most of its time with characters rather than battle, but I want this to be entertaining in some manner, whether it be drama, comedy, or developing characters beyond a few tropes at the very least.

From what I've seen so far, I can't really justify continuing to watch the rest of this show unless I hear a lot of good things about the latter episodes.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 just seriously made me raise an eyebrow. Am I the only one who was seriously annoyed at Cecelia's complete 180 towards Ichika? It would be fine if it was actual character development like she claims it to be, but she;s still more or less a bitch to everyone else. At least the whole two childhood friends bit is pretty amusing, though I think anyone who's watched more than one harem-esque series knows what the "promise" Ichika forgot was.

It also seems like there's more or less a pattern worked out for the series. I guess one episode will feature character development/interaction and the next devoted towards mecha battles. Well, I've been enjoying that formula with Star Driver(though both aspects are crammed into a single episode), so it;s not anything problematic as far as entertainment goes.

On a random note, I have to give this show some credit. There isn't NEARLY as much fanservice as the premise would lead you to believe and when it's there, it's actually pretty subtle.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else expect Tsundere #1 to slap him when he indirectly confessed during the sash scene that he's been watching her? I did, and what we got was a sweet dere attitude.

Quote:
Am I the only one who was seriously annoyed at Cecelia's complete 180 towards Ichika?

Well, I'm not, since the woman who voices her also voiced Mio, and regardless of how annoying she may be, she'll be a sweet piece of heaven inside my kind and caring heart forever and ever because we're lovey-dovey for each other.

But yeah, this series ain't shy about its full-blown harem profile.

Quote:
Well, I've been enjoying that formula with Star Driver(though both aspects are crammed into a single episode

At least Star Driver didn't stop in the middle of a mecha fight as often, if ever. I dislike cliffhangers unless I'm marathoning. The mood will be gone by the time next episode arrives.

Quote:
There isn't NEARLY as much fanservice as the premise would lead you to believe and when it's there, it's actually pretty subtle.

And that absolutely sucks! Needs more boobies. Bare boobies. Rarr!
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking they brought in the Chinese girl a bit too early in the series he should have had a bit more time to train if nothing else.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I was begging for fanservice during the changing scene.

My thought process when the spoiler[new childhood friend appeared:

*DUN DUN DUN* A new challenger has appeared!]

Am I the only person who's really really enjoying this show? Honestly, when I'm watching this show, I keep smiling and chuckling at some things. But yeah, I'm liking this harem so far. I honestly have no problem with the cliches.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
^Your not the only one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10