• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Obama Calls for Study on Media & Violence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm pretty sure GTA is British.
Scottish, to be exact; but then, most of the sales are probably American.

As for talk about American culture just being more violent, that's something that you'd have to look into more specifically than just "American" - West Coast culture isn't Midwest culture isn't New England culture isn't Southern culture isn't etc.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I don't believe video games cause people to become violent, however I will say there is probably a reason those kinds of games get made and are popular in America. Media, and art in general, can be a good window into a culture or person's psyche. While playing a game like Manhunt where you have to use the motion controls to simulate ripping out a person's teeth and sever their limbs may not make them violent, there is probably basis for saying the the kind of people who make and play those games are probably fascinated by violence to begin with, or at least desensitized to it that it wouldn't bother them. Or to simply put it, video games don't cause the desire for violence, but that doesn't mean that desire isn't there in the culture to begin with. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's usually American games that get criticized for violence. Maybe they might use "Resident Evil" as an example once in awhile, but they always seem to cite things like Doom, Mortal Kombat, Call of Duty, and Grand Theft Auto... not Final Fantasy or Mario. In that regard, and considering America has a much higher crime rate than other countries, I think it's really just Americans love violence in general and it has nothing to do with video games at all. I think a study focusing on that would be more beneficial to the root of the problem. Other countries which consume far more video-games than America don't really have those kinds of mass shootings or violence, America is an outlier if you compare the statistics. Something there, but who knows what.

I actually concur with this; I've lived in different countries, and America does veer a bit to the violent side for a 1st-world nation, though not quite 3rd-world yet. But as Polycell pointed out, the caveat is that America is a large dispersed nation, so regions can be quite different.

(Heck, I use a similar argument when I mention that Japan is a patriarchal society, just replace "violence" with "sexism," e.g. sexism in J-media, and art in general, can be a good window into a culture or person's psyche... fascinated by sexism to begin with, or at least desensitized to it that it wouldn't bother them, etc etc. Fanservice isn't purely for escapism purposes, y'know - it's what they actually believe.)
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Violence in America is actually at a 30-year low, which interestingly coincides with a rise in video games. Do the two numbers have anything to do with each other? Who knows!
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
(Heck, I use a similar argument when I mention that Japan is a patriarchal society, just replace "violence" with "sexism," e.g. sexism in J-media, and art in general, can be a good window into a culture or person's psyche... fascinated by sexism to begin with, or at least desensitized to it that it wouldn't bother them, etc etc. Fanservice isn't purely for escapism purposes, y'know - it's what they actually believe.)

Confused Do you just sit on these forums all day looking for every little chance to give your typical anti-Japan soapbox or what?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Confused Do you just sit on these forums all day looking for every little chance to give your typical anti-Japan soapbox or what?

Not anti-Japan - every country has its bad and good points and should be able to give and take criticisms. Just keeping it real. Laughing

(Heck, if ya notice, I point out the U.S.' bad points as well. Are ya gonna accuse me of anti-U.S. too? I don't hold any country up on a pedestal; just as well we can reasonably discuss both violence and patriarchal issues.)
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It's a good point to make. While watching Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi I decided to look up what this shows intended audience was and saw that ot was originally aired on Japans Kids Tv station (note however that they DO show adult oriented animes at late night but I can't imagine this show being exclusively for adults) and was a bit confused. Between the panty shots, egregious Gainax bounce, and the main character, Sasshi, literally holding on to an adult woman's breasts for a solid minute, or just plain almost falling asleep on them I begin to wonder: What time of day is this stuff shown? I get the ability for the show to be targeted at kids, but there's a lot more adult stuff here. Broad appeal is possible, since you have a boatload of references to older animes (Space Battleship Yamato and Voltron come to mind) along with the gags involving all the lady parts but I just wonder how this could qualify as a kids show. Anyone know if there's a way to find what a shows regular timeslot was when it originally aired?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm pretty sure GTA is British.

Companies have various branches in various countries it's pretty much hard to pin them down to any one country. Rockstar has studios in America, Canada, and Europe. so I guess it's easier just to say 'the west'.

Sleverin wrote:
What time of day is this stuff shown? I get the ability for the show to be targeted at kids, but there's a lot more adult stuff here. Broad appeal is possible, since you have a boatload of references to older animes (Space Battleship Yamato and Voltron come to mind) along with the gags involving all the lady parts but I just wonder how this could qualify as a kids show. Anyone know if there's a way to find what a shows regular timeslot was when it originally aired?

Sounds like typical Japanese kid's television to me. Since when are breasts "adult stuff"? That kind of content is not sexist nor "adult". Otherwise any girl in or past puberty who steps outside her home in anything less than a burqa is a sexist. Thoguh I suppose that just goes into the old debate of "why is the outside of human body more taboo than the blood and guts inside of it"
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
@TitanXL

It's not that breasts are adult stuff, it's just that I can't remember a time in my childhood where shows just had underage boys being smothered by giant boobs, or fondling them, or really having anything centered around it. I'm not saying it's evil or particularly bad, but I am just rather interested how women just throwing themselves into situations where kids have their faces planted into their chests while being exuberantly happy is kids' television. Now of course, I grew up in America so the standards are different here (we can't have people killing each other for example, if it's robots it's okay and that was a reason that American companies had a hard time airing Astro Boy here was because the robots seemed too human) and I'm not trying to just blanket Japan as some sexist/misogynist country, that would be silly. I'm just surprised that this sort of stuff is more accepted on normal kids tv, my mom would have flipped out and grounded me for a week from tv for it. That's personal experience of course but I'm trying to show a reference point here.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Sleverin wrote:
@TitanXL

It's not that breasts are adult stuff, it's just that I can't remember a time in my childhood where shows just had underage boys being smothered by giant boobs, or fondling them, or really having anything centered around it. I'm not saying it's evil or particularly bad, but I am just rather interested how women just throwing themselves into situations where kids have their faces planted into their chests while being exuberantly happy is kids' television. Now of course, I grew up in America so the standards are different here (we can't have people killing each other for example, if it's robots it's okay and that was a reason that American companies had a hard time airing Astro Boy here was because the robots seemed too human) and I'm not trying to just blanket Japan as some sexist/misogynist country, that would be silly. I'm just surprised that this sort of stuff is more accepted on normal kids tv, my mom would have flipped out and grounded me for a week from tv for it. That's personal experience of course but I'm trying to show a reference point here.

It is just America that is different, hate using the word, but our culture is more puritanical than most of the world. I've worked in several European countries over the years and you would be surprised at some of the stuff that airs on TV over there. Still wished I never saw the Granny commercial in Germany.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is just America that is different, hate using the word, but our culture is more puritanical than most of the world. I've worked in several European countries over the years and you would be surprised at some of the stuff that airs on TV over there. Still wished I never saw the Granny commercial in Germany.

Commercials are pretty different from bawdiness (if that's a word) in kids programming. Nudity and humour sells, but when it comes to defending the youth, I think most of Europe will be pretty conservative as well. It's the same Christian values.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
"tax Teen, Mature, or Adult Only games"

"tax Teen games"

"Excuse me, sir, there's a 1% tax on this Incredibles game. And this game with Pikachu in it."
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Sleverin wrote:
@TitanXL

and I'm not trying to just blanket Japan as some sexist/misogynist country, that would be silly.
No it wouldn't. Just about every Eastern culture treat females, young and old as objects of property, or tools for the means to an end. That's been like that for centuries.
Quote:
I'm just surprised that this sort of stuff is more accepted on normal kids tv, my mom would have flipped out and grounded me for a week from tv for it. That's personal experience of course but I'm trying to show a reference point here.
One has to remember that Japan doesn't have the Judao/Christian hang ups with the naked human body. Never did until they got their rock lifted in 1854, and have had to learn to be embarrassed for most of what they considered everyday life, by their overseas Ambassadors, right up to today.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Removed a comment that was pretty much stereotyping Asians. "Can't say this is wrong" isn't 100% true for every single case in the world and throughout the existence of time. So please don't lump all female-controlling-men as Asian men. -TK]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
It has to be remembered that us Americans go overboard when it comes to our kids, sometimes to their detriment.

While other nations view the natural processes as a part of everyday life.

Just because our nation says its so, doesn't mean its right or that the rest of the world follows our example.

Also, for another difference, look at what nations allows their teens to drink beer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4